• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Toohey's LE Journey (or Dave-alots :-)

Started by tooheys, March 02, 2008, 12:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooheys

Ok, well a few people have been suggesting I start a thread showing my work with the LE.

Now I must warn you, I have been playing this game for years but have only recently even considered playing with the LE.
So I have started out rather simply and below are my first attempts. At this stage, I'm just putting together lots I would like
to see in Balnavia, although at least one brave soul has a Dave-alot (bad name I know, but I like it  $%Grinno$%) or two in his MD.

Well I said I was starting simply. Those familiar with my MD would know I like to plop a tennis court or two. But a fence was needed,
Balnavian's were getting more exercise from chasing stray balls than actually playing the game. Have always liked Peg's fence and I
have put it to good use.

A larger complex I am still playing around with.

These lots are for use around sunken roads, rail etc. I have a set with trees as well but for some strange reason the trees only
appear when you plop East to West, North to South they just don't show. Go figure.

So there we go, my first attempts with the LE. I've just started on a long learning curve, and any advice, feedback, constructive
criticism is more than welcome.

Dave

paroch

Dave,

I'm glad you've started a LE thread - a chance for you to show the SC4D community what you're doing.

And I think that what you've done so far is VERY good.  Simple, as you say, but none the less, the lots are well thought out and it's easy to see that they'll be very useful as they're built on a modular approach.

The gazebo with the tennis courts is one of those that is so obvious, you wonder why you didn't do it yourself!!  My only comment would be that on the one with the brown path, the entrance lines up with the path.  It doesn't on the other paths.  Just swing it through90 degrees in LE and they will be PERFECT.  And the modular bits with parking look very good indeed.

Same as the park paths - nicely done, simple, not overdone, and bery useful.  The fact they can be used to edge against sunken roads is an extra bonus!

So, you already know I like what you've done here, as do my West Enders - the tennis courts I'd lotted had lower fences, so any high bouncers and they were running to collect the balls.

I look forward to seeing what the next Dave alots are. $%Grinno$%

xxdita

Keeping it simple is always the best way to start  :thumbsup:
I especially like the tennis courts, but the park paths will be very useful as well.
Very nicely done.

JoeST

Looking swish here, will be keeping an eye on this thread... cant wait

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

tooheys

Thanks for the support, especially Paul for including some of the tennis courts in his MD  :thumbsup:.

Here is one I am working on at the moment.

I guess it's just a storage yard, to fill a few tiles. I've used Peg's recently released security fences. You might notice I have a bit of trouble getting these straight, but I'm working on it. The problem with this one I guess, is that in RL, how would you get the containers out of there. I plan to do a
few of these with more of the pallets and crates, and perhaps some trailers. Also need to get a gate or barrier across the entrance.

paroch

Hey Dave, you've done it again.  A blindingly obvious Lot that no-one has thought of before!!  Isn't hindsight a killer $%Grinno$%

Maybe the gateway building at the entrance could be a bit higher or wider?

As for getting those containers out, have a look at JES Mega Prop Pack 06 here:

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1416

It has a "straddle crane" in it.  Only trouble is they are designed to work when the containers are in single lines with gaps between them.  But that is a very nice looking lot there.

TheTeaCat

wow what a great start &apls

The tennis courts look great, just a suggestion how about some benches along the courts? or a thin flower bed?
very good though as are the park paths :thumbsup: I can see them been very useful :D :D

The container lot looks great too but how did they manage to stack them 3 high? there is no equipment to do that or even unload. $%Grinno$%
if you moved the office to the back of the site, access wouldn't been a prob but a lot like that would be better
suited to crates and boxes as you say. Been such a small lot an 'Ar-Tic' would have big probs maneuvering.

The placement of the containers on the grass looks perfect and you barely notice the glitch in the fence,
well at least till you pointed it out :D.

I can only see you improving if this is the beginning you've made :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Jmouse

So glad to see you've taken the plunge, Dave. I'm a fan of all your tennis courts, too, and those lots lining the sunken avenue look great in Balnavia.

I really like the storage lot but have to agree with TTC -- you need some heavy equipment there. Also I like the way you've stacked the containers unevenly. Don't know if that was on purpose or if it's the way the props are made. Somebody showed a really jam-up salvage yard in his MD not long ago and I appreciated the variety of props and the way they were laid out. Later if you want to tackle something a bit larger, maybe you could add some wooden pallets and stuff like that. Something covered up with a tarp would be great, too - makes me wish I know how to create props!

Anyway, congratulations on making it official! :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan (JmS)

dragonshardz

Hey dave Peg's fences have gate-pieces.

tooheys

Thanks everyone. Given the feedback I've decided to dispense with the containers on such a small lot, I agree that there
just isn't enough room for the necessary machinery so will work on something a bit larger. However I have varied the above
lot a little so it now stores pallets etc which are a little easier to handle on a small lot.

