• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Emil's inn - maps and more

Started by emilin, September 26, 2008, 03:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebes

So - this is where you're hiding nowadays. Glad I found the track.. You made great maps - and the last one has a great name too (Anna Valley).  I will return to see what else you'll be doing here...
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

emilin

Quote from: sebes on October 05, 2008, 11:39:08 AM
So - this is where you're hiding nowadays. Glad I found the track.. You made great maps - and the last one has a great name too (Anna Valley).  I will return to see what else you'll be doing here...

Hi there! Good to see you around!

Well, the first 2 packs of the 14 summits project are almost ready for release now. They will both be LEX exclusive, and uploaded in a few days.

Meanwhile I started on another map. I think of it as an Arctic Archipelago (the two main islands are actually Jan Mayen and Björnöya) but it can probably be used just as well as a tropical environment. The process is the same as with Anna Valley - real terrain data, modified and composed together with handterraformed features in the Terraformer. It is about half finished at this point:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

blade2k5

Looking real sharp there emil :thumbsup:  Superb work on this latest project &apls

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

metarvo

I knew that you would come back to island maps, Emil.  Since I am already aware of your talent in this department, I must say that I have been looking forward to this. :)  It turns out that the wait was worthwhile.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

papab2000

Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

art128

this map is looking goos my friend  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Simpson

Wow, emilin this map is absolutly splendid
Great work  :)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

thundercrack83

What a lovely map, my friend! And it's just another in a series of wonderful maps you've made here!

Keep up the good work!

Dustin

emilin

Thanks for all your nice and supportive comments! :thumbsup:

And yes, metarvo, I'm back to islands. ;D

The first two packs of the 14 summits project has now been released on the LEX only:
Pack I: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1808
Pack II: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1809

And, since these are rather special maps, with extremely high elevation drops there is a recommended dependecy aswell. Adam (Ennedi) has developed a High Altitude Patch that makes it possible to develop these maps up to the very top of the mountains. Without it the terrain at high altitudes will collapse when terraformed or built upon.
High Altitude Patch, by Ennedi: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1807

-----------------

I'm feeling almost done with the arctic archipelago map now.

I have tested it with several different terrain mods. Here is what it looks like with Tereisu's Arctic mod:

It looks ok, but I'm not to crazy about the pinkish tone at high altitudes. I also found another arctic mod in my folders (can't remember where I orginally got it, sorry...):

Whiter and better, but it lacks a bit of the "coldness" of Tereisu's mod. I also tried the old Columbus mod for "summer" pictures and it looks pretty good too:

Of course, this map can work as a tropical environment too, but I will leave that for the user to try out. ;D

Here's the map file as it looks right now. Please note that I have handterraformed the sea floor specifically to make use of underwater flora. There are extensive sand banks along parts of the shore, and other parts are much steeper (for whale watching along the cliffs). I'm pretty proud of that particular detail, actually... :satisfied:

BlackwaterEmil's inn

blade2k5

Great looking island map emilin :thumbsup:

QuoteWithout it the terrain at high altitudes will collapse when terraformed or built upon.

That's weird, I've built as high as 15,000-16,000 feet and never experienced a 'collapse' when building at high altitudes.

dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

emilin

Quote from: blade2k5 on October 12, 2008, 01:29:57 PM
Great looking island map emilin :thumbsup:

That's weird, I've built as high as 15,000-16,000 feet and never experienced a 'collapse' when building at high altitudes.

I'm not an expert modder, but as I understand the problem, each terrain mod has a "max height" for development. I think the Maxis terrain has 2.400 meters, and the Olympic terrain has 4.000 meters. If you terraform or build above that specific height the terrain will automatically "collapse" down to the max height. I have experienced it myself with these maps.

What the patch does is raise the max height to 5.000 meters for all terrain mods.

BlackwaterEmil's inn

art128

awesome map you do there my friend  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

papab2000

blade2k5

I still find that odd because like I said, it's never happened to me with any of the Cycledog terrain mods I've used, but I'm not going to argue the point. 

Anyways, your maps are really good and I look forward to seeing what you toss our way next :thumbsup:

Simpson

This map is absolutely splendid, and also so réalistic  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

emilin

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I am now working on packs III and IV of the 14 Summits Project, and I hope to have them packed and ready for release this week. I can, however, not make any promises since my wife is just days away from having a child right now. So, I might be off to the hospital in a hurry at just about any time.

Anyways, here are three more of the worlds highest mountains...

Manaslu

Manaslu is a beautiful mountain, but unfortunatly the topographic data don't do justice to this summit in SC4M format. It's still a good looking map, but I would have hoped for even better.

Nanga Parbat

This map, on the other hand, turned out very much like the actual mountain. The famous Rupal face is spot on.

Annapurna

I am fascinated by this mountain. It's only the tenth highest in the world, but when compairing the number of successful summits with the number of fatalities it turns out to be the deadliest of all the +8000m mountains. And it's not even that technically difficult. It's the exposure and avalanches that are the real dangers on Annapurna.

Edit: added region pictures with names marked out.

BlackwaterEmil's inn

Vandy

Hello, emilin.

I would be doing you an injustice if I didn't take time to post in your thread.  I can see that the NHP has greatly gained by adding you as a member.  Your maps are superb!  I am especially taken by your 14 Summits Project.  I most certainly will have to look into your high altitude mapping work.  These maps are beautiful and I certainly appreciate your sharing them with the community.

Take good care and congratulation to you and your wife on your (pending) child.

Regards,

Gary (Vandy)

In the end you will see, you is you and me is me.  © May 29, 1980

papab2000

Very nice work Emil  &apls These look great.  :thumbsup: Congratulations to you and your wife.  ;)

metarvo

I hope you and your wife (and the new child) do well, Emil.  So, it looks like you're up in the mountains again.  This is a very detailed map, even if it would be difficult to develop.  I look forward to the next one. :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

emilin

Vandy: Wow! Thank you so much, Vandy. It's nice to hear such words from the mapping legend himself. Thanks! The child is still "pending", but any day now...

papab2000: Thanks a bunch!

metarvo: Thank you! I'm glad you like it.

----------------

Pack III of the 14 Summits Project is now up on the LEX here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1859

I have also released a larger map of the Central Karakorum on the STEX here: http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=20693

BlackwaterEmil's inn