• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Urland - a (mostly) rural Coastline

Started by Nardo69, March 24, 2007, 12:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmymac

Very nice I must say, I know what you mean about the trains, I had an odd moment the other day where a GLR train passed through a normal train as it crossed the rails, looked very very odd. I just closed my eyes and waited for the bang.

Nardo69

Hello to All!

As promised the answer plus another miniupdate! I hope you like railways ... if not, well ....

@snaper(1/2): Merci beaucoup pour ton compliment!

@toheys(1/3): Actually, I do the it oldfashioned way:
a) zone
b) wait untill something grows
c) see if I like it - if I like make it historical, if not -> goto b)
not the fastest way to build ...
If you want to get low-density R$ it gets a bit easier:
- no water, no civic services, firefighters not before you need them
- no eyecandy, wait with these park lots undtill you got your desiered neigbourhoud ...
And the beer is of course cold and delicious!

@bat: Thanks for the compliment!

@sebes(1/2): d'Oh! yeah - you're right - should've known that they never come alone ...
Let's take the one opposite to the church ... less moskitos ...

@patfirefgthr(1/2): Wow, now that's a compliment ...

@Darmok: Hello John!
Well, the wheelstoppers (that's at least the name of the ingame prop in the LE ... the German word for them is "Prellbock")
... ahem ...
... seems to be Ol' Naggin' Nardo was Nagged ...
well, I did a workaround:

Glad you fixed your lag problem.
About the brandy: AFAIK it isonly allowed to make brandy from German products ...

@Kwakelaar: Hello Gjermund!
One of those Slogans meant to make the NAIS angry was "GERMANS: EAT GERMAN BANANAS!" ... and when those banana farms grew so often (I blasted quite some of them ...) I had to make a story of them ... And perfectness ... well, if something would be perfect it would be boring ...

@emilin(1/2): Thanks for the comliment! The picture is in my heart, I just need the right tools to get it on the screen I guess ...

@dedgren: WOAAAH! As I written in my previous post this was one of the really nice surprises in  my life! Thank you very much to everyone who brought my humble CJ there despite my rather irregular ans seldom updates ...

@thundercrack83: Thank you my friend! And I hope you like this whole bunch of Railway pics ...

@patfirefghtr(2/2): Thanks for the compliment! And I'll do my very best to keep my standard!

@sebes(2/2): Thanks for the compliment my friend!

@emilin(2/2): Thanks for the compliment! And you could be very well right: most CJs/MDs die after some weeks or months, seldom reach their first anniversary and my CJ/MD began more than two years ago ..

@Strechnitz: So did I with your wonderful MD!
Thanks for the compliment and welcome to my humble small Cj ...

@tooheys(2/3): Thanks for the compliment!
You know there had been a time when I was a comlete n00b ... give and take - I took quite som inspiration and help from other CJers and I am glad if I can help (or nag ) others ..

@kimcar: Thanks for the complment!

@Snaper(2/2): Merci pour ton compliment mon ami!

@Badsim: Thanks for the compliment and apologies for not posting in yours ... About the details: IMHO the details are the difference between a very good and an excelent city / map / region. And being nagged heavily by Nardo69 all the time I have to spend a lot of time designing (and enjoying) them ...

@rooker1: Hello Robin! Thanks for the compliment my friend!

@Nardo69: Shaddap!

@tooheys(3/3): Thanks for the compliment. Some more railways later in this post!

@jimmymac: yes, these are some of the things I pray for never having to whitness IRL ...

And here we are. Not much rural but a whole lotta railways todays ... thanks to Kenny's Batting art (the one who made the catenaries and made a nice German train that swamper is turning into autmata at the moment) I could do a nice engine station and holding tracks for the first time in SC4 ...

the train station and some "railway woods". The Kanal is the first Kanal I did witihn the last three years. I did the previous one with oppie's lots - there had been no alternative at that time ...

From a different angle. I couldn't get rid of the kink at the bridges as the railway lines had a smooth grade before ...

The holding tracks. The lots are zoned yet haven't grown by now unlike the cars that have been ornamented by now ...

A small overview. These prefab slap buildings can be seen all over (but not only) in Eastern Europe ...

The tracks at the norther head of the stations.

.. from a different angle with their surrounding. Again some railway forrest ...

@At All:

Have fun

(and don't forget to make backups!)

Bernhard

FromTheAshes

I love it, Bernhard! Very european feeling  &apls
Visit Vorsfelde.

bat

Great two new updates! Like the railway!

Congrats on your award! &apls

kwakelaar

The new train skin looks great. It is nice to see how the expert is making these kind of areas with all the tracks, will use this as a future reference  :thumbsup:

tooheys

Bernhard, Maxis rail wasn't designed to look that good, you really are a magician &apls

Honestly, that update shows rail pic's the best I've seen.

I'm lost for words so  :thumbsup: &apls  ;) ()stsfd() :) &dance

rooker1

Congrats on the award and awesome update.  The rail lines look very realistic and from what I know, I must agree it does look very european.  Great work as always my friend.

&apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

kimcar

&apls Really like what you did with the railway . super  :thumbsup:

Pat

OMG wow that Rail Yard is just awsome i love it and the train too it fits right well in there...
Bernhard you defintly have a high standered here keep it up - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

sebes

OMG - revival of my youth in this Urland update :  Uni-Coloured Plattenbauten in different colours (Lacken und Farben aus der DDR!) along a railyard with parked red Reichsbahn doubledeckers...  %BUd%   This is a very exiting update my friend!
I only miss the parkings filled with fluor-green, mint-blue and orange Trabbis!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

thundercrack83

WOW! Outstanding railway pictures, my friend! It looks so intricate! Excellent work!

Strechnitz

And thank you for the compliment :)

That is a nice update on railroads. I almost envy you for the realistic use of rail possibilities. They never seem to work for me. I usualy plant a station and let the tracks run of the map as soon as possible :)

Good job on them.

Strechnitz.

Yoder7652

well it has been too long since I've stopped by...my apologies!  ;D Your countryside pictures on the prior pages were so detailed and realistic. As always, the use of rails in this MD is most impressive, you have given me inspiration to re-do some of my prior railway work :)  Keep up the great work Bernhard...its a pleasure to see what you come up with it. &apls

threeswept

This is a great region! I love the rural aspect which isn't always found in CJ/MD's. Yours rivals another favourite of mine that ended in early 2006...Arques. And, I have to echo what others have stated from past weeks, your rail system is pretty spectacular!

BigSlark

Nardo69,

I had (somehow) missed this MD before today. Your railways are amazing! I can't wait to see what you develop next. I find European MD's very interesting as the population density is very different between the US and your home. I wouldn't imagine having so many residential units mixed in with small farms.

Cheers,
Kevin

Nardo69

I couldn't do a "regular update again (have to do some lotting and modding for Kenny as well as my permanent heavy RLS) but here is another Mini-Update. The theme of the last Mini-Updates was railway, now let's go to the competitor ....  ;)

But before we begin - as usual - some replies:

@FromTheAshes: Thanks for the compliment! :)

@bat: Thanks for the compliment! :)

@kwakelaar: Hello Gjermund! Expert, well, I just railways, and have a tad of some knowledge  ...  &blush
Now I am looking forward about what do you think about my "Autobahn" (highways) ...

@tooheys: Hello Dave! Woah ... what a superlative ... &blush thanks for the compliment! :)

@rooker1: Hello Robin! Thanks for the compliment! Well, I guess I cannot hide where I come from ... ;)

@kimcar: Thanks for the compliment! :)

@patfirefghtr: Thanks for the compliment! :)
I 'll do my very best to keep my standard but that may result in you waiting for the next update ...  :-[

@sebes: Some of those "Plattenbau"s kann be found in West Germany, too, but I agree with the Trabbis. ;)
Would be nice to have them anyway - these "Rennpappe" (race papers) were so common all over Eastern Europe ...

@thundercrack83: Thanks for the compliment my friend! :)

@Strechnitz: Thanks for the compliment. As for railway layouts - even though or because I know some of railways I can understand that it is difficult to make a nice and realistic railway layout if you don't understand exactly what you are doing. I may continue my railway tutorial in that way if I find the time ...

@Yoder7652: Thanks for the compliment! :)
Actually I was doing a more urban centre in the (large) map of this and the last Mini-Updates region but I am not really happy with it ... especially after I saw your CJ ..  &ops

@threeswept: Thanks for the compliment! :)
Actually I think I can say that I am not the first but one of the first MDers/CJers at all who put the rural aspect in the foreground ... and Urland is still one of the oldest "rural" MDs/CJs alive as I started it more than two years ago ... I never regretted it anyway :D

@BigSlark:

Thanks for the compliment!
With the residential units mixed with small farms, well that depends on the area where you go. Mostly the "farmers" used to live in villages - whereas village can range from 10 to almost 20.000 souls ...

Now let's go in medias res.

The theme of todays Mini-Update is:

All Along the Autobahn

Yep, this time the not railway but its competitor. Some of them are really old - planned under the last democratic chancellor Brüning and build under Adolf Hitler ...

Not much comments today - enjoy...!  ;)

The last has no relation to the today's theme - I just do like it ...  ;D

As always:

Have fun!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Yoder7652

very nice countryside  :thumbsup: &apls not a very busy highway, huh  ;D

Pat

LoL Nardo that was a real great update and i tend to agree that Autobahn aint really to busy LoL

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tooheys

Pat, that's because all the sims are using the superb train network  :)

Nice update Bernhard, still plenty of green there and I like the use of the hwy walls. :thumbsup:

The blue hightech building, where did you find that, looks good.

Cheers

Dave

thundercrack83

The Autobahn looks good, my friend! And maybe it is busy, but the cars are moving so fast we can't see them! It's an Autobahn, after all! Excellent update! I'll be looking forward to seeing more of them.