• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Download and Installation Catalogue

Started by djp, October 19, 2010, 02:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Many of you may already be aware of the DIC (Download and Installation Catalogue), due to it's growing usage I thought it may be helpful to offer a support forum here at SC4D.

DIC is now onto Version 2, offering new features and additional tools to hopefully make the whole process of managing your plugins a little easier.

For those who don't have the latest version it can be found here - DIC
Along with the support manual - Readme

One of the main features of the DIC is the Download Manager (found via the "file" option above). From here you can keep track of all your downloaded content and install your new plugins to a specific location.

There are numerous other tasks the DIC can handle for you, a few of them being;
  • Backup your plugins folder
  • Cleanup your plugins folder of unneeded files
  • Exclude folders from your plugins folders

Although not required to run the DIC, it works a lot better if you have both BSC Cleanitol and BSC DAT-Packer (both found on the LEX) installed.

If you need additional help or support please post your queries here, or PM me if you prefer.
I can also be reached via email - djp@sc4tools.co.uk

I'll be adding additional details over the coming weeks that cover some of the other features, please let me know if you have any specific areas you would like me to cover.

David
SC4Tools.co.uk

chlamy

Thanks, David, for this post, and to Doc Rorlach & team for such a wonderful tool!  &apls

...or at least that's what I anticipate.  I can't get the DIC to install properly.    :(

Sorry to be such a noob, but when I unzip the dic_release (version 2.0.1.5, downloaded directly from SC4tools website) into my SimCity folder and run the setup.exe, it begins by downloading two files; when the download for the second completes, I get an error message telling me that a new version of the Report Viewer and the install won't complete. 

Am I doing something wrong?  Can I manually downloaded an appropriate version of the Report Viewer somewhere? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!!  :) 

djp

Chlamy:

The problem you encountered has to do with an error on our part. We actually eliminated the Microsoft Report Viewer from our dependecies (too buggy). To correct that we advise you to download the just released DIC version 2.0.3.4, either www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=24593 , or directly www.sc4tools.co.uk/sc4t_downloads.asp from our site</a> .

Once downloaded, use the Setup.EXE (not the MSI file) to run the installation. Everything should run smoothly from there.

Apologies for that error.

Once up and running. If you get stuck with any of the options available, please post them here so I can start putting together some tutorials to help you and the many other users who may have similar issues.

David

djp

DIC Version 2.0.3.4, November 22nd, 2010
The DIC has, once again, received a bunch of fixes and new features. Quickly stated these are:
System:

1. Fixed a nuisance of Vista/Windows 7 that reported the DIC as "Not Responding" during the plugins check;
   2. Added direct access buttons for Region & City Viewer and MD/CJ Editor;
   3. Revised duplicate check and plugins manager to exclude DAMN folders;
   4. Replaced most (but not all) buttons with dual-state buttons;
   5. Fixed bug that would crash the DIC during initial plugins check due to a faulty quote.dat;
New Options:
   1. Added empty folder check both before and after cleaning; this permits the deletion of folders left empty after a cleanup operation or installation;
   2. Added a Back-up Maxis Files option to allow for backups of DAMN folder and other game files;
   3. Added Find Installations; this works similar to the option of the same name in the Download Manager, and also allows uninstalling of manually added plugins;
   4. The Combine Folder option now has a Remove Folder button to enable rearranging folders after an initial addition;
   5. Improved filter behavior in the Download Manager – it now accepts dates as a custom filter thus enabling the listing of downloads obtained after a given date.

The Region & City Viewer, available from both http://www.sc4tools.co.uk our site and the http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=21392', has also received a much needed update. Foremost among the fixes is its full compatibility with Daeley's excellent Region Counter mod (available on the LEX), to show both population reports and a farming report.

Both the DIC and the RCV have had a bit of a visual make-over as well.

Gringamuyloca

:thumbsup:  &apls

Thank you for your continuing support of one of my most loved SC4 'Tools'!

