• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokestik

MR. D...

Thank you for your devotion to moments we all enjoy and the anticipation of things to come...

Am on Page 52 and "working"...(thanks to your help)...

Emiticons make me crazy...so THANKS!

P>
I may be dumb but I'm not stupid

bat

Your pictures of your work are looking really great there! :thumbsup:

And congrats on 5000 page views in 30 days!! &apls I also agree with Pat.

superhands

hi david,

thumbs up for the center pivot irrigation!
realism in agriculture. i like it.
any 1/2 or 3/4 pivots yet?
grt region

dave

dedgren

New Folks!

Welcome to the 3RR Regulars* dave (bighead99999) and P> (pokestik).

It's great to have you join us.

dave, 3/4 and 1/2 cpi fields would be really easy to do.  The textures are available to anyone who wants to PM me with an email or hotmail address- about three minutes in the Lot Editor will do the trick.  If that sounds Greek, I'll maybe take a minute later over the weekend and do a quick how-to.

Off cabining today- it's a long weekend and I have plenty to get done here here in 3RR.

Stay tuned!

Five down, 25 to go...

Later.

David

*  A 3RR Regular, as you know, is anyone who has posted at least once here, or over at 3RR-ST.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

David have fun this weekend at the cabin make sure you get alot of rest and of course some play time in  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

ummmm....David I don't think there's a difference between email and Hotmail.

EDIT'shardz- the difference is that, with email, it's at least possible this guy

isn't reading all your messages.
-DE

pokestik

Mr. D,

Thank you for your gracious welcome... ()stsfd() Am still learning the ropes on this site so please pardon the inconsistencies. Have played SC4 intermittently for 4+ yrs and didn't realize the devotion and expertise available on this and ST!

I view this game and your MD as carrying me into my later years as a brain exercise...Crosswards and Soduku don't cut it. Thank you again!

P> (George)

EDITGeorge, most pleased to make your acquaintance.  This site has as few ropes as we can make possible.  I'm really glad you are one of those truly perceptive folks who doesn't see walls between here and ST- as Neil Young [linkie] says, "It's all the same song." -DE
I may be dumb but I'm not stupid

Giligone

Hey, cool photo, but since when are there mountains in that part of the country? haha. In any case, looking forward to more.

EDIT: Who 'ya gonna believe, my friend?  Me... or your lying eyes?  Heh! -DE

dedgren

One always sounds like an idiot when you quote yourself- that's what my dad said, and he's a pretty smart guy [linkie].

QuoteI think that collaboration, which will take, if I am right, about a year from beginning to end and will ultimately involve the efforts of 75 or so people, will create more or less the equivalent of an SC4 world.  There will be a backstory that supports more or less everything placed or developed on a quad- that will allow a degree of consistency and common purpose in creating a huge region that has never been achieved up until now.  [linkie to whole post]

Well, I wasn't right.  I announced last year the start of collaboration on March 12th.  That was 3RR's first birthday (dating from its start over on ST) and it seemed like an amenable date on which to do such a thing.

...about a year...  I had no idea.

Some folks probably think I'm taking this way too seriously.  Others probably just think I'm crazy.

Many of you know that my family life has been a challenge over the past year or so- Heather and I have two children we adopted who currently live away from us in a wonderful residential treatment center for the emotionally disturbed in Helena, Montana, and then there's been my wife's own health issues.  I almost hate to admit it, but you folks have been participating on an unpaid basis in a grand therapy experiment.  3RR, and you, keep me sane.  Its a place I can go thats full of friends and where everything is under control.  Sort of like Garrison Keillor's Lake Wobegon [linkie]:

...where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average...

I guess I've come to realize over the past year- a year during which I've offered you up about every lame excuse and dodge for not getting things underway that there is- that we're all actually lucky in a perverse sort of way.  3RR, in a lot of ways, is no longer "a mile wide and an inch deep" [linkie].  There's truly a coherent backstory for most everything in the region.  Things are mapped.  I've thought a bunch of stuff through.

And I'm ready to let go.  The region, in many ways, is my baby, folks.  I need the collaborators to take good care of it, to nurture it, protect it, and bring it up right.  I don't mean to sound maudlin, but that's not easy to allow even friends to do.

