• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Boxes keep showing up!

Started by Publius, February 20, 2017, 10:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publius

I had a system crash at Christmas and have been slowly reinstalling files. I'm FINALLY getting to reinstall my SC4 files.

I keep getting the dreaded boxes, despite the fact that I have downloaded every file I can from the Boxes? section in here. I took a screen shot in hopes that maybe someone can tell me what I have neglected to do.

Shoot! The screen shot won't paste. Here are the first three Plug In Pack numbers it shows missing:
PlugIn Pack 1372154730
PlugIn Pack 736382342
PlugIn Pack 1871687276

Among other things, there are buildings and bus stops that are showing up as boxes.

Handyman

A little more info would be helpful, ie:
  - What operating system are you using?
  - Do you install from discs or digital download?
  - At what point in the install did it begin?
  - Are you using any addons or plugins?
And, of course any screen printouts, from error messages.

mgb204

I think by boxes, they mean to say the Brown Boxes which depict missing dependencies.

The simplest solution to your problem is to look at the content with them, then check the documentation/download page for which dependencies they require and ensure they are installed.

Brown Boxes = Missing dependencies, always, there is no other reason you'll see them.

Handyman

QuoteBrown Boxes = Missing dependencies, always, there is no other reason you'll see them.

I must respectfully disagree. At least on Linux, it can be caused by a corrupted SC4D install file.
I know your a windows user so you would have no reason to know about this.
When you install in Wine it is best to work with a copy of Disc 1 on your Desktop. I recently went through a series of test installs / reinstalls, on various partitions, and at one point was getting Brown Boxes with just vanilla SC4D, no NAM, no addons or plugins of any kind. I couldn't find any references to this anywhere, so I began testing various scenarios on my own. I suspect the file got corrupted when I was copying it all over the place. Now I make a fresh copy for each partition.

Publius

Handyman, it's definitely not an install problem. I double-checked that. All of the cities show up, but it is the add-ons that are creating the problem. (Also, I can't post a screen shot...I tired!)

mgb204, I know that it has to be missing dependencies, but I have downloaded all of the files that are supposed to prevent those. That is why I was hoping that posting the numbers would point me to dependency files that exist somewhere else.

Tarkus

Unfortunately, those Plugin Pack numbers you'll see in such errors are basically useless in tracking down missing dependencies.  They're decimal conversions of the hexadecimal IDs of some sort--it was once believed that they were based off the Instance ID (IID) of the related building exemplar, but there's evidence out there that debunks that

You would have better luck querying the brown box, which should at least point you to the name of the lot that contains it, and you could narrow your search from there.

If you have indeed downloaded everything off the "Boxes?" list, it's possible it's something newer than what's on there.  That list has not been updated in over 7 years.

-Alex

Publius

Thank you, Tarkus. At least now I know one path NOT to pursue.

mgb204

Quote from: Publius on February 20, 2017, 05:27:36 PM
mgb204, I know that it has to be missing dependencies, but I have downloaded all of the files that are supposed to prevent those.

It sounds to me like you think there is some sort of master list for this? There isn't. Sure a list of the most common files may exist, but that doesn't necessarily cover everything.

Every individual download will list the dependency files it needs to work and display as intended. If you don't read them or stop at that point and install the specific files you need, you are going to run into big trouble.

I know it's frustrating to have to re-make a plugins folder under the circumstances. But rushing the task without due care will only make things harder.

Lastly, learn a lesson from this, when you have things restored, keep a backup in future. That way, if something goes wrong, you don't have to start over again.

threestooges

The boxes themselves are the game's way of showing that the model file for the "building" model of lot itself is missing. You can be missing props too, but those simply wouldn't display and you would be left with a sparse looking lot.

The best was to approach it, as Tarkus indicated, is to query the lot information in game, and then check the readme of the indicated file to ensure all of its listed dependencies are there. The other quicker, but potentially sloppier trick, is just to redownload the lot and put it back in your plugins folder fresh with all the listed dependencies (sloppy because there may be double instances of things).

Hard drive crashes are a pain in the butt. I've been there before, but you'll get there again. Good luck.
-Matt