• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 02, 2012, 09:46:36 PM
something similar that JD had in development.

Has in development, I'm still working on it, though it'll have no diags because I can't model them.

There's a long stretch of it on the right hand side of this pic:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/957262753621691604/BD95C4BC933EDA55AA0FA295D494A670E7825A2E/

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jondor

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on July 02, 2012, 09:46:36 PM
@Jon: For the 6C barriers, T21s or a part of the models?

T21s like the ortho ones are.  I'll figure something out, either purpose built sections or a set of single barriers at various angles.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: jondor on July 02, 2012, 09:19:52 PM
There is not going to be a separate dedicated RHW-4C.

*cough* I've got some 4C textures kicking around, though it'll be puzzle-piece only and intended for short segments only.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

jondor

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 02, 2012, 10:34:22 PM
Quote from: jondor on July 02, 2012, 09:19:52 PM
There is not going to be a separate dedicated RHW-4C.

*cough* I've got some 4C textures kicking around, though it'll be puzzle-piece only and intended for short segments only.

Allow me to clarify: There is not going to be a dedicated, fully overridden draggable 4C intended for use as a complete network.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jondor on July 02, 2012, 10:51:01 PM
[There is not going to be a dedicated, fully overridden draggable 4C intended for use as a complete network.

Ahem,...

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 02, 2012, 10:34:22 PM
I've got some 4C textures kicking around, though it'll be puzzle-piece only and intended for short segments only.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Jayster

What program do you guys use to model the elevated RHW components? I'm interested in teaching myself some modeling to help out but I need to know which program to use to prevent complications.

Also, if I could get my hands on some already existing models, that would be great! Thanks for your time!

Jayster

jdenm8

We either make them in gmax or 3dsmax (Basically the same way as a BAT, though there are tight restrictions about the Polygon Count) or do them the hard way in Reader.

As for existing models, open up the RHW-4 DAT in Reader and the models are right there. You just need to export them as 3DS files, which isn't hard.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Jayster

Quote from: jdenm8 on July 03, 2012, 12:36:23 AMWe either make them in gmax or 3dsmax (Basically the same way as a BAT, though there are tight restrictions about the Polygon Count) or do them the hard way in Reader.

Perfect, I already have 3dsmax from work.

QuoteAs for existing models, open up the RHW-4 DAT in Reader and the models are right there. You just need to export them as 3DS files, which isn't hard.

Doesn't sound too difficult. Thanks for the insight!

Jayster

Shadow Assassin

Indeed, it's not difficult at all!

Open the .dat, select the S3D, click on 3DS Functions in the right pane, click "Export As 3DS".

Open 3dsmax, go to Import, select the 3DS file you just exported, and it should then ask you if you want to convert the units (make sure it's unchecked) and whether to merge it into the scene. Select "new scene", it'll make sure there's less trouble that way. Note that it will appear rotated 90 degrees on the Y axis, this is how it should be imported back into the game if you do change it.

Note that UV maps on new objects created within the scene need to be created as well, otherwise it'll appear like blagh in SC4.

Once you've done the modifications to the model, export it as 3ds once again (making sure that UV coordinates of textures are preserved, this is important!).

Go back to Reader, click on 3DS Functions again, and Import this time. You'll have to reassign materials this time, but that's not difficult, all you have to do is make sure you're in the Anim tab, and change the "mat block" IDs to the ones they correspond to. Apply the changes, and boom, you have a 3d model in-game.

That's pretty much it, haha.
New Horizons Productions

gn_leugim

jondor

I personally use Blender when I'm making a 3D model for export (same concept, different software), but I've actually been doing these revamps on the Diagonals and Ortho-Diag transitions by hand using the Reader, Excel and lots of trigonometry.

I haven't been able to find a clean, easy to use way in Blender to split a full model into the 16m2 chunks SC4 requires, but it was instrumental in creating the animation frames for my RR crossing props.

art128

Quote from: gn_leugim on July 02, 2012, 02:44:00 AM
Nice work Riiga, I have dled your tool both already, and using :)  &apls

EDIT:

Inspired by Ponte Vasco Da gama? ;)

Bom trabalho, meu amigo!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tarkus

And for those curious as to how development is progressing, I've just passed Alpha Build 03 onto the Team and Associates.  Still a long way to go, but the gears are turning again.

-Alex

GDO29Anagram

One of these days, I gotta figure out the exact process on how this modelling business goes down; All I can manipulate are the four corners of a square S3D... :-[

I have two blenders, for the record; The one for drinks and the one for modelling, both of which I don't know how to operate...

Feel like I'm better off Inkscaping and Paint.NETing my way out of a jam...

Still have some PPs in the works (not to mention my HD S3D-based texture set)...
<INACTIVE>
-----

gn_leugim

Nice to ear Tarkus :)

And yes Art, it is based on Vasco da Gama bridge. unfortunately it can't be fully replicated in SC4 as it's height is not constant and it is curved, which are 2 features we can't do in SC4. anyway I used it's architectural features :) Obrigado
:)

and Anagram, about the Blender for modelling I don't know the program, only used it once, but the other blender, bring it on, let's make some shakes :p XD

Shadow Assassin

QuoteAnd yes Art, it is based on Vasco da Gama bridge. unfortunately it can't be fully replicated in SC4 as it's height is not constant and it is curved, which are 2 features we can't do in SC4.

Actually, you can do height changes on bridges in SC4, it just means added complexity in the Bridge RULs.
New Horizons Productions

Jayster

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on July 03, 2012, 12:52:25 AMIndeed, it's not difficult at all!

Open the .dat, select the S3D, click on 3DS Functions in the right pane, click "Export As 3DS".

Open 3dsmax, go to Import, select the 3DS file you just exported, and it should then ask you if you want to convert the units (make sure it's unchecked) and whether to merge it into the scene. Select "new scene", it'll make sure there's less trouble that way. Note that it will appear rotated 90 degrees on the Y axis, this is how it should be imported back into the game if you do change it.

Note that UV maps on new objects created within the scene need to be created as well, otherwise it'll appear like blagh in SC4.

Once you've done the modifications to the model, export it as 3ds once again (making sure that UV coordinates of textures are preserved, this is important!).

Go back to Reader, click on 3DS Functions again, and Import this time. You'll have to reassign materials this time, but that's not difficult, all you have to do is make sure you're in the Anim tab, and change the "mat block" IDs to the ones they correspond to. Apply the changes, and boom, you have a 3d model in-game.

That's pretty much it, haha.

Hah! Yes, you make it sound easy but I'm sure I'm going to have a multitude of problems but I'm still interested in trying!

Jayster

noahclem

Twyla

Ran across a massively annoying glitch with one of the RHW ramps....

When using the RHW-6S Type E1 Entrance in the northbound orientation, the translucent preview appears one tile north of it's actual location.  Placement rules, etc all appear to be functioning normally - and it only seems to happen when using the piece as a northbound onramp.

To be more specific - placement rules affect the piece based upon where it will ACTUALLY be placed rather than where the preview indicates it will be placed.

On a separate note:  I also discovered that dragging roads to an RHW-6C produces a TLA-7!  Undocumented feature? :P

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Twyla on July 03, 2012, 03:50:03 PM
Ran across a massively annoying glitch with one of the RHW ramps....

When using the RHW-6S Type E1 Entrance in the northbound orientation, the translucent preview appears one tile north of it's actual location.  Placement rules, etc all appear to be functioning normally - and it only seems to happen when using the piece as a northbound onramp.

To be more specific - placement rules affect the piece based upon where it will ACTUALLY be placed rather than where the preview indicates it will be placed.

On a separate note:  I also discovered that dragging roads to an RHW-6C produces a TLA-7!  Undocumented feature? :P

Typically, when a puzzle piece's preview models are off-kilter like that, it would normally affect every rotation, not just one, simply because of how we RUL-0. First we make the most important part, the part with all the properties, checktypes, conslayout, and everything, then we use a "copyfrom" and "rotate" command to copy it over to the other rotations.

The only way the 6S E1 would act funny that way is if it were RULd inefficiently or if there was something else in your way.

Secondly, that's just some extra RUL-2 code that allows for a flawless starterless transition between RHW and NWM; Part of the Draggable Transitions feature found in the NWM.
<INACTIVE>
-----