Tomorrow, I plan to go into some detail about the days leading up to collaboration, and will be giving you all more detail on the things we'll be rolling out between now and March 12th.  It's really happening this time, and I thank everyone who's hung in there.  It's going to be a really great ride!

Tomorrow...

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Ryan B.

David, don't you worry.  We'll take care of this great creation.  I know how you feel - we all feel like proud parents here, watching this amazing concept form right before our eyes . . . . . from the single idea, to the backstories behind the quads, to deciding which custom content we should use . . . . and now, we're twenty-five (or is it twenty-four now?) days away from the biggest leg of the journey so far.

I'm so proud of what everyone has done for this.  Everyone has contributed in some special way, shape or form.  Be it BATing (custom farm stuff, or, in my case - custom road signs), editing the backstories, or just giving feedback & support when times get rough . . . everyone's helped.

OK, I'll stop rambling now.  I've got a sign just coming off the press.

Pat

David,

I personaly belive that you have not stalled, have not made up an excuse, and are not nuts, just maybe a little loopie lol.... What you are probley wondering where Im going with this is simple... You are a man with a great visions and a great expirment here and you have a great following here in 3RR... We all know RL is the priorty here and we all know deadlines get changed and bumped back, it happens... From someone who is counting down with you to date that will forever be a life changing event for everyone invovled I can not wait to see this goo off.... 

Your Northwoods Friend

Patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mightygoose

it may have been the platte river but now its the Eonile[linkie].
without this year 3RR would have been a rushed improvisation with many shortcomings.... your year of "stalling" has filled in so many holes in back story, mapping, content. this year now means we are making a masterpiece..
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

dedgren

Okay, so we're actually going to make a bit of progress here.

On January 13th, our great friend Robin (Rooker1 - Mind Scape) made the 2,600th comment here at 3RR.  That's a first for Robin- it always does my heart good to see new blood in the Double-0 Club.

So, we owe you an honors, Mr. R.  I'm going to beg your indulgence in advance, and do them in connection with what I intend to roll out for each of the collaboration quads by the 12th of next month.  With no further ado, then, here's Diddicks-SW, the quad that is currently scheduled to be developed by John (Darmok).

Diddicks-SW is a scenic quad located in Diddicks Township in the southeast corner of the region.  Here's the 3RR Atlas [linkie] map with the quad outlined in green.

Here's a few snapshots keyed to the map.

No. 1

Truro is a quaint little unincorporated area that is the main feature of the quad.  Here's its highway sign

and its Gazetteer [linkie] entry.

• Truro (Unincorporated Place - SW Quad Diddicks Twp - lat. 48° 47' 53" N / lon. 94° 44' 34" W - elev. 1,112 ft/329 m amsl.)  Truro is a small urbanized area and associated environs located about midway down the Iron Hook Cape on the eastern shore of Hotham Inlet 3.4 miles/5.6 kilometers by road S of the city of Des Plaines.  The urban center extends a small distance either side of where Regional Route 9, the main road up and down the cape, crosses Truro Creek.  Population (2000 est.): 138.  Local Government:  None.  Police and Fire:  Served by Regional Trooper Post #12 (Des Plaines), Rural Fire Service Station #16 (Des Plaines).  Medical Services:  Privately run open to public emergency care facility.  Postal Service:  Rural Postal Station #38.  Air Service:  None.  Rail Service:  None.  History and General Information:  Truro apparently had its origins in the 1850s as a fishing camp located at the ford across Truro Creek on the trail between Des Plaines and Ellisport.  A small store and private wooden toll bridge were built by one R. Rooker in the 1880s, and the area became known as Rookers as a result.  In the 1920s the area's residents, hoping to attract some of the summer home development that was occurring along the north shore of the inlet between Pineshore and Des Plaines along the DW&W's Des Plaines Spur line by having the line extended south, renamed the area Truro after the popular beachfront town on Cape Cod.  While the line was never built, Truro did gain its own post office and quite a number of summer guest cottages and small resorts.  Rooker's Store, by then operated by great-grandchildren, operated until the start of World War II, when gas rationing and other economic conditions proved too big a challenge to remain in business.  In the 1950s, Regional Route 9 was paved (the last major stretch of secondary highway in the region to have this done), and this only served to further increase the popularity of the area.  By the 1970s, local residents were pretty much uniformly opposed to further development; and this opposition has continued through the current date.  Referenda to incorporate and establish a city government were defeated in 1975, 1993, and most recently 2005.  Despite this opposition, however, the Truro area has grown at an estimated 20-25 residents per year since the year 2000, and a number of McMansions have been built on the area's north and south fringes, and in particular along Truro Creek and on the western slopes of Truro Hill.