... on my way to update.... ()stsfd()

()flower()    &bis&

edit: Figured I'd use the DIC's  'auto updater' found in the help file. ( current version is 2.0.1.5) I get a message saying that my version is up to date as of  up to date 2010-01-08.. just a heads up
Tamara

djp

Gringamuyloca

Thanks for the kind words :thumbsup:

There was an error with the release date of one of the previous versions of DIC, this has lead to an incorrect auto-update procedure.

It would be best if you download the update directly from our site.
http://www.sc4tools.co.uk/sc4t_downloads.asp

If you have any further problems let me know

David

Gringamuyloca

Hi David, had no problem with the downloading the update directly from your site.. ( I didn't realize the 'update date glitch' carried over to the latest version.)

The only hiccup I discovered is:

The only way to exit the program is through the file menu... it seems the X in the top right corner is not active... ie, no reaction on mouse hover...

Thanks again for sharing your awesome hard work!  ;D

Cheers,
Tamara

Tamara

djp

Hey Tamara,

That's good to hear.

The "X" to close the program has been disabled to ensure DIC closes correctly.
You can either use the File-Exit method, or the very last icon on the bottom right will also close DIC

Let me know if you find any other issues

David

djp

Just released: Download & Installation Catalogue 2.1 , January 31st, 2011

New in this version is:

• Column sorting and filtering downloads in the Download Manager for easy sequential install.
  • Categorizing Downloads

With Version 2.1 categories come to the Download Manager:
Downloaded Archives found in subfolders within the DIC's default download folder are automatically categorized (using the name of the folder).

Note: Only the first level within the default download folder is used - any deeper levels are ignored!

During the initiall installation (or first run after an upgrade), default categories are created (but not applied), based on the in-game menus. Users can change these, of course, via the Category Maintenance available from the Developer Menu on the main DIC screen, or the Process Menu on the Download Manager screen.

The easiest way to categorize is, of course, during the actual downloading: point your browser to the respective subfolder rather than the default location, and the category is automatically added. With Firefox and Chrome you can change the browsers options to ask you every time where you want to save a download.

For first time users, the DIC can be downloaded from our site's download page  - still the fastest method.
Existing users (who have at least version 2.0) can use the Check for Updates option from the Help menu on the main DIC window. As of January 31, 2011, the SC4 Tools will be available only from our site - nowhere else.

Other tools recently updated include the Region & City Viewer, and the MD/CJ Editor Mark II

You know what to do if you have a question

Cheers

David

bap

The level of support and the professionalism with which you guys handle this suite of programs is remarkable and much appreciated  :thumbsup: .

djp

Thanks Bap,

It's nice to know some of our efforts are appreciated  ;D

Anything you need, just shout

David

djp

Just released: DIC Version 2.1.0.9:

In order to make categorizing downloads easier and quicker, we have now added a Category Menu. This will list, alphabetically, up to thirty categories, plus the Uncategorize option (moves downloads back into the SC4 Stuff/Downloads root folder).

Also new in this version is the View Menu: it holds all sorting options plus a Unsorted option which resets the download listing to its default view (newest items first). The Logbook and Team Chart options have been moved from their original location (Downloads Menu) to this here View Menu.

Plus we made a few minor fixes regard MIAs (downloads missing in action). These are now "officially" excluded from all file operations such as moving or categorizing. Users of any versions starting with 2.0 can simply use the Help Menu -> Check for Updates option to upgrade. Users of older versions will need to re-install the DIC. Both the full version and the update are also available from the SC4 Tools site.

AxemanACL

.NET Framework Error

Hi, I just downloaded DIC version 2.1.0.9 from your website.  This is my first time using DIC.  After installed DIC, I attempted to start it up by using the DC catalog shortcut.  I get the DC Catalog windows start where it "gathers required information".  Then my UAC pops up, I hit yes and then the following happens:

Since it had the .NET framework in it, I downloaded the newest version from Microsoft's website, this did not seem to do anything, as did reinstalling DIC.

If I hit continue I can continue on in the program and use the menus/preference, etc, but the message pops up with what seems like every new click.  Also the Working Mans Productions window seen in the screen shot stays frozen behind the rest of the program.

I am running Windows 7 64bit.

If you know what the problem is and how to fix it, your help would be greatly appreciated, (I need to get my plugins folder under control).

Thank you once again.

