• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM - General Discussions

Started by RippleJet, May 01, 2007, 01:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

(short explanation in German)

@FromTheAshes: Du hast ja sicher schon gemerkt, daß man große Wolkenkratzer nur bekommt, wenn man auch eine große Stadt bzw. Region hat; aber auch wenn man diese Voraussetzungen erfüllt, ist es sehr schwer, die wirklich ganz dicken BATs zu bekommen. Das liegt hauptsächlich daran, daß das Spiel Gebäude ab ca. 8.000 Einwohner nicht mehr so richtig "unterstützt". Der Mod von RippleJet setzt nun dieses Limit auf ca. 20.000 hoch und erweitert gleichzeitig die Anzahl der Stages von den originalen 8 auf 15. Das bedeutet, daß in Zukunft viel größere Gebäude bzw. Lots erstellt werden können, die dann auch noch problemlos wachsen. Gerade für Leute, die viel mit großen Städten spielen, wird dies eine echte Bereicherung sein. :)
Andreas

Krio

Will you modify e.g all BSC lots and buildings for this mod? I would happy to make my buildings as CAM-buildings. Allthough I have only one skyscraper now.. :-\

RippleJet, could you explain more of this mod for me in Scandinavian support forum as Finnish because I have great intrest for this? Tehcnical english stuff isn't allways easy to understand   &mmm

freedo50

I would love to test this! It sounds like a great new addition to the game, and it will probably end up being as infulential as the NAM is. I'm assuming one of the BSC team will contact me with info on where to get the d/l from. Also you mentioned watching out for stage 8's that will stop the correct flow of the mod; is there a way to find out which ones these are?

Fred

schooner2

Wow, this is an incredible mod.  It will be alot of work to un-install all of the RES, CO and CS BATs and then re-install the CAM-compliant ones, however. Great work..nonetheless!
"Proclaiming your religion, race, ethnicity, gender just cheapens your image.  After all, aren't we all just human?"  - Anonymous

RippleJet

Andreas, vielen Dank für deine genaue Erklärung! :thumbsup:

Quote from: mightygoose on May 03, 2007, 07:29:36 AM
well what kind of occupancies are we looking at for stage 15 lots..... is it considerably past the 10,000 mark, if so how far....

Alongside with the development of the CAM, the formulas for calculating the occupancy in PIM have been revised. The outcome of this work will be published later in another thread. However, especially industrial buildings, with occupancies as suggested by Maxis PIM, will probably not fit in well with those buildings that are made for the CAM.

We have not yet settled for how large occupancies we will recommend as being the maximum. However, in any case we need to consider that all occupancy values, including any dilapidated values, need to be below 65,536 (64K).

Quote from: mightygoose on May 03, 2007, 07:29:36 AM
EDIT: and furthermore when i am selecting a growth stage for a building i assume i can just enter numbers up to 15 instead of 8 and the game will deal with it accordingly when the mod is installed. is that correct?

In order for the development to function as intended, it is important that each higher stage has a denser population than each previous stage. Thus the stage is depending not only on the occupancy of the building, but also on the size of the lot. The higher the occupancy and the smaller the lot, the higher the stage will be.

The values in the table below show the recommendations on what population density (jobs/residents per tile) that will trigger each growth stage to be selected for the CAM.
The stage in the leftmost column should be selected, if the population density exceeds the corresponding value in the table:

Stage
   R$$$
     R$$
       R$
 CO$$$
   CO$$
 CS$$$
   CS$$
     CS$
   I-HT
     I-M
     I-D

You may still select a growth stage immediately above or below the suggested one, within a rather tight tolerance, eg. in order to fit several buildings belonging to the same family into the same stage.

Quote from: Bengt on May 03, 2007, 10:24:50 AM
Will you modify e.g all BSC lots and buildings for this mod?

The prime objective is to make sure there are enough lots available for all stages.
In due time, those that need to be modified for the CAM, may be modified.

Quote from: Bengt on May 03, 2007, 10:24:50 AMRippleJet, could you explain more of this mod for me in Scandinavian support forum as Finnish because I have great intrest for this? Tehcnical english stuff isn't allways easy to understand  :-\

Try to understand the numbers in here at least, and ask whatever additional questions you might have in the Scandinavian support forum ;)

FromTheAshes

Thanks all for declarin it, now I understand! Great stuff... Are there many buildings that will NOT be compatible anymore, as scorer said?
Visit Vorsfelde.

RippleJet

Yes, several industries and almost all existing stage 8 buildings.
They might still grow in the CAM, but they would make the development more difficult.

Rayden

I have two questions:

- 1 - Will the old lots be compatible with the CAM, even if avoidness would be preferable?

- 2 - Will it be possible to update those lots with, for instance, the reader or sc4tool without having to re-lot them again?

