• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rady

If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Tarkus

Thanks for the kind words on the TLA-7 . . . there will be more where that came from. ;)

Quote from: Aaron Graham on September 05, 2010, 07:16:39 PM
Have anyone thought about making 6 lane oneway roads, beacuse I have seen 3,4,5 lanes wide but what about 6 lanes.

It's under consideration, though it's not a priority, given that as a 2-tile network it would have the same capacity as the existing OWR-4 and OWR-5.

Quote from: Nego on September 05, 2010, 07:21:43 PM
It's nice to see that the TLA-7 is coming along really well. :thumbsup: &apls So how's the NAVE-4?

The NMAVE-4 is still as it was when it was last shown this Spring--the base network is in place, but there are no intersections.

Quote from: Kevin1a on September 06, 2010, 02:16:52 AM
I found a few posts addressing my question, so I no longer really have a question.  Let me just say that I'm looking forward to seeing some NWM bridges, if it's possible.  I realize that it might be a stretch with the multiple tile wide networks.

It is possible to make over-water bridges for just about all of the NWM networks.  The dual-tile ones will probably be built using something along the lines of what choco did for the as-of-yet-unreleased Wider RHW bridges.  The main reason they haven't been made yet is that currently, there's a lack of bridge modders.

Quote from: Rady on September 06, 2010, 03:50:22 AM
Since the NWM developement is rushing onwards, may I throw in a little question: will there be 90 degree corners for the MAVE-4, ..? So far everytime I want to have a 90 degree curve (L-curve) I need to add a 1-tile stub on one of the opposing ends (thus making it a little T-crossing instead of an L-curve). Or is it just me lacking the knowledge how to create a L-curve ..?

Quote from: jdenm8 on September 06, 2010, 05:51:40 AM
That's a current limitation. Apparently 90 degree turns are in the works.

There's been no development on them, but there are plans. 

-Alex

jdenm8

I was playing one of my old cities today which makes heavy use of ARD-3. However, I wondered why no automata were using it to drive town the range (This city is ont he top of a mountain range FYI). I turned on DrawPaths and discovered this:

It stops the automata, seems to break the simulator and it kills UDI.
None of the other NWM networks I use (Practically all bar the TLAs and the two-tile OWRs) seem to have this issue.
I've removed the only content that could be possibly causing this issue and it still happens.

Any ideas?

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

That's just freaking weird . . . I've replicated it here.  It also occurs with the MAVE-6, and I have figured out what is causing it.

-Alex

Ciuu96

Happens to me too, tested few ARD-3s in my city and the same bug occured.

Could it have something to do with the new NWM, as when i created those ARD-3s in my city i believe everything worked correctly, (i usually always test things with UDI after creating them) but now with the new version it doesn't.

EDIT: Damn, should read the messages with care. Didn't notice that you have figured it out :)
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

MandelSoft

Wait a sec, is it maybe because of the dummy paths that increase the capacity of the NWM that it acts like a flat intersection?
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

Quote from: mrtnrln on September 07, 2010, 05:37:49 AM
Wait a sec, is it maybe because of the dummy paths that increase the capacity of the NWM that it acts like a flat intersection?

It's not directly caused by the dummy paths--it's because the "3D Key" was set to 1 in order to put the dummy paths 20m underground.  This actually works perfectly fine on model-based networks, but apparently causes the "plateauing" seen above on texture-based networks.  The RHW-6S and some of the TuLEPs got the same treatment and they work fine on slopes. 

I've attached a file that should alleviate the issue--let me know if you're still running into the difficulty after installing it.  If it appears to do the trick, I'll update the files on the LEX/STEX with it and the UDI pathing improvements for the TLAs that I'm working on now.  Also note that as a result of the changes, the dummy path is actually visible now.

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Tarkus on September 07, 2010, 09:43:36 AM
I've attached a file that should alleviate the issue--let me know if you're still running into the difficulty after installing it.

I did a quick test with the bugfix for myself. Evidently the plateau-y paths are still there, but that's probably the dummy paths that you mentioned. (If not, then there's still something wrong... Either that, or I installed the thing wrong...)

The fix seemed to work, only now the automata seems to follow the plateau-y paths now; I tried it with an UDI bus, and it was driving level all the way and not adjusting to the slope. And automata still follows the paths, but as I tried with UDI, I seem to stop UDI-ing in seemingly random places...

If this was the same issue BEFORE the bugfix, then I may have installed it wrong. Otherwise, the fix might not have worked.

And to go a little off-topic here,... I also installed a bugfix for the slip lanes for the TuLEPs, and the paths still don't show. It tells me that it could be a problem with me with installing the bugfixes for both cases.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on September 07, 2010, 04:32:30 PM
If this was the same issue BEFORE the bugfix, then I may have installed it wrong. Otherwise, the fix might not have worked.

