• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Paroch's Lot Editor Attempts

Started by paroch, January 01, 2008, 02:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paroch

Thanks for all your feedback.....

xxdita - thanks for the offer of help.  I am sure I'll take it up.  I have read SimGoober's tutorial, so will have another look and see what I can do re the jobs.  Will I need ILives Reader?  I can never install it.  I have Lot Editor, Plug In Manager, LEProp and SC4Tool installed and working.

Casper - I'm not sure about the BSC Park textures - just because I didn't intend these lots to be part of a park.  If there is demand I can always come back to that later.

Barby - Thanks for the point to the lamps.  I'm sure you will help me improve as this one develops.

Joan - Thanks for the encouragement.  One of the reasons I'd like to release these is to see how different people use them in different situations.

FrankU - Thanks for the hint re menu order.  My only problem is that I can never install Reader.  I have vista on my PC - not sure if there's some sonflict there.  If anyone else has a suggestion re menu order please let me know.

My MD desperately needs an update, so that's my number 1 priority, then I'll get cracking on these lots and keep you posted on developments.  I suspect that there will be very few changes to the look of the lots, but I know that there is a lot of work to happen behind the scenes to make them acceptable.

CasperVg

QuoteThanks for the hint re menu order.  My only problem is that I can never install Reader.  I have vista on my PC - not sure if there's some sonflict there.  If anyone else has a suggestion re menu order please let me know.
Odd, I have Vista and the Reader runs real smoothly. You don't really have to install the reader, if you unpack the file, you should see an icon (skyscrapers with binaire code), if you click on that it should load up.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

GrizzlyBuilder

I might segest using this as a springboard for a modular market.  You could expand on this and make it possible to have a market district like what is found in many major cities.  Although I think the sandstone texture on Kwakelaar's original market hall.  It also looks kind-of crowed, are markets always like that?

paroch

Casper - thanks for the advice, I've got Reader up and running now.  It's a bit confusing at the moment, but i'm sure I'll progress with it.

Grizzly - thanks for your interest.  I'm sure I'll be able to add more lots as I go.  My main aim at present is to get the existing lots up and running and then if demand is there I can look to expand it.  As for the base texture..... I guess it's a matter of opinion as to which looks best.  Once done it would be very easy to change the base textures.  And you ask about it looking crowded.  Yes, the markets I am thinking of are always crowded, with he stalls close together and lots of people all over the place.

Update........
Well, Barby, you were right about the lamp posts, so I've changed them.

I'm now struglling to work out exactly how to add jobs to the lots.  I found SimGoobers tutorial, but it talks about copying the fields from an existing lot.  I am trying to decide how many jobs to apply (thinking of 15 for the 2x2 squares and 6 for the 1x1 squares).  But I cannot understand how to get them into the lot using Reader - I'm not sure which field and how to express the numbers anyway.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Is this something I can use SC4 Tool for??

Thanks in advance.

xxdita

Hmm... since you've made these as landmarks, I can create functional plopables in a jif, with jobs already added in. I'm thinking CS$? So all you'd have to do is send them to me. My email and other contact info is listed (AOL, Yahoo, MSN).
As for zipping the files up, try right clicking on a file in Windows Explorer and see if you have an option like "Add to Zip" or "Add to Archive" or something similar. If so, then you can select multiple files and put them all in one zip file, compressed, and ready to send. If not, then you can download WinZip or WinRAR at downloads.com. Another option would be to send multiple files via email, as this usually puts them all in one zip file for you. But as long as you have the ability to unzip files, you should be able to zip them as well.

paroch

xxdita,

That is very kind of you - thanks.  I've zipped 'em up follwing your advice and emailed them to you.

I'd be intereted to hear how you add the jobs, as I'm always keen to learn!

If you spot anything else in them that you think is a bit screwy just let me know.

Thanks again,

Paul

EDIT:
OK, here is a pic of the lots with the new lamp posts to match the Centre Pole Med Malls (thanks Barby for the pointing)!

You can see the ped mall in the middle of the market lots to show how they can work together.

But one problem I've noticed is that three of the 2x2 Lots have the BSC Parks custom querey whereas the others have the standard Landmark querey.  Maybe I created those three lots from a park instead of a landmark?!?

Do you think I need to go back and recreate the three with the park querey (not a massive problem), or is there a way of changing the querey.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it's amazing how many little bits there are to learn about when you try to make a "proper" lot!

xxdita

I'll see what I can do with the lots as they are, but it may be necessary to redo the parks, and I'll try to walk you through the changes I make via email once I get them finished. Of course, I will be cheating just a little  ;D. I'll have a look at them today, and get them finished up quick as I can.

