• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

Oh man its getting good now  :)

Great job Tarkus, that is awesome

AcoG000

Visit cheeseSC4! A very good (slightly small) site!

puzzled5543

Those would be nice to have instead of converting it to a RHW 6-C every time I need a larger overpass.

MandelSoft

That's suprising! I definitely can use one of those :thumbsup:  keep 'em coming!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mike3775

Quote from: mrtnrln on January 21, 2012, 03:52:25 AM
That's suprising! I definitely can use one of those :thumbsup:  keep 'em coming!

Another update to his cities with a music video will follow after the completion  :)

ivo_su

Lord, Alex this is just  perfectly good.
I wonder whether it will be dragable or likeness of EAVE-4 will be built with the help of puzzle pieces. Is some are also elevated networks Maxi's switch to dragable version. In my humble opinion E'TLA-9  must have a barrier in the middle because it is too  dangerous to make a U-turn there. The need for AVE-6  elevation is almost meaningless, since for this purpose have already  ERHW-6C which does the same job. I also want to express my special  congratulations to Matt  (Dexter) for his amazing textures. He has demonstrated his gift before the time when I asked for something special. So if you need people to  pieces splitter Matt and Michael are the right people for this task. I'm always  happy to see pictures of new things that are a work in progress,  this share without worrying.

- Ivo

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: ivo_su on January 21, 2012, 03:02:43 PM
I wonder whether it will be dragable or likeness of EAVE-4 will be built with the help of puzzle pieces.

Draggable, most likely.

In my humble opinion E'TLA-9  must have a barrier in the middle because it is too  dangerous to make a U-turn there. The need for AVE-6  elevation is almost meaningless, since for this purpose have already  ERHW-6C which does the same job.

ETLA-7, though it may already be EAVE-6, and I think the EAVE-6 IS needed for the sake of capacity consistency, and that you'd need to convert to 6C, which can take up space, depending on things like space restrictions.

L2 RHW-6C, L2 TLA-7 (minus the turn paths), and L2 AVE-6 have no functional differences, so why bother with making a ETLA/EAVE when you could just use just the 6C? Because people want one, and it adds functional and aesthetic consistency. Also, most RHWs don't have ped paths, so you can't just use elevated RHWs in place of elevated non-RHW networks; How will pedestrians get around?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

itsacoaster

I've been wanting some AVE-6 overpasses.  So thank you very much!   &apls &dance

I was wondering, is it possible to do a draggable AVE-2 or TLA-3 to AVE-4 transition, similar to what is currently possible to transition between Maxis roads and avenues?  The extended transition puzzle piece is fine, but when I drive (in the US), I rarely see transitions that long, especially when there are extra lanes near busy intersections.

If not, it's no big deal, but it's something on my wish list.

As always, you guys are great and I appreciate your work.

noahclem

Quote from: itsacoaster on January 21, 2012, 05:34:13 PM
I've been wanting some AVE-6 overpasses.  So thank you very much!   &apls &dance

I was wondering, is it possible to do a draggable AVE-2 or TLA-3 to AVE-4 transition, similar to what is currently possible to transition between Maxis roads and avenues?  The extended transition puzzle piece is fine, but when I drive (in the US), I rarely see transitions that long, especially when there are extra lanes near busy intersections.

If not, it's no big deal, but it's something on my wish list.

As always, you guys are great and I appreciate your work.

It should be possible to create the transition you suggest. However, I'm really confused about how you could be more familiar with shorter transitions in RL. Have you ever looked at googlemaps and seen a road with a similar profile to the current RD-2-to-AVE-4 transition? I understand that not everyone plays SC4 with the intent of keeping everything to a realistic scale--and that's really great if they're having fun--but I don't think the length of the transition your suggesting can be fairly called realistic.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: itsacoaster on January 21, 2012, 05:34:13 PM
I was wondering, is it possible to do a draggable AVE-2 or TLA-3 to AVE-4 transition, similar to what is currently possible to transition between Maxis roads and avenues?

Theoretically possible, but depending on the RULing, not as pretty.

In fact, because how short the RD-2 to AVE-4 transition was, I believe a longer ploppable version was once proposed.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Will12

Quote from: Tarkus on January 19, 2012, 05:19:27 PM
Quote from: Will12 on January 19, 2012, 04:49:24 PM
Will the NAM 31 include all the other components in the installer? Also will the HSPR and SAM and RAM (I suppose that's their [RAM Team] choice) etc updated? That would be nie but I suppose that's lots of model based items and re texturing

All of those are planned to be merged into the NAM proper.  I'm not sure how much updating there will be to HSRP and SAM (mostly "maintenance mode" gap-filling, as those projects haven't been particularly active for quite some time), but they'll be in, and it'll make it easier for us to make incremental updates to them as needed.

(Oh, and by the way, happy birthday to you. :thumbsup:)

-Alex
Thanks Alex. Great el networks and can't wait for them all to be draggable!!! Ave2-ave4 would be less tight than the rd to ave one and you still keep the median? That would be good!

itsacoaster

Quote from: noahclem on January 21, 2012, 06:17:42 PMIt should be possible to create the transition you suggest. However, I'm really confused about how you could be more familiar with shorter transitions in RL. Have you ever looked at googlemaps and seen a road with a similar profile to the current RD-2-to-AVE-4 transition? I understand that not everyone plays SC4 with the intent of keeping everything to a realistic scale--and that's really great if they're having fun--but I don't think the length of the transition your suggesting can be fairly called realistic.