PS: Here is a copy paste of the Exception Text

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Argument 'Length' must be greater or equal to zero.
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Strings.Mid(String str, Int32 Start, Int32 Length)
   at DL_Catalogue.sysDef.getDir(String fName)
   at DL_Catalogue.sysDef.Initialize()
   at DL_Catalogue.frmCatalogue.frmCatalogue_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

djp

Hi Axeman,

The problem appears to be a local one – file or folder name evaluating to zero length because of access rights:
You must be
a) administrator of the PC
b) UAC must be turned off (set to Zero).

There are simply too many file operations in the DIC to permit the use of UAC. Because UAC and DIC operate within different memory streams/threads, there will be constant collisions.

Let me know if this solves your problems, if not we can then look at other areas.

David

AxemanACL

David,

No luck, I am the admin, turned UAC off and tried running in pretty much every compatibly/run as admin mode possible.  Same error message came up.  Note that the "Argument 'Length' ... to zero" only shows up in that initial screen.  All later error messages have "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" instead, and this does occur every time a new window is created within the program (click file- manage, then it pops up.)  Google didn't help, only things I could find related involved coding that was way over my head.

If you can't see the solution to the problem quickly don't worry about it, I don't want to waste too much of your time.  Thanks again for your help.

-Adam

djp

Adam,

No problem, and it's not wasting my time :)

Can you just confirm a couple of details please

1. Did you install the database when installing DIC?
2. Is SC4 & DIC installed in their default locaton?

It would be handy to have a testtool report.
you can get it from our site http://sc4tools.co.uk/index.asp
and then send me the report to djp@sc4tools.co.uk

Cheers

David

AxemanACL

Was able to resolve the problem.  Was a stupid little thing.  The problem was that DIC had my installation folder slightly wrong.  The actual SC4 application was installed here

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition\Apps

while DIC thought it was

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SimCity™ 4 Deluxe Edition

I had just assumed that that was the correct install path, it sure looks like it on first glance.  So if anyone else gets this problem, there is your solution.

djp

The DIC (Ver. 2.1.1.3) just had an update, available as usual via the DIC Help Menu - Check for updates, or via the SC4 Tools site. Apart from some minor fixes for stuff discovered during house-keeping, we added the Dependency Browser.
This is a simple tool utilizing BSC Cleanitol™ files by scanning them for possible URLs.

To use it, you must a) haveBSC Cleanitol™ installed, and b) have one or more text files listing both dependencies and their URLs.

When the dialog opens it scans the Cleanitol folder for such files, listing all dependencies for which URLs exist. You can add listings by scanning other folders, and you can visit the URL by selecting it in the list and clicking the Browse button. This will display the mini-Browser below the list. The Stop button closes the browser.

Note: most online file exchanges require membership and you may have to log in before you can download.

Currently, the Dependency Browser does not check if you already have the listed item (planned for future releases).

smstevenms

&apls I must say this is the best tool SimCity4 has seen, and I'm amazed that you give it away. How can I send a post card of my gratitude?

I had a time trying to get this to fully download from your site. Had old version but I haven't been playing SC4 much so I've started clean. Seems I was having a similar issue as previous poster. It seems the SC4 Installation path has to be pointed to the SC4 .exe, which in my case was the "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps" location.

Mostly wanted to say thanks for providing this tool.

djp

Quote from: smstevenms on March 14, 2011, 10:09:22 PM
&apls I must say this is the best tool SimCity4 has seen, and I'm amazed that you give it away. How can I send a post card of my gratitude?

I had a time trying to get this to fully download from your site. Had old version but I haven't been playing SC4 much so I've started clean. Seems I was having a similar issue as previous poster. It seems the SC4 Installation path has to be pointed to the SC4 .exe, which in my case was the "C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps" location.

Mostly wanted to say thanks for providing this tool.

Hi smstevenms,

Sorry for not replying sooner - been on of those weeks...

Thank you for the kind words, no post card is necessary - but a brown bag full of used notes wouldn't go amiss  :thumbsup:

The latest release of DIC has had a process added to check the apps folder has been selected, hopefully this will stop anyone else having the same issue.

Anything else you need just ask and I'll help where I can

David