• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michi_cc

Okay, I've deleted all NAM files and installed it again and now it is working. No idea where the difference to before is, but oh well...

itsacoaster

Hi, I think there's some trouble with the OWR-4 paths.  Not sure if this problem happened due to the latest NAM so I'm posting it here.

As you can see from these pictures, cars that enter the OWR-4 on the left side cannot make a right turn.  As a result, they do not exit the freeway and take a very long path to do what should have been a simple right turn.

Left turn: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/itsacoaster/owr4_left.jpg:original
Right turn: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/itsacoaster/owr4_right.jpg:original

Now if you take a look at the paths, it appears as though it's not possible for cars in the second lane from the left to make it to the right-hand lane.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a113/itsacoaster/owr4_paths.jpg:original

It appears as though the same would be true for cars in the right tile trying to make a left turn, and OWR-5 is the same way.

Is this the intended behavior?

Tarkus

The idea behind that sort of pathing was that the vehicles would be able to use the crossover paths and make it over to the rightmost lane--which it doesn't appear they're doing for some reason.  The paths generally don't allow dual-lefts and dual-rights off of the wider NWM OWRs, as, from a realism standpoint, that would create an unrealistic traffic pattern.

-Alex

itsacoaster

Yeah, I understand the purpose of the crossover paths.  It's possible that it worked before, but I honestly couldn't tell you for sure.  I think I would have noticed if it wasn't working but I've only used the wider OWRs a handful of times.

And just so you know, I tried a different alignment (with a longer OWR-4 approaching the intersection) and fast forwarded through several game months to see if it would recalculate but it never worked.

regoarrarr

Question on the NWM.  I have an TLA-5, which is a double-tile road.  How can I transition this down to either a 2 or 3 lane road?  The only transition piece I see is from a TLA-5 to a MAVE-4 which is still a dual-tile network.

Suggestions / examples of how to do this, or if it's even possible?

EDIT: Somewhat answering my own question, it looks like I can drag a Maxis avenue off of the end of a TLA-5, which then lets me just drag a Maxis road off of it, but is there a better way?

Indiana Joe

Quote from: regoarrarr on April 27, 2013, 07:02:05 AM
Somewhat answering my own question, it looks like I can drag a Maxis avenue off of the end of a TLA-5, which then lets me just drag a Maxis road off of it, but is there a better way?

Nope.  They can't make transitions between every network; this is the shortest way to do it.

itsacoaster

If you want a smoother transition from 5-to-3 lane TLA avenue, you can use the AVE-4-to-AVE-2 transition, drag TLA-5 into the AVE-4 side, and drag TLA-3 into the AVE-2 side.

GMT

is there an easy way to get rid of the turn arrows on TLA-3/5/7 ?
you know, those that pop op every few tiles since 31.1
to me, they're a real eyesore and tbh I can't remember ever seeing them in RL &mmm

... really, it is. I swear.

Haljackey

Quote from: GMT on April 28, 2013, 02:12:20 AM
to me, they're a real eyesore and tbh I can't remember ever seeing them in RL &mmm

Ya? They're used quite often here:
-But the dashed line is on the outside :P

Perhaps something like a TuLEP for these arrow markings could work instead?

EDIT: Or maybe a cosmetic piece?

Magneto

Quote from: GMT on April 28, 2013, 02:12:20 AM

Yes, simply remove the TLA Center Turn Arrows folder from your NWM folder and you're good  ;)

GMT

Quote from: Magneto on April 28, 2013, 11:48:11 AM
Yes, simply remove the TLA Center Turn Arrows folder from your NWM folder and you're good  ;)
you, sir, are a genius  &apls
thanks for the help

Quote from: Haljackey on April 28, 2013, 10:30:31 AM
Ya? They're used quite often here:
-But the dashed line is on the outside :P

Perhaps something like a TuLEP for these arrow markings could work instead?

EDIT: Or maybe a cosmetic piece?

maybe a canadian thing?
when I lived in the states (phoenix,az with regular trips to vegas and LA), I've never seen a single set of these, that's why I wondered.
anyways, a cosmetic piece sounds good to me.
or maybe make it an optional item in the installer? under the arrows section for roundabouts/1way...

... really, it is. I swear.

itsacoaster

Everywhere I've lived in the US paints the turn arrows in the turn lane.  My hometown is obsessed with TLAs and they're all painted that way.

DJSun1981

I have some suggestions for the NWM:

I would like to have:

-) Bridges and underpasses for the 7,5m puzzle-pieces
-) Exit/Entrance Ramps for the 15m Ave/Road/One-Way Network
-) Turning lanes for the 15mAve

Haljackey

Actually a lot of these are possible if you're willing to transition to other networks.

-Simply transition your one or two tile NWMs to road or ave to make 7.5m overpasses or let other networks pass over them. Then just simply convert then back to NWM on the other side.
-Again, just transition them for a short distance to use the ramps/slip lanes from the other networks.
-There is a turning lane for the 15m ave, but its currently designed in mind for single-point diamond RHW interchanges.

j-dub

I noticed people would do just that, when they would switch from a 3 tile NWM to three tile Elevated RHW 6, before continuing the 3 tile NWM across. In this setup, they had that overpass there.

As for angled entrances desired for elevated avenues/oneways/roads, without dropping back to the ground, I would say El-RHW ramps are just going to have to be used for ramps between those 15m elevated piece setups.

Tarkus

Eventually, the plan is to have elevated NWM networking.  But we don't yet know when that will be.

-Alex

vinlabsc3k

@DJSun1981: For the 1st point use L1 RHW-x and for 2nd one use L2. ;)
@Haljackey: These solutions are good for TLA 5 or RD-4, ;) but for other cases are visually and functionally better intersection puzzle pieces. &mmm
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Wiimeiser

Quote from: Tarkus on May 19, 2013, 09:09:00 PM
Eventually, there plan is to have elevated NWM networking.  But we don't yet know when that will be.

-Alex

Should be one of your biggest priorities. What's your top priority right now?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

jdenm8

Quote from: Wiimeiser on May 19, 2013, 11:16:08 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on May 19, 2013, 09:09:00 PM
Eventually, there plan is to have elevated NWM networking.  But we don't yet know when that will be.

-Alex

Should be one of your biggest priorities. What's your top priority right now?

Fixing NAM31, not making cosmetically different clones of existing content.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tarkus

Yup.  Between fixing NAM 31 and RL, I haven't actually made much in the way of new content for at least a couple months now.

Quote from: jdenm8 on May 19, 2013, 11:20:18 PM
not making cosmetically different clones of existing content.

To be fair, if we're talking about Elevated NWM, there are a few networks that do have functional impetus.  But making the existing Road/OWR/AVE viaducts draggable is a higher priority.  The next highest priority on the NWM side would be adding more transitions, followed by delving further into the diagonal intersections.

-Alex