You have a point:  the grid in SC4 prevents you from taking a one-tile network and transitioning to the 2-tile network in a short distance because one direction of travel has to move over an entire tile, whereas, in real life, the center line doesn't really move in the transition from 2 (or 3) lanes to 4.  Those kinds of transitions like the RD-AVE4 seem pretty uncommon, except in some cases where adjacent property might cause some space issues.  If somehow the road was centered on two tiles maybe it would make more sense to have a short transition.  But it's not, and I understand the need to have a smooth transition to move from one tile to an adjacent one.

So forget I said anything.  :D  Maybe this came out of the minor annoyance of digging out a puzzle piece to transition from TLA-3 to AVE-4.  I'm sure I'll get over it.   :P

ADDED: I just thought of a transition like the one you fine folks have drawn up:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lincoln+ne&hl=en&ll=40.770743,-96.682228&spn=0.001436,0.002918&sll=40.935692,-98.354652&sspn=0.011525,0.023346&vpsrc=6&hnear=Lincoln,+Lancaster,+Nebraska&t=h&z=19
Property on the east side of the transition led to a smoother TLA-3 to AVE-4 transition where the center line slides a little bit to the west.  So I now understand where you're coming from.

noahclem

No worries :thumbsup: --and it was fun poking around Lincoln, NE

Tarkus

Quote from: mike3775 on January 21, 2012, 06:17:55 AM
Another update to his cities with a music video will follow after the completion  :)

It just might . . . been awhile since Tarkusian Cities Update 50. :)

I wonder whether it will be dragable or likeness of EAVE-4 will be built with the help of puzzle pieces. Is some are also elevated networks Maxi's switch to dragable version. In my humble opinion E'TLA-9  must have a barrier in the middle because it is too  dangerous to make a U-turn there. The need for AVE-6  elevation is almost meaningless, since for this purpose have already  ERHW-6C which does the same job.

The content seen in those pics is in puzzle piece form at the moment.  It'll exist most likely in both puzzle and draggable form, as there's seems to be utility for both.  There's been talk about making the EAVE-4, ERD-2 and EOWR-2 draggable as well for a long time, and I'd imagine that'll probably happen in the not too distant future.

The EAVE-6 serves a lot of different purposes not served by the ERHW-6C as well:
a) As Ganaram mentioned, the ERHW-6C does not allow pedestrians.
b) The EAVE-6 be able to make intersections and function like the EAVE-4 pieces in that regard (e.g. you can use them to build a diamond interchange, as there will be EMIS/EAVE-6 intersection pieces).
c) The EAVE-6 will have lower capacity and cost.

-Alex

Will12

Is it possible to keep the maxis ave median flora on the elevated networks for ave 2,4 & 6? &idea

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Will12 on January 22, 2012, 04:52:17 PM
Is it possible to keep the maxis ave median flora on the elevated networks for ave 2,4 & 6? &idea

You could via T21s, but how common is that? When do you have trees growing on a bridge? Shrubbery, maybe, but probably not trees, as far as I can tell.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Will12

Just to blend in with the other avenues. Sometimes I use them as to make my city look greener and having lumps of concrete ramps looks kinda outta place. Yeah no trees. Bt maybe shrubs.

ivo_su

If  we must talk about medians of EAVE-6 it is definitely not going to have soil on a bridge  in order to have any plants in there.  I now think of one possible way with the help of tile paving in the middle of the boulevard. On it can have lighting, and vases or jars with vegetation.  Such a method I've seen in a  TE-Lot of  ILL'tonkso here
And my response to Alex and Ganaram is as follows:
- I am a big fan of wide avenues with 6 / 8 lanes and more of the EL-NWM but because maybe it will be a gradual process is more logical to start from the most necessary. I understand that probably needs el-AVE/TLA-6/7 for me personally but for now we consumers  have a solution.  Far more tangible need to be tested EOWR-3/4/5 that can do similar work  as the AVE / TLA and  when they are parallel  to each other have a natural barrier in the middle.  For me this is a clone of the right, but again I say  I just share my opinion and the final choice is only to Alex - who actually deal with this.
And  last I want to insert opinion for pedestrians, El-networks. How  do you think they will  get on and off of these  pavements, the second level and why does it  move the earth. It seems too uncomfortable.

Thank you for your attention
- Ivo

GDO29Anagram

I can only type out a response more effectively while on a Qwerty keyboard, so,...

Quote from: ivo_su on January 22, 2012, 06:09:24 PM
If  we must talk about medians of EAVE-6 it is definitely not going to have soil on a bridge  in order to have any plants in there.  I now think of one possible way with the help of tile paving in the middle of the boulevard. On it can have lighting, and vases or jars with vegetation.

Keep in mind: These things are not standard with the NAM itself, so your message would have to go to a third-party T-21 maker, and I just so happen to be one. I could just copy over the lights and selected shrubbery to the EAVE-6, but you're essentially putting a giant metal pole and plants in the middle of asphalt. Not very pretty, not very safe, and not too structurally sound, unless you change the textures (also, a third-party thing) so that it's a concrete barrier instead of yellow lines.

Quote from: ivo_su on January 22, 2012, 06:09:24 PM
And  last I want to insert opinion for pedestrians, El-networks. How  do you think they will  get on and off of these  pavements, the second level and why does it  move the earth. It seems too uncomfortable.

If you're just using EAVE-6's for the purpose of going over a highway, then you have every reason to allow pedestrian sidewalks, as with cars.

And they'll get on and off the same way cars get on and off: Using the transition pieces and on-slope pieces that (will eventually) come with the EAVE-6.

Best example of an EAVE-6 with elevated crossings I can find at the moment: http://maps.google.com/?ll=33.785802,-116.354112&spn=0.001907,0.002642&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6
<INACTIVE>
-----