• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Made my first 'true' stack with NAM 42. It really showcases the new 3-level connector pieces!

Click images for full size

Back in 2005, this was a distant pipe dream. Now reality!  ;D

Tarkus

So yeah, NAM 43 development has already commenced. 

Technically, this is a Type 110-Median FTL . . . but yeah, it looks like . . . something else someone's been requesting for a long time.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

Is that... Draggable WRHW-2? Sort of? Hopefully it supports going under FlexFly... Wishful thinking, though, just like 6S FlexFly, but I can dream, right?

I also had a thought about how two lanes could be added/dropped at once if you got rid of both the innermost and outermost lanes at once. You'd probably have to disable MIS transitions, though. As far as the implementation would work you'd just place two inline FlexTransitions next to each other.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

matias93

More like an AVE-2 with asphalt instead of a proper median, but is close

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895

roadgeek

Quote from: Haljackey on August 26, 2021, 04:43:47 PM
Made my first 'true' stack with NAM 42. It really showcases the new 3-level connector pieces!

Click images for full size

Back in 2005, this was a distant pipe dream. Now reality!  ;D

Looks like the San Antonio stack interchanges. I have plans to build some nice High-5 style interchanges, but unfortunately, I've come down with Covid, and my wife caught it too, so we are just trying to recover, without everything going haywire on us.

dicko6

Praying hard for more diagonal stuff and a basketweave with FLEX overrides in 43... my 6C puzzle pieces still get a solid workout, even in these FLEX times! Love your work Tarkus (and co!), NAM42 and your video with Rob got me back into it after many years and even to ditch my love affair with puzzle pieces! Well, that and 200+ days of lockdown in Australia.

In the decades I've been playing it seems you've never stopped making it better.

Looking forward to QuickChange progress too, those full diamonds have been teased for what feels like ever!!

P.S. Those fricken silos...

roadgeek

Well, I wasn't kidding about coming up with a High-Five replica. Still a work in Progress, but have a look and enjoy....

roadgeek

Quote from: dicko6 on September 20, 2021, 08:59:36 AM
Praying hard for more diagonal stuff and a basketweave with FLEX overrides in 43...

I am earnestly petitioning (I feel awkward using the word praying) for FLEX FARHW and FLEX FANWM because I would love to...
Quote from: dicko6 on September 20, 2021, 08:59:36 AMditch my love affair with puzzle pieces!

Quote from: dicko6 on September 20, 2021, 08:59:36 AMWell, that and 200+ days of lockdown in Australia.
Makes me so grateful to be living in Texas!
In the decades I've been playing it seems you've never stopped making it better.
Ain't that the truth!

Looking forward to QuickChange progress too, those full diamonds have been teased for what feels like ever!!

P.S. Those fricken silos...

I thought we already had QC full diamonds. You ought to check out the REW thread. I use REW extensively, integrating it with RHW ramps to create nice looking frontage roads.

roadgeek

Here is what it looks like when finished...

dicko6

holy crap! Pretty darn accurate too, but for the carpool lane flyover which doesn't even seem doable in sc4... makes me wish I wasn't just bussing through last time I was in Texas. Even got the surface streets volleyball stuff going on... did you have any stability issues with the short on-slope stubs over the ground highway at the centre? I've typically found I need a bit more room to make these stick.

Did you have to use that 3-level flex piece thing in the middle of those side-to-sides? Figuring out where to place that has been pretty difficult too as it's a newer piece without much in the way of how-tos, it has led to many bulldozings. I don't think they ended up utilising it in the Tarkus+Rob video.

Tarkus

Indeed, some impressive interchanges here, Haljackey and roadgeek!

Quote from: roadgeek on September 24, 2021, 07:58:14 AM
I thought we already had QC full diamonds. You ought to check out the REW thread. I use REW extensively, integrating it with RHW ramps to create nice looking frontage roads.

The QuickChange (QC) features presently available include the "quadrant" setups for diamonds (basically, the ramp interface and the height transition together), and the parclo equivalent (with the 180° loop).  The full-on interchanges (QuickChange Xpress, or QCX), are not yet available.  We still need to shore up some of the ingredients for them (particularly on the FTL side) before those go live, but for those wondering what happened to them, rest assured, we haven't forgotten the QCXs.  At some point in the near future (not NAM 43), they will resurface.

Quote from: dicko6 on September 27, 2021, 08:29:16 PM
Did you have to use that 3-level flex piece thing in the middle of those side-to-sides? Figuring out where to place that has been pretty difficult too as it's a newer piece without much in the way of how-tos, it has led to many bulldozings. I don't think they ended up utilising it in the Tarkus+Rob video.

When Rob and I were doing the video, we were on NAM 41 still.  We kept the revival of the Three-Level Crossings pretty much under wraps until Lucario's "Secret Weapon" video, which is probably the best source:

There had actually been some documentation written for them back with NAM 31 with the old PDFs, when they were originally planned to debut, but were pulled (but despite our best efforts, escaped being removed from the old documentation) late in the development cycle of that very messy release.  I'll see if I can salvage it.

As far as my latest developmental adventures, after all these fancy interchange escapades, I've actually gone back to expanding the RHW at its rural roots . . .

Yes, those are RHW-4 Type 120 FTLs.

And, as I started adding SITAP-style signalization support to the RHW networks that support at-grade surface intersections, you can signalize these beasties if you'd like, too.  (T21 signal placement not finalized.)

-Alex

Wiimeiser

That looks really nice. I wonder if there could be a version that has both left and right turns while continuing as MIS?
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

noahclem

Looks fantastic, Alex, both with an empty median tile and without  &apls &apls

Quote from: Wiimeiser on September 28, 2021, 02:42:00 AM
That looks really nice. I wonder if there could be a version that has both left and right turns while continuing as MIS?

Personally I'd think that idea would fit better with 1-tile geometry of RHW2, something very common around these parts. A top priority addition might be adding a right turn lane to the mix above ;)

pieman102

That looks great!. My question is, will it be made compatible with the slip lanes?

AsimPika3172

I loves Sim City forever!

dedgren

Beautiful work! Kudos to Alex and the NAM Team.
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

dyoungyn

WOW, absolutely amazing stuff an ability.  Thank you for sharing.

roadgeek

Quote from: dicko6 on September 27, 2021, 08:29:16 PM
holy crap! Pretty darn accurate too, but for the carpool lane flyover which doesn't even seem doable in sc4...
Exactly! Reversable lanes is simply not a SC4 concept.

Quote from: dicko6 on September 27, 2021, 08:29:16 PMmakes me wish I wasn't just bussing through last time I was in Texas. Even got the surface streets volleyball stuff going on...
I only wish I could have gotten the U-Turns to work properly. There are some stability issues there.

Quote from: dicko6 on September 27, 2021, 08:29:16 PMdid you have any stability issues with the short on-slope stubs over the ground highway at the centre? I've typically found I need a bit more room to make these stick.
Nope. Often what I'll do, is plant the OSTs right next to where the highway will go through, and then drag the highway through afterward, I did have to destroy and rebuild a few times, simply because of the fact that the OST has to be there before the L0 highway is built, which auto-builds the bridge.

Quote from: dicko6 on September 27, 2021, 08:29:16 PMDid you have to use that 3-level flex piece thing in the middle of those side-to-sides? Figuring out where to place that has been pretty difficult too as it's a newer piece without much in the way of how-tos, it has led to many bulldozings. I don't think they ended up utilising it in the Tarkus+Rob video.
I had to go back and watch the Secret Weapon #1 video, to see exactly where to place that 3-Level piece, and I had to build my Flex-FLY a couple tiles away from the US-75 main lanes as well. since Flex-Fly doesn't play nice with the 3-Level piece. I can only imagine the headache it would be to set the Rul-2 code up for that to work out!

roadgeek

I created my own basket weave, using MIS. This is an emulation with similarity to I-635 in Dallas, near where it intersects with Montfort Rd, for anyone familiar with that area.

dyoungyn

Can anyone tell me how to draw the attached RHW Function Angle (FARHW) pieces?  I prefer Flex FARHW pieces if possible. 

BLUF, I am sure we have the ability to do this, but I do not know how.  These pieces are different from RAR road pieces.