• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Picture Competition

Started by Masochist, March 26, 2007, 01:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

namspopof

Haljackey - 0
Ol.S Benoit - 5
STRATEGIUM ALLIANCE
The French site for strategic simulation in real time, member of French associative network Jeux-Stratégie.com
My BAT for SC4
ToutSimCitiesFrench site for SC4.

Jayster

Quote from: cmdp123789 on May 31, 2012, 08:54:39 AM
Ok... I really like the pictures... but I find that lately... basically the same kind of pictures win. Im not against the TOP player that know how to photoshop, work with the LE like pros, mod, tweak... etc... but what Im saying is that in order to have more people to participate this thread could be divided into categories, in which if you are not an expert at the game you wont be facin Ols benoit or kelis... or you know... so that we can make a little bit more open for everybody and at the same time there are no "advantages", what do you guys think?

I had been thinking about this too for the longest time. That is one of the reasons why I no longer post pictures because after about 5+ times of getting one round away from going to the HOF and then being beat 8 - 0 by a picture of stuff that has been created completely by use of lot editor and not grown, you begin to give up.

I'm not ragging on anybodies pictures at all, they are really beautiful and so life like, but it it is just demoralizing when you work hard on something and then it looses. Oh well, that's life. Back to voting.

Haljackey - 1
Ol.S Benoit - 5

Jayster

unit2981

Ok... I really like the pictures... but I find that lately... basically the same kind of pictures win. Im not against the TOP player that know how to photoshop, work with the LE like pros, mod, tweak... etc... but what Im saying is that in order to have more people to participate this thread could be divided into categories, in which if you are not an expert at the game you wont be facin Ols benoit or kelis... or you know... so that we can make a little bit more open for everybody and at the same time there are no "advantages", what do you guys think?

At the same time, the amount of effort and dedication they put into making those pictures makes them deserving of the HoF. It's only a matter of practice and experience, like anything else in the world. I have submitted several and have only won once, but that has not discouraged me from submitting my work here.
Haljackey - 1
Ol.S Benoit - 6
Come and visit Kita-Kaikyo Prefecture!
<a href="http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=14462">

weixc812

Haljackey - 1
Ol.S Benoit - 7
I agree with the idea that the thread divided into two or more sections
But the votes may be dispersed and the contest will be hard to go on
So...keeping the contest as it is may be the only way proper at this moment
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

Haljackey - 1
Ol.S Benoit - 8 

art128

That was three rounds for Benoit, making his picture into the Hall of Fame.

We need two new challengers.

To put my words on the question:

Making categories for the competition at first seems like a good idea, but deep inside it is not. We already had to put back the votes from 10 to 8 in order to finish the rounds faster,  and even now sometimes rounds can last for more than two days.
With categories, It's not only this part of the competition that will be forgotten, but every single one will be. People will come to vote to one category, but will not on the others for lack of time or whatsoever. and thus I'm afraid we will have to put the vote to five.
I agree, than it can be a little annoying at first to loose 8-0 against Benoit, Yann or anyone else, but trust me, I have made the experience loosing again and again. It's not because of that that I stopped coming here to compete or to vote. No, this gave me even more desire to continue, to persevere my works, to detail everything so that the next time it will be my time.
Even if I loose again, what's the matter? I don't care, because it makes me happy to see other people trying there hand, and making it to the HoF. After all, it's just a game. You'll get nothing in your life if your picture is in the HoF here, so take it easy. if you loose, try again another time. By patience and perseverance your time will come.
People do not vote by personal preference like " he's my friend so I'll vote for him "  ( I seriously hope so. )but they vote for what their heart tell them. They like one picture, they vote for it. They see something disturbing in the picture, they explain and vote for the other one ( so that the challenger can see, take into account and avoid that mistake next time.)
Sure, we you see someone competing all the time again and again, it can be frightening, this is why we encourage " small " players ( I hate using that word, nobody's talk compared to someone else, we are all equal. We can all make it, just not a little bunch of LE users or MMPs players.) to take part in the competition. If your picture catch the eyes and hearts, you may get the HoF's doors opened to you.
Therefore, we don't need more categories. It'll make things even slower everywhere, and some will even get no activity at all. Plus, we already have the thematic competition we can bring back once a year or twice a year ( or more if we have enough people to organize and schedule.)

