• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Urban Transport Design

Started by Haljackey, October 27, 2010, 08:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Hello SC4 Devotion!

I've been working on a website over the past little bit called Urban Transport Design. As the name implies, it focuses on transportation geography in an urban setting.

There's also a heavy Simcity 4 influence on it. After all, it's one of the reasons why I'm so interested in this stuff!

The style is more like a web page rather than forum-based. However there is a blog section where visitors can leave comments.

The site is still a work in progress but I would like to know how the community thinks about it.

If you have any questions or comments about it, feel free to shoot me a PM, post below or email me. I'm looking for feedback... constructive criticism welcome!

Anyways thanks a lot and have a great day! Hope you enjoy the site!

-Ryan (Haljackey)

MandelSoft

I might provide you some theory about transport design. I study Civil Engineering, you know  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

WC_EEND

Will you focus on Canadian urban transport, or will Europe also be in it?
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Haljackey

Cool mrtnrln, civil engineering and transport go hand in hand!

Quote from: WC_EEND on October 28, 2010, 02:29:21 AM
Will you focus on Canadian urban transport, or will Europe also be in it?

I'll probably be focusing on topics close to home, but I certainly won't leave out the rest of the world!

j-dub

I am sure by now Hal, you know of a program called CityScape? Catty uses it alot. It was designed specifically for traffic planning, it has working turn arrows on traffic lights, and lets you build roads however you want, 2 way stops, 4 way stops, traffic lights, and lets you adjust the amount of lanes, not to mention build interchanges, and is a lot better at building closer to home road and highway layouts, not to mention adjust volumes of traffics and can import road maps of the area where you live (using open street map data) I have used it for just that. While I have not been since credited, I noticed after I wanted to demonstrate over the internet my better traffic improvement, I noticed not too long after, they just so happened to actually install a traffic signal at this one intersection, not the normal type for my state too, maybe they realized they should after seeing my work with CS.

Haljackey

Yeah I gave Cityscape a shot... Didn't really like it's format. It's more of a program whereas Simcity 4 is a game. Maybe it's because I'm so accustomed to SC4 that I haven't really liked Cityscape and new simulator games like Cities XL and Simcity Societies.

Perhaps I'll give it another shot sometime. I've seen some of the interchanges Mcduell has made with Cityscape and they're insanely good.