You all came up with similar suggestions. You can see I have widened the entrance and it now has a gate,
and the office has been moved to the side. Access around the lot is better and hopefully that forklift can handle the work.

Paul thanks for the link, that will come in handy. Joan, the irregular stacking, Dave laziness, but they do look OK don't they  :D

TTC, 3 high containers, well a helicopter of course $%Grinno$%. Paul, Joan & TTC, all has been noted in this noggin of mine and
hopefully will make itself shown when I work on a new container lot.

dragonshardtz, thanks. I had the gates but they don't work near a corner. But have overcome this by moving the gate towards the middle of the streetfront.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Dave

Diggis

Now thats a great looking lot Dave.  Industiral?  Grow or Plop?

tooheys

Thanks Diggis, well it's definitely a plop, cause I've got no idea how to make it growable or to make it industrial with jobs. Thats
another lesson or two I need to learn.

When I say I'm a novice at this, I'm telling the truth :D

Shadow Assassin

You can still have a few big shipping containers, because quite a few storage yards might have one or two as a permanent fixture where equipment might be stored.

I know my grandparents' storage yard has a couple of shipping containers on the property - one containing old furniture, the other containing equipment that can't be kept out in the air, but are too big to keep inside their shed.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Jmouse

Oh yes, Dave, that's much better! :thumbsup: You have enough variety to make it interesting and there are even a few touches of color. It's amazing what a little bit of rearranging can do. I like the wider access, too, and if that's a chain hoist I see (or whatever it is!), good choice!

Overall, I'm not much help with things like this because I know when something doesn't look quite right, but I don't know how to fix it. That drawback kind of limits "constructive" criticism but at least a comment might fire up a helpful idea or two from someone else. ;)

Which lot did you use as a base, BTW? All of mine were on the pz 1x1 grass lot (not sure if that's the exact name). But I always thought if you use an industrial lot with jobs as a base, you'll end up with whatever attributes the original lot had. Maybe someone with more experience would explain how that part of the process works.

Until next time...
Jm

P.S. OK, you win! I'm too easy, but I'll try and take care of that little task today!

paroch

Oh, yes that's great work there Dave - a nice re-lot.  If anything, you could say it's a bit too well organised, but that's being ultra picky ;)

As for Joan's comments about which lot you are using as the "base", using the "pz 1x1" was how I started too.  Ok if you don't mind the querey window showing the lot to be a park.  If you want to be a bit more "proper" then you'll either need to find a suitable building, or use the "BLaM Blank" lot.  If you search on stex for BLam Blank you'll find it.  You then drag that into the appropriate building type in PlugInManager.

Simgoober's tutorial on STEX on how to make a functional landmark lot is worth a look - I'd say it's essential as it teaches you how the nuts and bolts work behind the scenes.  Can't say I understand it all, or that I've got it all to work, but it did help.  Here's the link:
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=140&threadid=76236&enterthread=y

You're coming on leaps and bounds, in fact I'd say you've already overtaken me (not that I ever doubted you would). :thumbsup:

Paul

TheTeaCat

Now thats what I call a re-lot and for the better?
OH Yes indeed :thumbsup:

here's me been ultra picky ::) How about moving the skip to the side of the building? easier for the office staff to dispose of stuff instead of having to cross a muddy path (muddy path? - how can it be muddy if it never rains in sc4?)
Also more storage space for bulkier objects ;)

I would say it is not "a bit too well organised" . Been such a small lot without much maneuvering room and as a forklift driver I'd want stuff in nice neat rows ( easier to move and load if its tidy, less chance of damaging goods) so I'd say you got that spot on :thumbsup:

All in all a great improvement, won't be long before you truly amaze us all with something that we'll all be saying "now why didn't I think of that"  :D :D

Regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

RebaLynnTS

Toohey's: Nice work. In case you have not seen them yet, I am working on a line of fence props. They will all have timed vehicle gates. If interested, I can also make pedestrian gates that open and close. I am also willing to make custom pieces, if you need something I have not done yet.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

threestooges

Splendid work with the lot work. It has a good industrial look and yet it's very clean and orgainized. If you have yet started LEX uploads and are willing to share, I could use a small storage lot like that (subtle hint?) but really, great work and I'll keep an eye out for further developments.

SimNation

toohey

Can you release those modular pieces you made for that avenue tunnel in a non LEX download? Id love to get my hands on them now so that I can use them.

Thanks

SimNation

Pat

Dave you are on fire here and Im surprised you didnt PM with the start  :'(  Immm sad.... But now I am glad I have found you out hehehehe  :D Sir you are excellent and you are doing a wonderful job here and I want Dave Alots in my MD tooo!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie