• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

To lurk or not to lurk

Started by NikNik, January 19, 2007, 03:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steVie

Yes, I too am guilty of this so called lurking everyone speaks of...not that there's anything wrong with that  :)

I do however, completely agree with EVERYTHING that Gradonacelnik said above me.  Plain and simple, I think his post was spot on.

Why do I lurk?
I'm a huge fan of pretty much anyone who can lot, bat, mod, etc. in this game.  I'm at a loss for those things.  My talents in SC4 can nowhere compare to most of the people here and that's why I'm here...to learn.  I'm not here to cause disruption, confusion or be condescending.  This is the internet and is in no way serious business.  For me, constantly keeping updated with who posted to my post in what thread gets rather trying after a bit, and that's what brings me to my next point.  The PM button.  I'd much rather use this than spread my babble over the internet as there's already plenty of that on any forum of any site you register on.  I'll comment on anyone's work if I truly feel it will bring substance to the topic.  However, I think most of you guys/gals know that you do top notch work or you wouldn't see the downloads of your masterpieces on the rise  :thumbsup:

How often do I lurk?
Anytime I can..home or office

Does your partner know you lurk?
I'm single and I still wouldn't give a damn  ;D

Do you only lurk here or also on other sites?
Here, there, SimPeg, ST and pretty much any forum I'm registered at  ::)

All in all, I'm not a bad person and I'm just here to see what the best of the SC4 community has to offer.  Please, keep up the good work ALL of you.  Thanks for the lots, bats, etc., the LEX and thanks to jeronij for the great site that is SC4Devotion!

Thanks for coaxing me into posting with this topic...now I'm going back into hibernation
Hi there..

Diggis

It's interesting to see a few "Lurkers" who have high post counts at Pegs (vicki's you know who you are).  I was a habbitual lurker untill I visited Pegs, and now here.  I'm not much on content, cant create or help create, so alot of what i say is inane chatter, but I like to think that people find me amusing rather than annoying.  I do try to pick my timing.

Fledder200

were to start... ;)
I always think that the smalest words can mean a lot!
saying "thank you " or "Great update" can mean much more to someone then a super long story!
Yes i lurk sometimes..but who doesn't? But i always try to comment. I know that some people think that becouse they don't write good Engelsh there comments aren't appreciated so they don't leave a comment ( i know this for a fact) and that isn't true!
so.....for all the people that i never or sometimes forget to say "thank you" and "great update" too.....Thank you and Great update... :thumbsup:

and keep in mind there is a Dutch saying : "Wie het kleine niet eert is het grote niet weerd." means : appreciate all the small thing otherwise you don't deserve the big stuff!!

hmzzz is this reply confusing for you as it was for me?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short to wear bad clothes...and ugly shoes!

vab423

Quote from: Diggis on January 24, 2007, 05:20:43 PM
but I like to think that people find me amusing rather than annoying. 
I suppose we all harbor delusions of some sort Diggis.   ;)  ()flower()

Funny about peoples' habits, huh?  I only lurked a short time at Peg's before I started posting but then look over at ST - a bit over 100 and I've been a member for almost 2 years.  I guess it all depends on how comfortable I am in my surroundings.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit."     - Harry S. Truman

Diggis

I absolutly agree.  It's the relaxed attitude, and humor.  From what I've seen here we might be onto a similar formula.  Looks like the best of both sites are here.

jeronij

There are some very logical and understable reasons to keep lurking exposed here  :thumbsup:  ... maybe I will have to hide this topic.... $%Grinno$% ¡¡¡
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Gradonacelnik

I guess I should clarify my remarks a bit.
By all means, prattle on in the show us your....  pages and other sociable topics.

I would just encourage everyone to keep the technical issues pages at a serious tone and demeanor.

As for the Diaries, I think people should abide by the whishes of the Author. If an author revels in your accolades by all means give them their due. If they are modest don't feel snubbed and think them rude for not responding to the applause. Some artists are timid and might come to think that everyone expects a Diary/Journal Author to be a Social Hostess at a party, so they might not post their work for fear of obligatory interaction.

Diggis

I do try to stay on topic, at least untill the answers given, then, after we applaud Barby for once again getting it right  ;D the topics are fair game.

freedo50

i have to say, although when i joined this site and offered jeronij my help, i intended to be a top poster. Howevre, i have a lot of stuff to do now (im doing my A levels at school) and so i really jsut dont have the time to read thru all the threads and reply. :(

W00t 50th post lol

jeronij

Hi Fred, dont worry amigo, A levels are more important now of course   ::)

Your help was really appreciated and will not be forgotten  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Serkanner

Quote from: Diggis on January 25, 2007, 12:06:20 PM
I do try to stay on topic, at least untill the answers given, then, after we applaud Barby for once again getting it right  ;D the topics are fair game.

... haven't seen Barby around here yet ( this topic I mean ), so we will have to stay on topic, for  a while longer  ;D

What was the subject again?

BarbyW

Don't ask me, Serkanner, I am a lurker. About to start my 10 steps to non lurker mode. I have taken the first step though as: My name is Barby and I am a lurker.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

narocos300

And I'm a lurker too ;D

Fred_Ginger

Quote from: barbyw on January 25, 2007, 02:57:57 PM
Don't ask me, Serkanner, I am a lurker. About to start my 10 steps to non lurker mode. I have taken the first step though as: My name is Barby and I am a lurker.

Great and Glorious Godess, I'm so proud of you! &dance &dance &dance
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

Traff

How often do you lurk?
   Daily.

Does your partner know that you lurk?
   Yes.

Do you only lurk here or also on other sites?
   In next answer.

Why do you lurk?

I think that when most people first register to a forum for a particular interest, its usually to get gain
knowledge, answers, or access to something for themselves. Or it could be just to further expand a hobby or interest.

I lurk at the beginning of joining (any type of) forum/community, as I am always into a hobby of some sort and use a forum
as a learning tool before I can give any flat out constructive critism. I try to give my opinion and help where I
can.

I agree with many of the posts made above about making "Thank you" and "great update" comments as I know that
any kind of authors secretly love praise. :)

I'm starting to learn how to make things with the various programs & tools. And its not as easy as I thought
I appreciate all the work people in these kind of communities do, the constant goodies & answers & tips really help people get a grasp on the depth of this game, and the quality of releases and work put in to all the stages of them.

Being new to ST as well, I can't comment on what happened over there. I tend to stay away from the drama, unless to give an outsiders perspective.

I am in the same with Gradonacelnik
When I do manage to post a diary or release something, I won't take offense if not one person thanked me for effort.
But will take offence if nobody in turn said, hey fix this, or this might be better this way.  :thumbsdown:

I am a Lurker but will assimilate.
:)

NikNik

Quote from: Traff on January 26, 2007, 12:49:00 AM
I am a Lurker but will assimilate.
:)

Resistance is futile:

LOL

Nik-Nik

mrgscottc

I'm currently a lurker here.  I have always been a lurker at Simtropolis.  I found it difficult to get my feet wet in such a bustling community.  There was so much going on... the NAM, the BAT, and many excellent CJs. Also, asking a question or looking for viewpoints could be frowned upon if you didn't search or check the Onimbus.  If with your first post, you say:

How do you build cities?

The first reply is someone who has posted over 3,000 times and the person asks you if did a search?  Not a very good practice for a first time poster, i.e., not doing a search.  Not a very good response by experienced member of the community.  The irony is that you might get the response from someone who has posted 100 times or 50 times.  This fact has led me to be a lurker.  RL is also a factor.  Sometimes, you only have time to catch-up...  By the time I started reading SCR, it was it was over 90 pages! 

Diggis

Fortunatly we try not to be so rough over here.  We try to answer the question, or will try point you in the right direction.  So pull up a seat and ask away. :thumbsup:

dioangel

Quote from: Alek King of SC4 on January 24, 2007, 08:37:22 AM
not anymore, i was a long time ST lurker but jumped right into SC4D.

Me too... the only thread I'll go is my cj and jacky's kabin.  ;)

"Beethoven is known for writting the most daring music has ever known to man...DioAngel is known for writting outragous stories has ever known to a lady."
My new MD: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6796.0

jeronij

I dont think 3000 posts means much.... $%Grinno$%
Probably 2500 were sel-fpromoting or "Great Work" posts, probably not very helpful... It is amazing for me to see that some people can believe that increasing its post count at any rate, makes them be more popular or something like that  $%Grinno$%. I prefere quality over quantity. Remember the site's rules  ::)

I was wondering....what about a new thread... To Overpost or not to Overpost.   :D

Mallorca My Mayor Diary