QuoteThat is one of the reasons why I no longer post pictures because after about 5+ times of getting one round away from going to the HOF and then being beat 8 - 0 by a picture of stuff that has been created completely by use of lot editor and not grown, you begin to give up.

jayster, don't say that. Don't be discouraged by that, but on the contrary, let it gives you even more boost, let it makes you want even more to try the competition.  I've seen several time the same competitor(s) again and again after one or two challenge. If people start thinking like you, we will run out of pictures very fast! Even if you loose, what's the matter? It's a game, just a game made for having fun with other people. So keep posting your pictures. I'm sure one day, sooner or later, You will get access to the HoF. And that day, I'll be the first one to congratulate you.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Ol.S / Benoit

Thanks a lot for your votes guys :)

Just for you to note, I lost 5 times in a raw before posting this picture, so it can happen to anyone... And sometimes I even feel like this is not fair, but this is why I like it, taste is something special ! :)

Also, most of the people here do not vote considering the amount of effort puted into making a picture, but for the picture they prefer, even if its very simple. And I think that this is a good thing. But you sure have to master some tools to be able to create your own style, and make people like your picture...
Here is a picture with a few stuff, but perfect style from Girafe (Went to the HoF) http://nsa19.casimages.com/img/2010/10/07/101007072445699396.jpg

Get your own style, try to create something new, and if you don't want to, have fun anyway ! You never know, you could go to the HoF... (Well not if you are vs Weixc812 cause he never loses ^^ )

PS : If we talks about statistics, if more people are voting and participating, more pictures will get to the HoF. Usually, if your picture goes to the HoF, you don't compete immediately after that... Then, more votes = more opportunities to get to the HoF for anyone.
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

noahclem

Quote from: Jayster on May 31, 2012, 04:18:30 PM

I had been thinking about this too for the longest time. That is one of the reasons why I no longer post pictures because after about 5+ times of getting one round away from going to the HOF and then being beat 8 - 0 by a picture of stuff that has been created completely by use of lot editor and not grown, you begin to give up.

I'm not ragging on anybodies pictures at all, they are really beautiful and so life like, but it it is just demoralizing when you work hard on something and then it looses. Oh well, that's life. Back to voting.

Haljackey - 1
Ol.S Benoit - 5

Jayster

I think for every time I've gone to the HoF I've lost in the third round 5 times. It took many tries before my first time and when I finally went to the HoF it was mostly luck and not a particularly good picture. Since then, in two years of trying, I believe I've only went to the HoF one more time. If a picture is good enough to win twice many people are scared to even compete so the challenger is usually an exceptionally good picture. It can be very frustrating but the thing that makes getting to the HoF special is that it doesn't happen all the time and it is very difficult.

Anyway, might as well play  ;D

RickD

I believe I've never even made it through the first round.  :P

Anyway:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

vester

weixc812

noahclem - 1
RickD -1

Photoshopping is a little weird Raphael, but I think you will pass first round soon  :thumbsup:
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here

Haljackey

I think what can happen is this competition could be split, since the variety of images here varies considerably.

For example, have screenshots that are photoshopped in one category and another without any or minimal editing.
-The same can be done for things like urban vs. rural pictures.

The 24 hour voting period would have to be lifted though... perhaps 3 days instead or just wait till someone reaches 10 votes.

Back to voting:

noahclem - 12

RickD -1

EDIT - Corrected the score. - Arthur/moderator

Girafe

haha I didn't remember this pic Benoît, it is so ugly.

I will not write lot of words as my colleagues already resumed very well the situation.

I just would like to say that the main thing is to participate, anyway the result, you win it's good, you lost it's life and one day you will win for sure  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Kergelen

noahclem - 1 2

RickD -2

EDIT - Corrected the score. - Arthur/moderator

Links to SC4 websites

nas-t

noahclem - 1

RickD - 4 (cause Haljackey & weixc812 both voted for rick, but didnt count right)

Wrong. The score should be this:

noahclem - 2

RickD - 3

As both Haljackey and weixc812 votes were for Noahclem.

Arthur/moderator

sorry arthur... it was more a question than speaking in their names. but something was wrong there. im sorry

Girafe

I am not sure Haljackey wanted to vote for someone,and if he was mistaken the current score should be:

noahclem - 2

RickD - 3

As he let noahclem in bold
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

Quote from: Girafe on June 02, 2012, 11:07:14 AM
noahclem - 2

RickD - 3

nas-t you were wrong. How can you tell they voted for Rick when Noah's name is in Bold?! Be more careful next time you take affirmation.

THIS is the correct score.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vortext

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

mave94

MandelSoft

Lurk mode: ACTIVE