• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

a question about desktop files

Started by VeTram, November 30, 2008, 10:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VeTram

- this is something i want to ask please....what are those desktop files in plugin folder ?   are those desktop files important ?  can i safetely delete them , as i am trying to tidy my plugins folder?
For every friend of this community , do NOT forget to send me a p.m if ever visit Greece .

Swamper77

You can safely delete them from the Plugins folders. The desktop.ini files are created by Windows when you are viewing folders that contain images in Windows Explorer's Thumbnail view. Removing them will not affect anything.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

VeTram

For every friend of this community , do NOT forget to send me a p.m if ever visit Greece .

Andreas

Are you using the SC4 Startup Manager? Then don't delete those files, since the SUM uses them for storing unique IDs for the regional profiles in them. The files that Swamper77 was referring to are called "Thumbs.db", which can be deleted, if desired (they will be recreated if you switch over to the thumbnail view again).
Andreas

VeTram

But i can see those files in Plugins folder although i have not use SUM yet . Is it natural?   should i keep them now?

Andreas

If you don't use the SUM, then they were probably created by another program, or Windows itself. Generally speaking, those files are used by Windows to give certain folders a description, and define a special icon (like the one for "My Documents"). Open one of those files with Notepad, then you might be able to see the purpose. The SUM adds a few lines that look as following:

[SimCity4 StartupManager]
PluginsId=B99FE0CE
[.ShellClassInfo]
Andreas

VeTram

although i have not use SUM before ( at least i think so) there are indeed such lines as you described , Andreas.  Thanks  a lot , friend :thumbsup:

Andreas

Hmm, maybe you downloaded some BATs where those files were accidentially included? The desktop.ini files are hidden by default, so maybe the developers just zipped their folders, not knowing that they also included the desktop.ini files there. The same goes for any other hidden file, like the Thumbs.db I mentioned. So if you don't use the SUM, just remove those files. :)
Andreas