• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Problem Finding Prop

Started by Jayster, December 07, 2010, 05:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayster

Hi,

I'm trying to create a personal lot for myself using a prop from the SFBT team. However, when I went into the the LE, I had some issues finding this prop.

These props belong to only the SFBT Microwave Powerplant. There is one specific prop I'm looking for but can't find. It's: SFBT_MKW_Empfangsschussel (0x501f4fet). There are three props for that lot according to the .dat in the file. The first time I opened up the LE it only showed me two (the one left out was the one mentioned above). I tried closing down the LE, deleting the lot from my Plugins folder, re-installing the lot and then opening it back up into the LE to see if they all appeared. This time, only ONE prop showed up in the SFBT_MKW list. It's really odd because they all show up on the lot in the LE and in the game. I'm not sure what to do.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Jayster

Lowkee33

The three props are found in SFBT_MKW_Props (which comes with the download).  I can only think that the LE is not working properly, perhaps there is too much stuff in you plugin folder.

I would suggest using PIMX for this, as it lets you pick what files you want to open, and shows pictures of the prop/model. 

Jayster

I think that actually may be the case... that would explain why I can't find any of tabi's plane props... thanks!

Jayster

mrbisonm

That's a mistake a lot of "new" Lotters do. The file is surely good. I have seldom seen a broken propfile and I don't think it's got anything to do with this SFBT file.

Here's what you're gonna do.
- Make sure you got the Prop file in your Plugins folder (MyDocuments)
- Open the LE and create a several grid lot, something I always use is 8x8.
- Then look for the prop you need in the menu and plop it.
- Now you can reduce the lot to whatever size you want it to be, even 1x1.

With the 1x1 the prop will probably overhang if it is bigger than a 1x1.

Here's what happened why you didn't find it:

Your lot (grid) was too small for that specific prop,

example: The lotgrid you made is 2x2 and the prop needs a 2x3.

so the LE did NOT include it in the menu (it's too large for your lot). You just have to create the lotsize needed for that prop too be able to see it in the LE menu and if you don't exactly know the size of that prop, you be better off by starting (or enlargening) the lot to 8x8 or more if needed. Most props will fit on a 8x8 (including tabi props), although some need bigger ones.
So, the next time you're sure you got that prop in your Plugins folder and it doesn't show up, enlargen your lotsize (grid) until it will show up in the menu.

Simple as that.
Good luck and let me know if this worked. ;) (although I'm pretty sure it did)

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Andreas

Fred is right, this is indeed one of the most common issues when a prop seems to be "missing". Even if a prop would fit on a, say, 3x3 lot, you often have to make it a bit larger in order to see it in the list. Luckily, this can be done at any time (and reverted again just after placing the prop, so it's just a minor nuisance.
Andreas

Jayster

It worked!

Thanks Fred!  :thumbsup:

Jayster

mrbisonm

Quote from: Jayster on December 08, 2010, 08:59:42 PM
It worked!

Thanks Fred!  :thumbsup:

Jayster

My pleasure, glad it worked out for you. Good luck.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)