BarbyW

Updating the lots could cause game crashes so it will be much better to save the lots under a new IID and then mod from there. Ri^pplejet has already hinted a new development so you would need to wait for that rather than guess at numbers anyway. The beta testers will know more about this.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Rayden

mightygoose

thankyou very much, well looking at your table a CO$$ 6x6 base tower to be stage fifteen would need to have approximately 32688 jobs. this does answer my question. i do think there is one tower if the stage was altered would be appropriate. ATPX released a tower for R$$ with 8950 occupants.... on a 4x4 lot thus fitting in to stage fourteen of your chart, would i then assume thus that the only changes required for that lot would be to change the development stage of the lot to 14? or would other additional things need to be modded for it to work with the mod.

secondly. with the top end stage fifteen, is it similiar to current stage 8 in the fact that buildings with even higher densities than feasable can still be grown. such as KD5RAX's tapei lite with 16,000 CO$$ being possible to grow at stage 8, would for example my farpoint suites tower, 6x6 lot and 45,563 CO$$ jobs, meaning a job density of 1266 per tile, would that grow in the same way at stage 15, and if not would it remain undelapidated if plopped??
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

thundercrack83

This looks like yet another project that is going to completely revolutionize this game! From what I could pick up, the CAM will be raising the populations of cities almost exponentially! I can't wait to see some more development with this. Fantastic work to RippleJet and everyone who is contributing to this!

RippleJet

Quote from: mightygoose on May 03, 2007, 01:24:53 PM
thankyou very much, well looking at your table a CO$$ 6x6 base tower to be stage fifteen would need to have approximately 32688 jobs. this does answer my question. i do think there is one tower if the stage was altered would be appropriate. ATPX released a tower for R$$ with 8950 occupants.... on a 4x4 lot thus fitting in to stage fourteen of your chart, would i then assume thus that the only changes required for that lot would be to change the development stage of the lot to 14? or would other additional things need to be modded for it to work with the mod.

As with all existing buildings that have been made by Maxis PIM, there are several properties that might have been given incredible values. In order to make a good CAM building, I would suggest to wait till we have the appropriate tool for making them, both for the building properties and for the lot stage.

Quote from: mightygoose on May 03, 2007, 01:24:53 PM
secondly. with the top end stage fifteen, is it similiar to current stage 8 in the fact that buildings with even higher densities than feasable can still be grown. such as KD5RAX's tapei lite with 16,000 CO$$ being possible to grow at stage 8, would for example my farpoint suites tower, 6x6 lot and 45,563 CO$$ jobs, meaning a job density of 1266 per tile, would that grow in the same way at stage 15, and if not would it remain undelapidated if plopped??

This would depend on where we decide to put the maximum demand range. Beta testing is looking at this, but we are experiencing some issues if we go too high, so I doubt a growable building with 45,563 jobs would be possible.

The question about dilapidation is, as always, depending on supply and demand. Whether there is a need for 45,563 CO$$ jobs in one single block is a question that the CAM will neither help you with, nor make more difficult.

mightygoose

thanks so there will be a specific tool/tutorial on how to make buildings CAM compatible. i would like to be included in the beta test if that is not a problem.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Shadow Assassin

QuoteWe have not yet settled for how large occupancies we will recommend as being the maximum. However, in any case we need to consider that all occupancy values, including any dilapidated values, need to be below 65,536 (64K).

Actually, it's 65535. The values range between 0 and 65535, which gives us 65536 values to work with.

This is a brilliant concept, though. I wish you the best of luck getting it working in a way that holds the most benefit for gameplay.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

tommiej

this is a great new project!! i already heard somewhere that there were 15 stages, but maxis let the last 7 unused(just like the ANT)
So when this is released, to be used properly, all the buildings (growable) must be changed to be used with the CAM, because else the would mess up the growth. are plopables also affected by this mod?   
Men's imagination is exceeding his capabilities, that's why men is still dreaming.

RippleJet

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 03, 2007, 08:53:58 PM
Actually, it's 65535. The values range between 0 and 65535, which gives us 65536 values to work with.

Yes, 65,535 is the highest value below 65,536 (which is 64K). :P

Quote from: tommiej on May 05, 2007, 03:15:35 AMare plopables also affected by this mod?

No, since only growables are bound to stages, ploppables will not be affected by the CAM.

snorrelli

How will this affect existing development - cities that already are full of what are currently stage 8 skyscrapers? Will this only be advisable to use on new cities?
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.

RippleJet

There will probably be issues with too many (and too large) existing stage 8 buildings and changed industrial capacities, but it's too early to tell yet.
Beta testing should reveal what recommendations we will have.

Currently we are testing Beta version 4, and concentrating on building up the regions from scratch.
Later tests will include using the CAM on existing, built-up regions.

MAS71

I(we) have simply question abou CAM. ()what()

Should I download many "Prop Packs" that has already been uploaded on LEX now?
"HKABT-NHP Dmscopio MEGA Props" , "ks_jpn MEGA Props" , "NDEX ITS MEGA Props" ,,,and more packs.
or
Is it brought together and the distribution schedule again of as "Prop Pack for CAM (for example name)"?

If we'll download these packs after open to publish the CAM,
It worries about the thing that the access concentrates with LEX. (huge load to server)  $%Grinno$%

Thank you. ;)