Truro Creek flows through the center of the built-up are and is bridged by Regional Route 9.  Local volunteer groups have purchased land along the north bank of the creek and built quite a nice park there.

No. 2

The growing popularity of Truro and the nearby area has made summer traffic a real problem, but discussion of a bypass appears to be about as unpopular as the congestion.

No. 3

Much of the traffic is generated by the small resort cabins, most built in the 1950s and 60s, that line the shores of Diddicks Bay.

No. 4

To the east of Truro north of Regional Route 39 stands Truro Hill.  It's not particularly large as hills go, but it has a commanding view of Diddicks Bay and is a very popular day hike.

No. 5.

Here's Truro Hill's Gazetteer entry.

• Truro Hill (Hill - SW Quad Diddicks Twp - lat. 48° 48' 10" N / lon. 94° 43' 56" W - elev. 1,250 ft/381 m amsl.)  Truro Hill is a small hill located about midway down Iron Hook Cape about half a mile/.8 kilometers ENE of Truro, an unincorporated urban area on the shore of Diddicks Bay.  The hill rises 196 feet/60 meters above the shoreline, and its crest is a popular day-hike for area residents and visitors alike.  The trailhead is along Regional Route 39 about one-quarter of a mile/six-tenths of a kilometer east of the junction with Regional Route 9.  Truro Hill was named in the 1920s by local residents seeking to call attention to the area in their effort to have the DW&W Railroad extend it is Des Plaines Spur Line south onto the cape.

Truro Creek, while small, is very scenic and may be canoed for much of its length.

It also appears in the Gazetteer.

• Truro Creek (Stream - SW Quad Diddicks Twp - lat. 48° 47' 57" N / lon. 94° 44' 57" W (mouth))  Truro Creek is a small, shallow stream about 1.4 miles/2.3 kilometers in length.  It rises in wooded marshlands in the rough center of Iron Hook Cape and flows westward into Diddicks Bay.  The lower stretches of the stream are particularly scenic, and it flows through the small built-up area of Truro just before reaching the bay.  Truro Creek was named in the 1920s by local residents seeking to call attention to the area in their effort to have the DW&W Railroad extend it is Des Plaines Spur Line south onto the cape.

No discussion of this area would be complete without noting Diddicks Bay, that great expanse of Hotham Inlet the curving shoreline of which is very easy on the eye of local and visitor alike.

No. 7

The Gazetteer entry for Iron Hook Cape is also worth review.

• Iron Hook Cape (Cape - NW, SE and SW Quads Diddicks Twp, NW and NE Quads Iron Hook Township and NE Quad Pine Cone Township  - lat. 94° 47' 23" N / lon. 48° 43' 37" W (area center))  Iron Hook Cape is a cape extending into the Hotham Inlet of Lake of the Woods measuring 7,900 acres/3,200 hectares in total area.  The cape extends out into the waters of the lake about five miles/eight kilometers to the SSW and then curves and extends another 1.6 miles/2.6 kilometers almost due west.  The waters enclosed by the cape are referred to as Diddicks Bay, and the origin of this name is not known.  The cape is apparently named after its shape and began appearing on maps of the area in the 1830s.  It is geologically glacial in origin, and consists of very sandy soils covering a spine of cobble deposited as a moraine.  There are also a number of granite pediments, most notably Nike Site Point and Haystack Rock located at the end of the cape.  The northern landward end of the cape is generally considered to be between the mouth of the Des Plaines River to the west and the mouth of Redfox Creek to the east.  The cape is drained by a number of very small streams: the two largest are Truro Creek and Strechnitz Creek.  The cape is sparsely settled historically and remains so today.  Ellisport, a city at the south end of the cape, has a population (2000) of a little over 2,000.  Truro, an unincorporated area on the west side of the cape about midway up, has a population (2000) of less than 200.  Several hundred more live in widely spread rural homes and the cape's few farms.  Iron Hook Cape's sandy soil is not well-suited for large-scale agricultural purposes by comparison to lands in the rest of the region and main road down the cape, Regional Route 9, was not paved until the 1950s.  Since the 1980s, though, a number of small specialty farms have been established in the southernmost one-third of the cape.  By and large, the remainder of the cape remains heavily wooded, and as a result extremely scenic.  The cape has been a popular tourist destination and summer home location since the mid-20th Century, and the shoreline of Diddicks Bay, in particular, is lined with small resort and family cabins.  The local population has become increasing resistant to development over the past 20 years, however, and this has slowed, but not halted, the construction of the more modern and upscale mega-resort and McMansion-style properties.

Diddicks-SW has a few small farms east of R-9 north of Truro.  Most of the quad, though, remains wooded and undisturbed.  There is no industry to speak of, and this quiet corner of Three Rivers Region remains one of its most lovely, althougth increasingly discovered, places.

Here is its topo.

Robin, you are now a small part of 3RR's history.  Thank you for being one of the Regulars*, and I'll catch you over at Mind Scape.  John, your quad is just about ready to go.

Later, my friends.

David

*  A 3RR Regular is anyone, like Robin, who has posted at least once here or over at 3RR-ST.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

thundercrack83

Hey, congratulations, Robin, on joining the "Double-0" club here at 3RR! Looks like you've got yourself a store in Truro--outstanding!

Dustin

threestooges

Excellent work with the Truro update in honor of rooker. It seems the local DOT has an... interesting sense of humor (though I think that sign would be useful on some of the local roads around here... I kid you not, it took me 2 hours to go appx 11 miles one evening (and that was because the freeways were moving slower) though I chalk that up to the heavy rain we had about a month ago, but still...). Yet again, I continue to digress.

Much as 3RR provides a release for you, so too has it provided a release for those who have frequented its pages. I hope Heather, Tristen and Josh are well, and I think I can say that they are certainly lucky to have you. Also, I don't think you're crazy at all... you made it through 3 years of law school, if that didn't do it... (kidding of course, I'm loving the experience, though it does keep one busy... I'm guessing the workload picks up a bit in the working world though. Any advice as to what to expect for the 1st year summer internship; and does the work stay at the office or does it tend to make it home with you?) At any rate, thank you for sharing this with us, and letting us into your little corner of the world. We're happy to share it with you.

Lastly, I was curious to know if you received the past couple of emails with additional props I sent your way? I've broken the grid thing and you should have a few options for angles now. Also, I'm not sure if you use one, but do you happen to know of a file hosting service? I'm going to get that bridge I've been working on over to Jeronij but haven't found one I like/trust (or would it be an imposition to have you email it to him if you have his address?) I've been a bit busy lately so I wanted to get it to him before I forget again and it makes its way to the back burners again.

Looking forward to seeing what's coming up next.
-Matt

Jmouse

An elegant tribute as usual. It's easy to spot a professional like you, David -- you're the ones who can accomplish a difficult task and make it look easy.

Until March 12...
Joan

Kokopelli

Hi David. It has been a while since I have check in here, though I have been lurking pretty regularly. I'm looking forward to wathing how this collaboration effort works out. Your work is outstanding and as someone said above, we all understand that reall life comes first. With all you do here, I don't see how you do anything in real life.

Bob

bat

Congrats to Rooker1 for his honoring! And that is a wonderful post with great work there, David!

Looking forward to more...

btw, my 4200th post here!

Pat

David just gotta say here that you have made a wondeful tribute to Robin, now you just have to get caught up to the current double 00's lol.... Anywho i cant wait 23 days and counting..

jayo

Sorry i haven't been around much-Been i paris  :D

Anyway-I'm gonna flick back too some missed updates ()stsfd()
I'm back