Yes, that was the pre-bugfix issue.  As long as it (and the TuLEPs fix) are loading after the NWM and the TuLEPs file, they should work.  Try creating a zzz-subfolder in your NAM folder and sticking them in there and see if that fixes it.

I tested the adjusted NWM paths earlier myself and everything did seem to look correct . . . the dummy paths will show up as green arrows pointing off to the side on the edge of the network tiles.

-Alex

CaptCity

A couple posters over at ST asked about a situation with OWR-3 (and one mentioned ARD-3) where only pedestrians use the route. I did a quick check and noticed this...

No traffic will move along the OWR route. But if I add a simple intersection like this...

...traffic will flow. Is this related to the issue mentioned above with the ARD or perhaps something different?

Later: I also noticed if I replace one of the 90 degree turns with a couple 45 degree turns...

...traffic will move.

Tarkus

I've checked into it . . . this situation happens with the TLA-3, ARD-3, and OWR-3, but not the AVE-2 or OWR-1--the two networks that don't have any sort of crossover path or distilled intersection path.  It also only affects it in a full loop . . . a three-quarter loop with the TLA-3 worked fine.  I have a hunch as to why this is occurring, and it has to do with the 90-curves themselves . . . but I'll need to do some more testing.

The OWR-3 paths also were suffering from the stairstepping that jdenm8 reported--I've fixed that on my end as well (it has no effect on the full-loop issue, however).  I'll compile everything into a full Version 1.1.1 update when it's all fixed up.

-Alex

Edit: I've done some adjustments . . . they seem to improve the functionality on the 90-bends, but building a completely closed TLA-3, ARD-3 or OWR-3 loop with just sharp 90-bends for corners is still inadvisable.  Fortunately, I don't think many folks do that except for testing purposes.

CaptCity

Thanks, Alex... I also noticed the same effect with ARD-3 and TLA-3 after some more checking. Good to know about the "looping" issue. Although, as you mentioned, it probably wouldn't come up in normal situations.

jdenm8

I meant to post this:

The fix is working on my end perfectly. (and those white line textures are my own)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

xg4m3r

Is it possible to have bus/subway stops in NWM?
I mean like this.

I'm looking for it everywhere and i can't find it.
Maybe someone could make it please?

MandelSoft

Well, you can't find them, because there aren't some made yet. I bet at least someone is working on it  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

z

Quote from: xg4m3r on September 10, 2010, 12:26:47 PM
Is it possible to have bus/subway stops in NWM?

The RTMT Team has this as a very high priority, and it will be coming out with RTMT v3.70.  However, that's still a number of months away.  When it does arrive, though, all forms of NWM will be supported.

Myself.or.?

Actually, I came across these just yesterday. Haven't checked yet if they work, but the pics look interesting.

In case somebody wants to have a closer look at them, I found them here: http://www.simcity.cn/viewthread.php?tid=82867&highlight=nwm

And kind of along the same line of thought, what do you guys make of these puzzle-pieces? Just as above, haven't tried them yet.

http://www.simcity.cn/viewthread.php?tid=85577&highlight=nwm

:-\
The new SimCity4 Multiplayer. Interactive and in Multicolor.

http://www.simcitymultiplayer.com/forum.php
Join the Game NOW. Become a part of the Future.

Tarkus

Yeah, I caught a glimpse of those during my visit over to simcity.cn to check out the AVE-2 medians . . . don't know how the modding is on them.

Also, technically, as TE Lots, they're not puzzle pieces.

-Alex

allantan1116

Quote from: Myself.or.? on September 10, 2010, 04:28:49 PM
Actually, I came across these just yesterday. Haven't checked yet if they work, but the pics look interesting.

In case somebody wants to have a closer look at them, I found them here: http://www.simcity.cn/viewthread.php?tid=82867&highlight=nwm

And kind of along the same line of thought, what do you guys make of these puzzle-pieces? Just as above, haven't tried them yet.

http://www.simcity.cn/viewthread.php?tid=85577&highlight=nwm

:-\
Yeah, that' s a wonderful work.
But sometimes the base texture will be "colourful", it' s not a perfect lot.

Moonraker0

I am having a problem that might or might not be related to the NWM, but it is occurring on an NWM network so I'll post it here.  The problem is with a specific stretch of MAVE-6.  Sims will refuse to use this stretch of MAVE-6 in any way.  The other direction of traffic is being used.  The problem stretch is unused in both morning and evening commute.  As you can see, Ho Man Fung (the building in the left part of the screenshot) actually shows a no car zot, and the Garden Tower next to it (at the street corner) is only using the through route for entering and leaving the building, not the problem stretch of avenue.

Information about the screenshot:  This is the traffic volume data view for the morning commute.  As you can see, there is zero usage for one part of the avenue.  There is an entering OWR-3 intersection with both tiles of the MAVE-6 further east, not visible in this shot.  There is also a diamond interchange with elevated RHW-4 past that intersection; cars will enter and exit the highway there but never go on the problem stretch.