• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Urland - a (mostly) rural Coastline

Started by Nardo69, March 24, 2007, 12:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

First of all, Congrats on your trixie, Bernhard ! It's well deserved, me thinks.  :thumbsup:
There's somethings I really love in your MD an your updates, but it'll take too much time to describe them all, I'll tell you the main one, it's the railways. I know, you're a fan of railways - Me too - and I like to see in each update a railway passing though a town, village or small community. It's always so detailed.
The rural areas are very beautiful too, it's not so difficult to understand why you get always that trixie..  ;D (Just kidding  $%Grinno$% )
Hainingen is a nice squared small town, I like how you've developed it, around the station and not the church like we can see in almost all Europeans towns..  ::) ;) But I like that idea, nice job with it.

Looking forward to the next update with the tips and tricks..  :)

Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:

And BTW, welcome to page 24 of this awesome awesomeness MD ! &hlp
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kwakelaar

Well Bernhard, that was quite the update. The use of RRP flora and textures is really changing the look of your rural areas here.
I loved the overview picture of Petershain/Hainingen, it looks like the perfect German village recreated in SC4.
I also see some dykes along the river (I think?), I look forward to see what will happen in that area.
And your comment made me curious for your next update.

bat

Fantastic pictures there of your city there, Nardo69!  :thumbsup:

Nardo69

Happy New Year To Everyone!

Yes, the new decade has began. Unfortunately I haven't made my update but how about another teaser after ...

Some Quick Replies!

Fabian93: Thank you very much! :) Hope you are not mad at me that I let you wait a bit more ...  &mmm

sithlrd98: I always appreciate old friend popping up again from RL, Jason!  ()stsfd()  :)

calibanX: Thank you very much! :) Again I apologize for making you wait a bi more ...

Tomas Neto: Thank you very much! :) I just wish I could do mosaics like you did in your MD ...

alj: They definately do even though they make some problems with the underlying texture and are hard to handle in hilly areas. Thanks for commenting! :)

Engorn: Thank you very much! :)

Battlecat: Some other criticized me for that squared village but hey, it's something different. ;) I like to do such indastrial spots next to railways; I'll explain in the upcoming update why.  ;)

art128: Thank you very much. You know, in my childhood I saw quite some rural railway lines when my father chased the last steam engines in West Germany - something like that shaped me for the rest of my life ...  ;D

kwakelaar: Oh yes, I do love the RRP. Together with the Mayor Mode trees it made me change from lotbased to a more natural, less squared way of building.  :satisfied:
You saw right there are quite some river dykes not only on this map. I just have the problöem that the terraforming was easy but everything else didnt satisfy me untill now .... &mmm

bat: Thanks you very much! :)

And to fill up again the dry text (and to TEAse you a bit more ...  ;)  :D) I have two teaser pictures for you:

Well, I forgot that corner between the field and the STR. My friend odie at the simforum complained about this  &mmm ... anyway it looks way better now!  :)

Another closeup of the pre entry signal.

Have fun!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

rooker1

Happy New Year Bernhard,

I hope you, your wife and your Little One had a great time over the holidays and that your year is off to a fantastic start.
You know Bernhard....every time I come to your MD and check out your pictures, I can't help but think there is something wrong.  But there really isn't.  I just don't get how you can take such great pictures every time. ;) You are one of the Rural Kings in my book!

Robin  &apls
Call me Robin, please.

WC_EEND

Happy Ban New year Bernhard, and we see yet another teaser of your awsomeness concerning building rural landscapes and realistic railway layouts.

And ofcourse for old time's sake: %ban%

cheers

your fellow MetEENDo69 entity member
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

bat

Great two pictures of the STR there! :thumbsup: Looking forward to more... ;)

Battlecat

It's funny you know, I've seen a few real world towns that have an almost perfectly square urban areas exactly like that.  They're pretty rare though. 

Nice job touching up that STR curve, and with the signals! 

Yan077

these teasers are really great, and very good use of the STR !  &apls

Tomas Neto

These two teaser are awesome!!! Fantastic!!!  &apls

art128

All the signals there looks like they're well thought, nice work my friend! It's always good to see some railways after a long school day !  ;D

-Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kwakelaar

Nice teaser, and the combination of paths, fields and forests are very well done.

Nardo69

Over at the German Simforum Picture Competition I had a discussion wether close ups or overviews are more demandinf. During the discussion I promised to show the surrounding map of this picture:

after it is out of the Competition. It lost in the 4th round (HoF there needs 5 rounds, the picture has been in the SC4Devotion Picture Competition, too but failed in the first round) so to keep my word I'll show you a

Construction Site Report

Sorry for not answering your posts now but it is late here - 01:00 am. I'll do this as soon as possible.

