• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

BTW welcome to page 55 of this awsome 3RR MD

ahhhhhhhh there he is, i was getting a tad bit worried about ya's david and btw some sexxxxy curves there. 
LOL Meinhosen that sounds like a good idea lol. - Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Badsim

Glad to find again some of your superb pictures of 3RR's nature , David .
This curves are now major musical notes in this realism symphony ... &apls

Quote from: dedgren on April 24, 2007, 01:25:51 AM

I'm going to have to do seasonal water plants- they're too green for that time of year.

Right ; good idea . :thumbsup:

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

BigSlark

Welcome back from RL, David.

I try not to think about the curves or else I wouldn't build outside of established (read gridded) downtowns.

Cheers,
Kevin

dedgren

Just a quick pair of teasers this evening, as I've focused my efforts this weekend on the collaboration side of the house.

Winter road up the pass

Tejada Spring impoundment

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

sebes

And YET you know how to amaze me....  The curving pass in the snow, the spring, it's all so beautiful  :-[
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

asturianu

SEE? Now I am a 3RR ADDICT!!! I NEED PICX!!! haha, I loved those roads, I would need them, but now I must stay amazed of your great work!
The develope of Lloyd is very active, but I'll give you some money to develope Pineshore and Carson Bluff. Ok? I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS BEAUTIFULL REGION UNDER DEVELOPE!! I would like to see that Pineshore hasn't highrises. I would like a skyline like Anchorage one!  ;D :thumbsup:

See ya and take care, David!

Cristian

bat

wonderful teasers! great picture of the road and wonderful picture of the river, david! :thumbsup:

Pat

David im sooooooooo well i dont know if its the lack of sleep talking or just that im nutzs,
Been on the run since 1130 am sunday and on a total of since 4pm yesterday 4 brush fires and one house fire.  the house fire and 3 of the brush fires since 330am and now finaly home at 1230 pm cst. But hot dang the winter drive up the pass is sweet with the nice flowing curves. That stream is just simply sweet i likies.   Looking forward to the full update.
your dead to the world friend - patrick

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

I love the curves in the snow, David! Beautiful picture, almost as much so as the spring impoundment below it!

emilin

You are right, David. This does change the game forever. It looks brilliant! &apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Thornton

That winter pass is excellent.  I just love how the road curves through the forest, the curves are really going to make everything look more natural which is a huge plus.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dedgren

Well, here's the natural landscape that will become most of Spanish Bay Regional Park, 3RR's second largest.

The hook-shape peninsula at the bottom of the pic is Spanish Head, a 290 foot/88 meter promontory that is one of the oldest placenames in the area.  Early settlers in the region believed that Indian legend had it that a group of Spaniards split off from the party led by explorer Francisco Coronado after the seven cities of Cibola had been discovered and looted.  They, of course, took the gold, leaving Coronado so embarrassed about the situation he reported to the crown that Cibola was a myth and there was no gold at all.

The party, consisting of about 20 men, fled east from the area that became the modern State of Utah with the gold in horse-drawn wagons.  Pursued by a succession of plains Indians, the Spaniards traveled across the Great Basin then onto the great prairies west of the Missouri River.  Ultimately they reached then unexplored Minnesota.  Hopelessly lost, and with the Indians hard at their heels, the men burst from the forest and found themselves on the western shore of the vast expanse of Hotham Inlet just south of the mouth of a large river.  Some of the men were dispatched to summit a high promontory on a point.

On reaching the top, out in the waters before them they could see two smaller islands not far from shore and the long, low shape of land, now known to be Pratt Island, on the horizon about five miles distant.

These findings reported, the party resolved to convert the two of the wagons bearing the gold into boats and hide the treasure on the nearest island.  With their load thus lightened, they planned to strike south with the remaining horses until civilization was reached, where they planned to rest, re-equip and re-arm over the coming winter.  The second-in-command took five men with him in the wagon-boats to help bury the gold, with those remaining setting up a camp near the mouth of a small creek.  A large hole was dug on the north-west side of the island now known as Treasure Island and the Cibola gold was placed in it.  Two of the men, the second-in-command and a soldier named Núñez, boated out to the further island and, using a "lightning struck" oak tree as a point of reference, walked "six paces west, then four south" from its base.  Sighting back to the place where the treasure was buried, they found it to be just below where "the great south-western star" hung above the crest of the hill on Treasure Island in the days of the first quarter of the waxing moon.

