• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BATs by DaveN

Started by DaveN, April 14, 2011, 06:30:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebussyMan

The distortion on the texture may be caused if you used the mirror tool. For mirroring in Gmax it's better to use the mirror modifier. About the disappearing textures, that's a common issue in gmax, I don't remember exactly why but I think it can be solved by reloading all textures before exporting.

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

jmyers2043

Quote from: DaveN on April 21, 2011, 02:48:05 PM
Below I present an existing problem and ask for help.

I guess you're talking about the rear view where the left wing has a roof texture that looks like it is running in two different directions?

I think what I'd do (if it were my bat) would be to islolate that roof section and hide all other building parts. From the top view trace the roof using the line tool. UV map the line. Dlete the unwanted roof. Apply your texture and it should be ok.

You might have to create a second texture and rotate 90 degrees to have the roof tiles going the correct directions but that's a function of your paint program - or use the UV map gizmo tool but making a second texture is easier (my opinion at leat) ...

Now for some critique... this is a nice looking bat with great geometry on the front facade. I don't know the scale but a good rule of thumb is to make the upper stories of buildings 5 meters high. Sometimes the ground floor can be taller as I've made ground floors 7.5 or 10 meters depending on the function of the building.

I'm also going to encourage you to find another roof texture like tar paper or gravel as the roof looks flat and/or not steeply sloped.   

Good Luck

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

harishna

Nice work, about the textures what Debussyman suggest works, but it is a painful task, what I discovered is that if you "clean" your texture list (making sure you only leave the ones you actually using makes a big difference. I would recommend you to move to 3ds Max if you can, you only need a .edu e-mail to get it for free.

DaveN

DebussyMan:
In the beginning was made by using the "mirror", but when I began to experience problems, have created their own again. I removed all the texture and uploading it again. It did not help.

jmyers2043:
In general, texture, and so the roof will be replaced with better, and I turn it 90 degrees on the roofs of outbuildings. It was a test render to see how it will look like in the game. And when you see the problems stopped further applied textures.

I created the roof line tool again. I removed the old one. I put the texture again, and the effect is the same. The same situation is with other parts of the wing. All the elements are tilted texture. And worse, everything looks in gmaxie okay, so I do not know how to set them to the rendering turned out well.

As for the height at the moment with endings roof is 27 meters. But the amount will be matched to other buildings. The amount compares with buildings created by ferox, which is also the same time giving me the directions to eliminate mistakes.

As I've already written the texture on the roof will be replaced because she actually does not look good.

harishna:
I checked to see if there are only the textures that I use. Even deleted the all the textures and started to put them once more. The effect is the same. I checked whether or not I made a mistake in the UVW Map. But there also all is well. Therefore I have no idea what is the cause.

For now I'm learning and I'm not strong enough to try to work on another program. Maybe someday.

Thank you for your help. I will still try to fix these errors, maybe something will result, and I can finish the project.

Of course, all the time waiting for help, suggestions and criticism

EDIT: Ok. I managed to solve the problem. DebussyMan you were right. The problem arises by using the mirror. Even a small detail copied and turned this option causes the entire section of the building is crooked texture. It only improves the height of a few meters and you can start making lots.

By the way, I must also raise the previous project, and set it in a properly aligned with the W2W buildings.

I also met some texture to why they disappear. The solution is to upload it again using the option "material editor". After uploading and making sure that it is selected a small blue-white cube, all problems cease to exist.

Thank you again for your valuable advice. They helped a lot and helped a little bit better understand the program. With each subsequent draft my knowledge and skills will grow. I believe that the fourth and fifth design is pretty good.

EDIT 2:
Ok. I managed to finish these two projects on which I worked lately. Yet to establish their lots and will be ready. Below the effect of today's working on a new apartment building. He is also Joseph Swieciski's project. But with less gusto.
What do you think about this project.

There are a few things still to be added and I have more to hide a semicircle above the windows on the first floor. Escaped my notice. Only after looking at the front in all noticed this oversight.

Then he will be the back wall and the roof of the building and texturing.

Waiting for feedback.

I cordially greet and thank you for your time

kapete

I really like that facade :thumbsup: It looks promising! I can't wait to see the entire building :thumbsup:

DaveN

Just finished work on the third tenement. Although it was the easiest to implement, provoked me a lot of other technical problems. In the end I managed to sort them out.
Probably tomorrow it will arrange some LOTs. It will be a version of GROW R$ for 2x2 and 2x3 plot.

As if anyone wanted it after Sunday will be available on all 3 at the www.simcitypolska.pl

It is true that the first two are already out there, but I got the information that they are a little bad set and I have to slightly adjust the lots. Therefore, if someone had already downloaded, please download again past Sunday and delete the old versions.
And the result looks like this is my job. (This building in the middle, is the result of today's work).

How do you like it? Do you have any comments?

kapete

Quote from: DaveN on April 23, 2011, 03:56:03 PM
Just finished work on the third tenement. Although it was the easiest to implement, provoked me a lot of other technical problems. In the end I managed to sort them out.
Probably tomorrow it will arrange some LOTs. It will be a version of GROW R$ for 2x2 and 2x3 plot.

As if anyone wanted it after Sunday will be available on all 3 at the www.simcitypolska.pl

It is true that the first two are already out there, but I got the information that they are a little bad set and I have to slightly adjust the lots. Therefore, if someone had already downloaded, please download again past Sunday and delete the old versions.
And the result looks like this is my job. (This building in the middle, is the result of today's work).

How do you like it? Do you have any comments?
I'm not sure about this but I had heard plopable residentials tend to get abandoned, so it wouldn't be a good idea to make it so. I would also suggest you to use omni lights for the enlightenment, specially for the ground-level floor.  Anyway I like the modelling.  :thumbsup:

DaveN

Quote from: kapete on April 23, 2011, 05:26:55 PM
I'm not sure about this but I had heard plopable residentials tend to get abandoned, so it wouldn't be a good idea to make it so. I would also suggest you to use omni lights for the enlightenment, specially for the ground-level floor.  Anyway I like the modelling.  :thumbsup:

I know that residential plopable is abandoned. I wrote that will create a growable lots R$. Popable I making only Landmarks. I use an interpreter, and perhaps the word "plot" of the Polish were poorly translated. I wanted to write that the lots will be about the size of 2x2 and 2x3.

But thank you for your attention and advice. I see at least that you are trying to help the novice.

By the way, I noticed that I forgot to finish the rustication on the ground floor windows :) (there's nothing like blindness, combined with fatigue from all-day staring at a monitor) so I introduced a small correction and the model went to the re-rendering.

EDIT:
I present below a ruined building with plaster in terrible condition. As you can see the beauty of not sinning. Such destroyed, collapsing buildings in each city very much. I did it in the break to catch your breath before I'll be back for more complex projects

DaveN

Hello again.
After a short break returned to build houses in Bydgoszcz Joseph Swiecicki projects. This time it will corner tenement. I immediately question for you. How many can have a building to fit on the 2x2 and that was well positioned in relation to other buildings W2W?

I must admit that modeling gives me lot of fun, but when you start texturing it is a nightmare. Do you know of any patent how to choose colors to create BATs? I have with this big problem, because for example, a project which is now working is actually very clear and if I wanted to reproduce the texture is stepped out almost white. That is why I allowed myself to a little experiment with textures and would love to hear what you think, or can this be?

At the outset that the building is not yet captured the ground floor and attic and across the rear of the building. As well it is not yet scaled the heights. But I'm waiting with impatience for your feedback and suggestions.

And now I present the fruit of my hard work today :)

Let me add in passing that if someone interested in the earlier three houses that are available for downloading from the www.simcitypolska.pl.

Best regards
DaveN

supremec

I like your latest upload  :thumbsup:
Very good start to your work today   &apls
Click on the banner to see my BATs

DaveN

Welcome to the another beautiful day.

Today I finished modeling the corner house. This is my first corner house, so if you notice any errors let me know.

I have to admit that the painting, which I showed yesterday was changed. At the insistence of my mentor Ferox, I made a version of his painting reminiscent of the original, and earned a second, somewhat darker version as a reflection of view mirror. Firstly the inverted version of the darker than the original and then the original version of the law. I hope that you liked to finish it took me all night.

And here it is. I hope you like it.

Greet and invite you to give advice and guidance

Sciurus

Waow it's just... wonderful! &apls &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

DaveN

Quote from: Sciurus on April 26, 2011, 02:35:41 AM
Waow it's just... wonderful! &apls &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for your words of appreciation. I try as I may, that is what I was like the most refined. After all, there are many things in gmax, which can not. I'm trying as long as you reach the desired effect

Below I have already completed projects in a night light. I hope you will enjoy them.

At the moment I'm working on another project already building. It is quite unusual, because it is not a corner tenement, but one side is the free space, which is the access road to the rear of the building. In addition, the wall space is not a blank wall, but in her window. That is why such an unusual project. I'm going to make it to the SC4 corner house, and built-W2W, except that the clearance between the mask to form the next building wall with a gate on the property.

antn

Beautiful work on those corners, they look like they were recently renovated, I like that. Your new project sounds interesting, can't wait to see it.

metasmurf

Quote from: DaveN on April 23, 2011, 06:00:53 PM
EDIT:
I present below a ruined building with plaster in terrible condition. As you can see the beauty of not sinning. Such destroyed, collapsing buildings in each city very much. I did it in the break to catch your breath before I'll be back for more complex projects

I like this building. However, I think the texture should have less saturation. This can be achieved by using an image editing program. I took the liberty to lower the saturation on your image just to proove my point.

Some roof junk should be added too.

Btw, very nice corner buildings  :thumbsup:

supremec

Awesome corner BAT  &apls  &apls
I'll download it  &apls  &apls

DaveN

Quote from: supremec on April 27, 2011, 02:47:58 AM
Awesome corner BAT  &apls  &apls
I'll download it  &apls  &apls

I'm glad you fell to your taste. At the moment there is only the www.simcitypolska.pl. Cordially invite

EDIT: This haste and the fact that my topic is also run on the Polish side of the note I wrote here in Polish :) Of course, is already translated. Incident occurred as hardest sorry

And now. Today I finished building, which recently showed that the fast. I fixed the textures and added elements on the roof. It seems to me that now looks better. Simple, neglected building, which in any city can be seen in large numbers.

Of course, all the time working on this unusual project, which has already been mentioned. As will be nearing an end it will certainly show.

metarvo

Nice progress, Dave.  I especially like the new textures and the general dilapidatedness of the building.  Of course, the roof junk makes a world of difference, too.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

metasmurf

Yeah, great improvements. Looks perfect now  :thumbsup:

supremec

I have rated your latest creations on simcitypolska 5/5  &apls  &apls