• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

How to make a lot really transparent.

Started by jeronij, November 07, 2006, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akallan

I deleted the texture line (0x00000002), and then I did "Reindex LotConfig".
This removes the textures of the lot, but when I build water mains and I come back to the surface. Lots bug with transparent textures like the picture I posted in it.

How MandelSoft a-til done to eliminate 100% texture LotEditor? Looking at the model of the Swiss motorway signs we see in the LE there is more texture at all on the lot ... If I could do the same, it would settle all problems can be?
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

mgb204

It's difficult to understand quite why you are having problems. If you remove all the texture lines, it should work. You don't need a special texture for this, you simply do not use any textures at all.

Whilst the Maxis LE won't let you save a lot without base textures, PIM-X will, which is probably easier than messing the Reader.

Perhaps when you were working in the Lot Editor you made a copy of the original lot? Was the original inside a DAT file? In which case you may have made duplicate lots with the same ID, causing a conflict which is overriding your changes.

bombardiere

Quote from: mgb204 on July 29, 2016, 12:16:28 AM

Whilst the Maxis LE won't let you save a lot without base textures, PIM-X will, which is probably easier than messing the Reader.

This is easy to do and I use it, but yes that will cause the bug Akallan is describing. I have seen it in other post too, so I am thinking that it is a default problem in SC4. It does not happen all the time, but sometimes when I open the city, the lot is not transparent, but shows this blue or sometimes a black underside.

If Mandelsoft's lots do not cause this bug ever, then he must do something different. I guess. If so, I would love to hear what it is as I struggle with couple waterbased lots.

This bug may depend on video card or system settings.

I have seen this happen with some user created content.

Edit Are Mandelsoft's signs MMPs? (mayor mode ploppales)

EDIT: I have read this thread and it seems that my bug is different. I may have known "water Bug". Any ideas to squash this?  RebeccaLynn's idea may or may not work

mgb204

The original signs are lot-based. But I've used them without this problem occurring. I don't think Mandelsoft did anything special, to my knowledge the only methods are either:

• Use PIM-X when lotting. Allowing you to save with no textures placed.
  • Remove the textures from the LotConfigurations in the Reader.

So whilst I could accept this possibly being down to your graphics settings if all such lots showed the problem. Since it's only appearing on some lots, I have to wonder if something else is not going on here. I would ask if you are using software rendering, but I know you probably aren't Bombardiere, since I know you like HD mods.

If someone experiencing these problems would pass me an affected lot. Perhaps that will enlighten the situation.

bombardiere

Robin, I was reading the thread and editing my post while you answer. It seems that my bug is different. It is probably known "water Bug".

I have made a 2x4 water lot which have 2 tiles transparent. When I plop it, it looks fine, but if I reload the city it can have this blue base and hole in the water.

Any ideas how deal with this? I read RebeccaLynn method, but it may work or not.

Yes, I have hardware rendering.

vortext

Quote from: bombardiere on July 29, 2016, 01:46:49 AM
I have made a 2x4 water lot which have 2 tiles transparent. When I plop it, it looks fine, but if I reload the city it can have this blue base and hole in the water.

Unfortunately there seems to be no way around this when lot transparency interacts with water, you have to re-draw the water surface (i.e. switch views) to force the game to display it correctly. Personally I don't mind and use transparent lots on water, as well as using LE overlay without a base - which too gives rise to black holes - though I'm interested what you mean with 'RebeccaLynn method'?

Akallan, as Robin said there's nothing special about Mandelsofts lots, nor anything wrong with the traffic generators - I looked them up and had no problem deleting the base texture. Maybe there was a duplicate file in the plugins folder after all?

Also, over the years I've noticed SC4 files are relatively prone to corruption, especially when figuring stuff out. I solved quite a few cases of 'why doesn't this work' simply by starting over with a new copy, rather than keep tinkering on the old file in order to resolve it. Might want to give that a go if you haven't already.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Alan_Waters

I have the same problem. Some of the buildings are based on the grass as the main. When I plop them - it looks perfect, but after some time on the ground of grass appear Hole. I noticed that it appears immediately after opening the water menu.

I did not understand how to deal with it.

bombardiere

Quote from: vortext on July 29, 2016, 02:11:17 AM

- though I'm interested what you mean with 'RebeccaLynn method'?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. User RebaLynnTS page 2 this thread.

vortext

Alan_Waters, all those lots clearly still have overlay textures (e.g. trials, parking lots) and consequently the bug shows. Even though it seems to make sense, a lot with just overlays texture does not equal a transparent lot. In order for a lot to be properly transparent it must be devoid of all textures, base and overlay alike.

bombardiere, appreciate the effort looking it up but linkie is still missing?  &mmm
time flies like a bird

bombardiere

Quote from: vortext on July 29, 2016, 03:19:36 AM

bombardiere, appreciate the effort looking it up but linkie is still missing?  &mmm

Because I did not put any links.   :-[ I thought it would odd to link the very same thread.  :P  :D

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=23.20

vortext

:facepalm: my bad, didn't read properly. .
time flies like a bird

Andreas

You can link to a specific post by retrieving the message URL from the topic line above the actual text of a posting, like this:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=23.msg263887#msg263887
Andreas

Akallan

Whatever I do, the problem persists, it is not disturbing as I will not build water pipes. I can play without lontemps the problem appears, well, I will continue like this, it is not dramatic! Thank you for your help! :thumbsup:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

Justis

Reader and delete the textures from the lot afterwards.