• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terraformer no longer working - Please help

Started by PaPa-J, June 16, 2018, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaPa-J

I recently had to redo my system and reinstall Windows 10.  I am currently running -

Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1803
OS Build 17134.112

I had SC4Terraformer working before I reinstalled everything but it is no longer working.

I have installed DirectX 9.0c as per the Readme and I have placed all the .dll files in my C:\Windows\system32 folder including MSVCP71.dll.  I have tried running in compatibility mode for Windows XP, still doesn't work.

When I run the program it tells me that errors occurred and to look in the SC4Terraformer log file.  This is what that log file shows -

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "SC4Terraformer.py", line 4, in ?
      File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 78, in load_module
      File "SC4TerraformerApp.pyo", line 3, in ?
      File "zipextimporter.pyo", line 91, in load_module
    ImportError: MemoryLoadLibrary failed loading tools3D.pyd

I also tried to re-download the program just in case a file got corrupted but I still get the same error.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I got the program to work. I placed the msvcp71.dll file in the programs directory and everything worked. 

Thanks anyway everyone.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

APSMS

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

binnsbre

Hi

For me this application also worked but now when trying to open the application I get the attached error.

I have DirectX 12 installed. Should I revert back to direct X 9c. Should the directX 9c files not be part of the directx12 files.

I have tried compatibillity mode and placing the dll files in the windows/system32 folder

binnsbre

Hi

I resolved this by downloading the files from the following link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

After installing these files the Terraformer worked

mgb204

Quote from: binnsbre on August 24, 2018, 05:24:24 AM
Hi

For me this application also worked but now when trying to open the application I get the attached error.

I have DirectX 12 installed. Should I revert back to direct X 9c. Should the directX 9c files not be part of the directx12 files.

I have tried compatibillity mode and placing the dll files in the windows/system32 folder

OK, here is a common misunderstanding regarding DirectX. You can not revert back to DX 9c, you also don't need to. Every new version of DirectX contains all the legacy files needed to support older (legacy DirectX) versions. I.e. if you have a newer version, there is no need to install an older one.

Most likely the problem was you didn't have the necessary .dll files, or simply didn't have them installed in the right place. Adding them into the Windows/System32 folder is not some magical fix. The system must have links (in the registry) to set files for system-wide usage. Otherwise the application looking for them simply won't be able to locate them, even when present. The best advice is to place the .dlls inside the root folder of the application's install folder. That way it is 100% guaranteed that the application can find them upon startup.

Whilst I do realise installing DX 9.0c may have in effect installed the .dlls as system-wide, hence appearing to be a good solution to the problem. That ignores the fact that installing a duplicate version of DirectX, designed in 2002 for Windows XP systems, makes no sense when you are running Windows 10. The last thing you'd want is for those files to overwrite the Windows 10/DirectX 12 updated files, that could potentially end badly. It's safer to simply manually install those .dll files that are no longer part of DirectX.

PaPa-J

Quote from: mgb204 on August 24, 2018, 06:48:44 AM
OK, here is a common misunderstanding regarding DirectX. You can not revert back to DX 9c, you also don't need to. Every new version of DirectX contains all the legacy files needed to support older (legacy DirectX) versions. I.e. if you have a newer version, there is no need to install an older one.

Most likely the problem was you didn't have the necessary .dll files, or simply didn't have them installed in the right place. Adding them into the Windows/System32 folder is not some magical fix. The system must have links (in the registry) to set files for system-wide usage. Otherwise the application looking for them simply won't be able to locate them, even when present. The best advice is to place the .dlls inside the root folder of the application's install folder. That way it is 100% guaranteed that the application can find them upon startup.

Whilst I do realise installing DX 9.0c may have in effect installed the .dlls as system-wide, hence appearing to be a good solution to the problem. That ignores the fact that installing a duplicate version of DirectX, designed in 2002 for Windows XP systems, makes no sense when you are running Windows 10. The last thing you'd want is for those files to overwrite the Windows 10/DirectX 12 updated files, that could potentially end badly. It's safer to simply manually install those .dll files that are no longer part of DirectX.

OK, I recently installed a new SSD hard drive and I had to re-install all my SC4 Tools from scratch.  I installed the SC4 Terraformer and I could not get it to function.  I made sure I had all the .dll files and that they were in their proper folders and still nothing.  I tried installing some missing .dll files from Directx 9c and still nothing.  I finally just installed the whole Directx 9c program and success.  Can't figure out what I was doing wrong other than not having Directx 9c installed and functioning properly.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Nameer908

BROS I figured out how to make SC4 Terraformer work on Windows 10 or 8.

JUST COPY THE FOLLOWING STEPS AND U R GOOD TO GO ;D:

FIRST STEP:

Download SC4 Terraformer.

Link:  https://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=731

SECOND STEP:

Make a folder named SC4 Terraformer in your downloads folder or where ever you like. Then Copy the archive and paste it in your folder and then right-click on the archive and click extract here. After it's done follow the third step.

THIRD STEP:

Download msvcp71.dll from this link:

Link: https://www.dll-files.com/msvcp71.dll.html

FOURTH STEP:

Extract the zip and copy the msvcp71.dll then go into the folder in which you have extracted the sc4 terraformer and paste the msvcp71.dll in every folder of sc4 terraformer.

FIFTH STEP:

Download these files of Direct X

Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=8109

Then a prompt will be launched after u have lauched the installer file. It will ask where to save files. Save the files to your sc4 terraformer folder where u have downloaded and extracted sc4 Terraformer. After u have done that follow the sixth step.

SIXTH STEP:

After you have done these steps.

Go to the explorer's search bar and search this text:

Dec2005_d3dx9_28_x64 (if u r on 64 bit)

Dec2005_d3dx9_28_x86 (if u r on 32 bit)

After u have found the file right-click it and click extract here. After it's done find the sc4 terraformer application and lauch it and you are good to go.

HOPE THIS HELPS :)

AsimPika3172

I loves Sim City forever!

Sniffeh

Quote from: PaPa-J-J on June 16, 2018, 08:50:47 AMI recently had to redo my system and reinstall Windows 10.  I am currently running -

Windows 10 Pro
OS Build 17134.112

I had SC4Terraformer working before I reinstalled everything but it is no longer working.

I have installed DirectX 9.0c as per the Readme and I have placed all the .dll files in my C:\Windows\system32 folder including MSVCP71.dll.  I have tried running in compatibility mode for Windows XP, still doesn't work.

When I run the program it tells me that errors occurred and to look in the SC4Terraformer log file.  This is what that log file shows -

I also tried to re-download the program just in case a file got corrupted but I still get the same error.

EDIT: I got the program to work. I placed the msvcp71.dll file in the programs directory and everything worked. 

Thanks anyway everyone.

I am using Windows 10 64-bit, and I am unable to make it work. The splash screen appears, followed by a window asking me to choose a directory, after which nothing happens. It just idles in the background. Please describe in detail how you made yours work.

Sniffeh

Quote from:  Nameer908-J on June 16, 2018, 08:50:47 AMGo to the explorer's search bar and search this text:

Dec2005_d3dx9_28_x64 (if u r on 64 bit)

Dec2005_d3dx9_28_x86 (if u r on 32 bit)

After u have found the file right-click it and click extract here. After it's done find the sc4 terraformer application and lauch it and you are good to go.

HOPE THIS HELPS :)

What do you mean by "extract here"? Extract where? In the folder I found it or the Terraformer folder?

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: Sniffeh on February 26, 2023, 11:51:23 AM
Quote from: PaPa-J-J on June 16, 2018, 08:50:47 AMI recently had to redo my system and reinstall Windows 10.  I am currently running -

Windows 10 Pro
OS Build 17134.112

Thanks anyway everyone.

I am using Windows 10 64-bit, and I am unable to make it work. The splash screen appears, followed by a window asking me to choose a directory, after which nothing happens. It just idles in the background. Please describe in detail how you made yours work.

If you are opening a large region you need to apply the 4GB Patch