CasperVg

These lots look great, altrough I'm not a fan of the white paved NAM malls, nor from the lamppost on top of it. I really like the lots because they look very lively and look very modular. Great job again!
From my experience, the query-window depends on the building used, and is changeable via the Reader. I would explain how to do it, but I haven't got the time to do so. Having a look at Daeley's query editing tutorial (availiable at the LEX (Documentation), could explain how to do it.

Greetings, Casper
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

FrankU

Yes they match very good!
I myself never use the ped mall, just because I always forget they exist. There is so mucht to do in SC4, I can't do everything.
But the fact that your markets go together with them is really a good thing.
One of the sometimes bothering things in all the lots and bats in SC4 is that they often don't mix right. But I know I will have to live with that.
And they are beauties, but I have said that before.

paroch

Just to keep you all updated - xxdita has been helping me with these and I need to go back to square one as the initial set up of the lots mean that they are just not right - some are parks, some landmarks, strange dependencies are showing up.  There are too many things wrong, so I'll start again.

It shouldn't be too big a deal to recreate them, so keep watching and I'll keep you posted of progress.

Once I get these underway I'm thinking of starting on the various football fields that I've created.  I know that they have too many dependencies at the moment, so I'll start them from scratch but keep them as true to the originals as possible (unless you have any suggestions of course).

Jmouse

Hi Paul,
I think you're very close to success, so keep moving forward. You have only a few details left to address.
As for the football (soccer) fields, I believe many are way out of proportion to other in-game elements -- much too large in many cases. Recently I found myself asking how big an American football field should be compared to a large high school or a college administration building.
I don't have an answer yet, but I think I know where I can find one.
Anyway, my suggestion would be to consider proportions and how the field or stadium will likely be used.
And I, too, am interested in learning the underlying details of LEing like adding jobs, queries, etc. If you or anyone else knows of some good tutorials, I'd love to hear about them.

Until next time...
Joan

paroch

The tutorials I have used are:

Over on the STEX there is an article in the Omnibus by SimGoober:
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=140&threadid=76236&enterthread=y
This is useful but some of it is still over my head!

And Barby's one here is useful as well:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=276.0

And ThreeStooges one here is good as well:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2585.0

Other than that, I've discovered bits and pieces but can't recall exactly where ()what()

And as for the soccer pitches....... they fit on a 5x3 area which is 80m x 48m.  Dimensions for a soccer pitch are length between 90m and 120m and width between 45m and 90m.  The variance surprised me too and would suggest that the soccer fields are a little on the small side.  I can't comment on American Football fields, of course!
???

EDIT:  10th Feb:

OK, spent some time re-doing the Market Lots.  Hopefully started from a good base this time.  The lots are very similar as to before with some minor amendments.  The pack now has 13 lots.
6 2x2 lots
6 1x1 lots
1 3x3 lot, which house the market hall.

Here's two in-game shots from my Test City:

Zoom out:

Zoom in:

Dita is helping me with some final fine tuning that is just beyond me.  Watch this space and I'll keep you posted.

FrankU

What the heck if my menus will overflow if I have lots like these in there!  :thumbsup:

xxdita

I actually think they look even better than before! I'll keep an eye on my email.
Great job Paul!

Jmouse

The lots are great, Paul. The whole complex looks like a busy beehive, and that's exactly the way it should be. Congratulations on creating a unique and versatile set of lots players can configure in so many different ways! :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan

paroch

FrankU - hehehe - overflowing menus??? How could such a thing happen ;)  Glad you like them

xxdita - I've forwarded them to you via email - any help is appreciated, thanks.

Jmouse - a busy beehive eh?  The beauty of the Maxis people props is that they seem to be timed, so during the day they're busy, later on they're quiet - best of both worlds.  When (if) they get released it will be interesting to see how different people use them.

threestooges

Paul (if I may), I'm glad you found my little tutorial useful (and that you gave it a little plug: whoo hoo. Hopefully this will get more people into the LE thing). You've done a better job than anything I have done yet. It's funny that I made a tutorial about using the LE when I really haven't made much that looks good. However, I am glad to see that you have put it to (very) good use. I for one certainly look forward to putting these to good use (and I think I have the perfect place for them). Great work.
-Matt (threestooges)

Pat

Paul I cant belive I missed this thread, gezzs Im slow in keeping up on new and upcoming lotters....  You have a wonderful set here and with Nate helping you sure do have a great ace in the hole  ;)  I think if you havent yet go for Canidenecy thread  :)  Will be watching out for ya's.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie