• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Barsalargonia - Update 23 - August 23 2009

Started by Splime, May 31, 2009, 12:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Splime

Welcome to Barsalargonia, a 7x7 large quad region that I am about to tackle... oh my.

I've decided to make a Mayor Diary here at SC4D, as my summer vacation is coming up, and I'll have a bit more time. (Though I should note I will be without SC4 from June 22nd to the start of July.) I have in fact made City Journals before at ST, but it's been a while since then. In fact, they don't show up on searches anymore. Oh, and there's my GRV II Region.

So, for this region, I used the Barsalonia region by the NHP, and made a few adjustments. I hope you enjoy it!  :thumbsup:

Table of Contents:

Splime

Update 0: John Newman Mining Corp.

Here's where I began the project, Quad C3. (I've given each row a number from 0 to 6, and each column a letter from A to G. The details are in the last picture.)

And here's where it is after adding trees. The specific trees are Elm, Douglas Fir, and Subalpine Fir, which are all probably my favorite trees when put together. It gives some nice diversity, in my opinion. Anyway, for the rest of the update, I worked in the southeast corner of the quad.

This is the John Newman Mining Corp., a combination of Big John's Mine (to the South) and the Newman Inc. Coal Mine (North). There's going to be a small industrial area nearby to process the mined materials.

This is the main road near the mine, the John Newman Highway. To the south, it follows a nearby river, and to the north (off screen), there is a fork in the road between following the river and crossing the mountains.

And this is the zoning that was made to prepare for housing. It turned out that it wasn't enough (since the mines added too many industrial jobs) so I had to add some more...

You can see some of the initial housing to the west, and to the east is the new housing zones and a church in the middle of the new development.

This is the mine, with the nearby industry built up (mostly). I cheated and filled the empty zones with deadwood's oil field lots, and I think it adds a neat effect.

Here's a zoom in of that housing expansion.

An overview of the update. (Click for full image.)

And the current region map.

Thanks for reading!

io_bg

Nice start, can't wait to see more! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

art128

Excellent start my friend, it's very nice.
I like your residential development !
Looking forward to more.

Take care,
-Arthur.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kwakelaar

Great looking mining town and a nice start for this new MD.

Nexis4Jersey

what an excellent start , i like the quiet mining town feel to it  :thumbsup:

Splime

Thanks everyone!

Replies:

io_bg: Thanks, you will get to see more soon.

Arthur (art128): Thanks, though you can thank XiahouDun for forcing me into spreading out the houses like that in GRV II, which gave me this "system" of spreading out the houses.

kwakelaar: Thanks, I'm glad I managed to make it look like a mining town.

Corey (Nexis4Jersey): Thanks, though it's not too quiet in the industrial area.

I'll have a new update later today, probably.

straha

I really like the look of the land and the terraforming you did.  What terrain, water and tree mod's are you using?  They look really good to me.
- Straha, the Bard of Hackney

TopCliff

This is an excellent start. I especially like the map you're working with,, reminds me somewhat of a shrunken Italy with more islands.
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

blade2k5

This is so cool :thumbsup:  Someone using one of my maps for an MD ;D  I'm going to have to follow this one closely because funny thing is, I liked working on this map myself.  Good start, love the mining town, also, and interesting way to name your tiles.  I'll definitely be back to to see what you do with this map.  This is indeed a treat ;D

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

Splime

Replies:

straha: Thanks! The terrain is c.p.'s Meadowshire Terrain Mod, water is Pegasus' Brigantine Water Mod, and the trees are c.p.'s Elm, Douglas Fir, and Subalpine Fir.

Leo (TopCliff): Thanks, though I think more applause should go to the NHP for the amazing map!

blade2k5: Wow, the actual creator of the map! It looked like a great map to work with, so I had to try it.

Update 1: Agriculture and More Farms

So I noticed that there was a bit of empty space between some of the houses near the church, so I decided to put a small ploppable lake there. After removing the trees (and activating the grid), this is what the area looks like.

Of course, every ploppable lake needs water! Though first, I had to lower the area it would sit in.

Then came some details to surround the lake, and a pathway so sims can enjoy it.

Add some trees back, and there's the finished product.

Here's a zoom 5 shot of the lake. (Click for full image)

The next half of this update deals with some more expansion:

Here's some extra zoning, including a cow farm and a few more houses.

...And here's its developed form.

And then I took on some of the land north of the railroad, adding three more farms, some housing, and a small commercial area.

...And after the click (well, after a few clicks, as some of the farms were less than satisfactory... remind me to clean out my plugins soon). (Click for full image)

And here's the status of the town after Update 1! Thanks for reading!

Battlecat

Excellent start!  It really does look like a mining town.  Nice work on that pond, looks great!  Can't wait to see what you're planning next!

evertonforever1

Really reminds me of a small town anywhere in BC, or Alberta

blade2k5

QuoteWow, the actual creator of the map! It looked like a great map to work with, so I had to try it.

<a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZSfox000%2526i%253D15%252F15%255F1%255F131%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com" border="0  I tend to agree.  Out of my fantasy map collection, it is one of my favorites.  I had the 4x4 northeast corner of the map finished before I got bored with it.  I've never completed a region yet and most likely never will :D

Love the update, but got a question for you, what trails are you using?  I have a trail set, but nothing like that...

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

petercintn

Very nice, I like everything so far.
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

Splime

Replies:

Battlecat: Thanks! I always like working on small things like ponds.

evertonforever1: Thanks, though I've never actually been to BC or Alberta, but I'll take your word for it.

blade2k5: Thanks! The paths are from ChrisAdams3997's RRP: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1885 They're draggable, which allows for the nice curves.

petercintn: Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure when I'll have the next update. I'm busy with a project that needs to be finished this week, as well as some GRV II work I need to do. If I don't update before the weekend, I'll definitely have an update then.

calibanX

Great looking mining town. Rural settings are my favorite. It will be fun to watch this.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

Luke09

Nice Splime!I love those small towns,they are my second favorite town style!Keep it up
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

Earth quake

Excellent work Splime.
I really like this village.
A very beautiful rural atmosphere, you used the batiments perfectly

Vivien.

art128

this last update is fantastic my friend, your little towns are looking wonderful. I really love the pond you make, it's very realistic.  :thumbsup:
Looking forward to more.

Take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog