• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Barsalargonia - Update 23 - August 23 2009

Started by Splime, May 31, 2009, 12:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swesim

I really like this MD, especially since You seem to be using the Barsalonian map which I am using myself at the moment.
I will follow this MD closely to get any tips on how to develop the map...  ;)

Splime

Replies:

Geoff (CalibanX): Thanks! I don't know what it is about rural settings that makes them so nice, but I like them too.

Luke09: Thanks, but what's your first favorite town style?

Vivien (Earth quake): Thanks!

Arthur (art128): Thanks. Sorry I haven't supplied anything new yet, but there should be something soon.

Swesim: Thanks, it is a nice map to work with. And thanks for bringing us to page 2!

Sorry I haven't updated yet as promised, I've had a pretty busy weekend. I'll hopefully have something substantial within a few days.

Earth quake

Impatient to see this new update, in spite of delay.  :thumbsup:

Vivien.

Luke09

Suburbs and CBD's are in a Tie for first position(so rural towns are the third not the second lol,a little mistake),but i think i prefer suburbs.And i just dont have creativty to make suburbs   :-[
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

Tomas Neto

Wow, your MD is fantastic!!! Great work here, with realistic rural areas!!!

FrankU

A good feel of beautiful detail in your MD.

Also the very realistic look of the first mining settlement in simple rows. After that a better and more widespread placement of housing.

But how do you get your neigbourhoods so uniform in housetypes? Did you plop them? Or did you just have these in your plunginsfolder? One of the most irritating things in game is that it is amost impossible to me to make neighbourhoods with uniform housings. If someone has tips, I'd really like to hear about them.

Nice map indeed! Too large for my computer though....

Splime

Replies:

Vivien (Earth quake): Thanks, though I'm afraid this is more of a mini-update than anything.

Luke09: Well, I'm not sure you'll be seeing much of any CBDs here, but maybe some suburbs...

Tomas Neto: Thanks, though probably helps that I live in a rural area (sort of).

FrankU: Thanks! The housing is all grown. The secret is that I have a maxis-blocker, and these houses seem to be the only stage 1 R$ homes I have. (Switching to Chicago tileset only helps for these houses.) For the first 1000-2000 people, that's all that grows. Then I have to deal with a few stage 3's that try to move in. Not a problem for my bulldozer though. Later on I might be forced to do stuff to my plugins, but for now, that's how it works.

Update 2: A Small Expansion

So, I find myself without much time, but I do have a few pics from some development recently, so I can show them until I get something bigger to show you all.

First of all, there's a new school, which should attract some R$$ into the town.

In the north of this area (east of the mountains) I've decided to fill in the last of this space.

Here's the proposed zoning.

And a final result. Well, it may not be final, because I'm not sure about the cul-de-sac village. I might replace it with another farm, but I might just leave it. We'll see.

When I have more time I'll finish up this side of the mountain range and then we'll be going through the tunnel to develop the other side.

Luke09

Nice pics Splime!And about the CBDs,well there is no problem,i love rural development,since i dont have may bats,and i cant do it here,so i like to see others ppl development
Tu és
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

Swesim

Wonderful rural pix again, thanx for sharing!

Battlecat

I know the feeling about having small quantities of time to update.  Glad to see you found some!  Nice update, those are a couple of great additions to the area. 

Splime

Replies:

Luke09: Thanks, I'm glad you like the pics!

Swesim: And thanks for looking at the pics!

Battlecat: Thanks! My summer break is coming up very soon, so I'll have more time then.

As far as another update is concerned, it should come within a few days. I've get a GRV II update to do first.

kwakelaar

Well, what can I say... the results are looking great. Nice combination of rocks and flora

Earth quake

Nice update Splime.
I really love the first and the last pics.
Excelent work.

Vivien.

Splime

Replies:

kwakelaar: Thanks! I do like incorporating nature in my towns and cities.

Vivien (Earth quake): Thanks! Based on your feedback, I'm guessing that showing the final product is better than showing the process. (Though I will probably still include both.)

I was going to have an update ready today, but it's getting late, and I'd rather not be editing pictures into the night. So, here's part of the region picture after the expansion I did earlier today:

The rest of the update, which will detail how this came to be, will come later.

art128

Nice region view there my friend, the general shot of C3 is realistic. Also, the last update is great, I love the extension you made.
Take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Splime

Reply:

Arthur (art128): Thanks, I'm glad it looks realistic.

Update 3: Finishing the Area

So, this section of land seemed empty, and while I wanted everything here to be sparse, I at least wanted some development.

Some scattered residential zones did the trick, allowing for enough development to achieve a realistic spread, without making the area lose its rural nature. The lots were specially placed to allow power road access to the FAR pieces and avoid the need for power lines.

And here's the finished product. The only downside is that if you zoom in, the driveways don't quite connect to the road.

Next, I moved on to develop across the river. I forgot to take a picture of before development, so here's a picture with the basic road network in place. When I built the bridge, I noticed that the green arch bridge fit perfectly, so I had to choose it, even though there may have been better choices for a rural bridge.

After some minor terrain adjustments, this is the zone plan.

Click here for mosaic of the results (~1.0 MB)

Finally, an overview pic of everything that has been done in Barsalargonia so far. Next update, we'll be on the other side of the mountains.

art128

Again, the extensions are looking excellent for me my friend ! great work with the fields.
Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Luke09

Nice pics Splime!I really loved your job.Could You show a Transport vision on next update  :) ?
Tu és
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

Battlecat

Looking good!  I really like using that sparse zoning method you did there!  The driveways not quite connecting up is just one of the small prices we have to pay for breaking the grid.  When it comes right down to it, the curves and fractional angles make everything look so good, it's hard to care about those little details.  Keep up the great work! 

FrankU

Really nice work. So natural, no fancy stuff, but somehow real good looking.