As I explained this is a construction site report and not a regular update. Because of this there are tons of empty spaces as well as lots of unfinished places on this medium map which is now used not more than 20% total. Untill you'll see a full blwon update a lot f problems of all kinds have to be solved here ...  &mmm

And I am slow. Why? Well, some love Zoomlevel 2 or 3, my favourite one is Zoomlevel 5. I just love all these small details in all the Bats and props and textures and ... the things I have to plan and layout and plop by myself. Maybe this is the reason why I still do Sc4 as my hobby...  :satisfied:

The left lower corner of the map. The spot of the competition picture is marked with a yellow rectangular.

Someday this is going to be a bigger village. The railway lines makes it way in a 180 degree curve around the village in order to gain height. Exceptz for the railway station and some level crossings the railway lines goes up all over the map.

A view in the direction of the other lower corner of the map. I started building the map from there. These overviews are fresh, I made them during my last SC4 session!

Some where further down in the lower right corner of the map you can find this small seddlement where two creeks come together.

And - because I love closeups:  ;D

Pinewood, high voltage line and edge of the wood. I am far away from being satisfied here - the pinewood doesn't stand Nardos Naggin' ...  ::)

A closeup to the road at the left corner of CS2.04. Its not that easy to integrate FAR pieces adequatels in RRP and MM tree forrests but for now that's halway acceptable ...

I am neither a BATter nor a texture heroe but if the "delivered" textures don't fit then they are made to fit ...
There's some finetuning necessary here, too, but overall, well,  could've been worse ...

That's for now - Answers & replies tomorrow, the next regular update soon here.

Have fun!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

jmyers2043

Hello Bernhard

I like the last picture. The old shed nestled against the trees in the upper right corner caught my eye and makes the scene special.

Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

Nardo69

Some late Answers & Replies:

rooker1: Thanks my friend, and best wishes for you and your family for 2010, too. :)
And my pics, well, you know there's a major drawback of being Nardo69: Nardo69 is always looking and nagging at what you are doing ... ::) :D

WC_EEND: Thanks my friend! :)
And of course: WC_EEND is banned for being a fellow MetEENDo69 member: %ban%

bat: Thanks man! I put some unfnished works in betwen; hope you like them, too!

Battlecat: Yes, it's not a common layout but IMO it just fit there. About the signals, I'll tell you a secret: keep an eye on my sig ... ;) but sshhh ...!

Yan077: Thanks for the compliment! :)

Tomas Neto: Thanks for the compliment! :)

art128: Hehe, well, that IS a good way of relaxing! ;)

kwakelaar: Thanks for the compliment Gjermund. Hope you like my pictures in the making, too!

Nardo69: :p

jmyers2043 Thanks Jim. Scenes like these are popping out of me while doing the finetuning. Somewhere I saw such a scene and while painting RRP I thought try the shed. It came out a bit different than I thought because of the slope there but the result was fine anyway.

Fabian93

Fantastic Update  &apls &apls
I really like what I've seen so far from your new tile, even though it's not finished yet :thumbsup:.
The village looks really nice so far, I'm looking forward to see it finished ;)
Your little forests always turn out great and they're still very inspiring.

There's one thing I've got to criticize though... I personally think that the field in the last picture is way too steep... yet I love the last picture because of its detail &apls

Fabian ;)

bat

Some nice pictures of your region! It looks really great!
:thumbsup:

TheTeaCat

Quote from: Nardo69 on January 25, 2010, 03:14:00 PM
I had a discussion whether close ups or overviews are more demanding

Personally I think its the close ups :D :D
well slight imperfections can be hidden at a distance the trick is getting it right in close
and you are a master of that Bernhard :thumbsup:

Love the way the RR winds about the village and it is barely noticeable, the change in gradient along it.
A Testament to your skills &apls

Your rivers and creeks are improving all the time, another nice example showed here.

A little suggestion to make them even more convincing is the "paint" the RRP rye green and brown grass into the water too ( gently does it with the brush but the effects can be ..... try it and see ) which can gives the suggestion of small reeds etc

A lovely little update even though it wasn't really one  ::) :D

Till the next time

Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Battlecat

Well that's certainly a nice looking batch of detailed shots there!  I like your use of the RRP bits to blend the field edges and your waterway through this town also looks great. 

Tomas Neto

Bernhard... Wow!!! Amazing how you transport us to a rural place so real!!! Awesome update my friend!!!  &apls &apls &apls