The two boats set out for shore, with those who buried the treasure in the first and the second-in-command and Núñez in the rear.  On rounding what is now Spanish Head and entering the bay of that same name, the party was horrified to see their camp in flames, the horses running free and their comrades being massacred by a large group of Indians.  Seeking to turn and escape, the first boat foundered and sank, drowning all aboard.  The second boat, bearing the last two Spaniards, made it out of the bay and back to the open waters of the inlet, where it then disappeared into the swirling mist of long intervening years...

This was the story those original 3RR settlers were told by the friendly Indians who were frequenting the region when they arrived on the scene.  It went on to describe how Núñez and his leader were ultimately captured near current day Des Plaines, and the latter was killed shortly thereafter.  Núñez, however, survived to pass his tale on and, legend has it, was ultimately accepted by his captors into the tribe, becoming a great chief.  The treasure, of course, has never been found, although many have searched long and hard.

Here's the same view in the fall

A different angle.

Spanish Bay.

The bay from the north.

Massacre Creek.  The creek is short, just a little less than a mile long, and rises from springs at the base of a rock outcropping.  It is not believed the Spaniards ever explored upstream to such extent as they might have ever been there.

Along the creek.

The springs.  These are now one of the most popular attractions in the park.

The view south along the creek from above the springs.  As an aside, in the 1970s and based on the thinking in some quarters of the region that the name "Massacre Creek" recalled a day and time best forgotten, a local referendum was held to receive popular opinion as to a new name.  A "write-in" choice, "Have a Nice Day Creek," won overwhelmingly.  Needless to say, the name remains Massacre Creek to this day.

North of Spanish Bay one arrives at Finger Point.

The last place reached before leaving the quad to the north is Angel Head, better known as the model for "The Cliffs of Insanity" in the 1987 movie "The Princess Bride."

Hope you've enjoyed this little tour of one of the 3RR quads that will be available for development as a 400+ acre regional park in the next round of 3RR collaboration.  Thanks for stopping by.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

asturianu

&apls :thumbsup:
NICE!!!! Spanish Bay!  As Spanish I am I know people named Núñez and Francisco, etc, and the settlement is a nice place, David. I like how it looks!
Congrats, this region is such a nice place to build towns, but I have to ask! Is 3RR in Alaska or in the great Lakes area? Sorry, I am a bit confussed!
But I have to say that the feeling is totally Alaskan! I have never been out of Spain, but Internet helps! Great work, David, and I will be here helping with develope in 3RR!!

Cristian

bat

Fantastic Spanish Bay! Great work! :thumbsup:

stewart_garden

Hi David,

I am very much enjoying your back story as I lurk at 3RR with the intention of posting more frequently.

Your latest update reminds me of the Norman MacLean novel 'A River Runs Through It' where he tells stories of his youth in Montana.  In particular an encounter with the USGS he had as a young forester, when he fought to keep the original (albeit slightly blue) names of various features before they were sanitized by being renamed after bears, deer etc.  Thinking he had successfully fought with the USGS to keep the name Wet Ass Creek, it appeared on the map as Wetase Creek, much to his disappointment!

Anyway, thought I'd share this as it amused me.  Thanks for a most enjoyable MD/project.

Stewart
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.

mightygoose

if i have the north side do i get any of the burbs or is it just the city centre... if we have such a large map and want a relatively small pop maybe the residential 1/3 'er mod could be good.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

thundercrack83

Ooh, Spanish Bay looks beautiful! I love the view in the fall! I'll be looking forward to more, my friend!

Fred_Ginger

David, I'm beginning to think you're seriously wasting your time as a lawyer and should consider fiction writing for your career!  Your vivid imagination and wry humor would certainly put you on the bestsellers list in no time!  Not to say you're wasting your time 'playing' SC, but with all you've written plus a little here and there and we could be buying the next great American novel! &apls &apls &apls
My name is Vicki
Fred and Ginger were my doggies
RIP my babies

pvarcoe

Beautiful set David.
I think that is one of 3RR's best ever.

Had to laugh at "The Cliffs of Insanity".

Phil

thundercrack83

And I guess I'll open up the door...