• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Art128's SC4 Projects

Started by art128, August 12, 2009, 03:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dantes

This is a very large map! I'm curious about the result of your performance! *hug*

art128

Thanks for the comments!

Dantes, it's not so much a large map.. in fact the entire region is just 2x1 large city tiles.. However yes It's not in my usual playing style to develop large tiles. For the project I'm doing it is unfortunately necessary, otherwise the map would be too filled with mountains and nothing else, pretty boring.

kbieniu7, don't worry about the Police... it is quasi non-existent! No, but I haven't really thought about it. Let's say it's somehow organized and they only race of the road is fully cleared of any oncoming traffic and stopped as soon as a car comes. They also only race at night at around midnight, 1AM..

SuperMessi, Patience... The buildings are coming next month.. Be patient. ;) As for the project, well I'd say my inspiration came more from Initial D, Over Rev and Wagan Midnight than Fast and Furious  (which I consider to be pretty bad and entry level racing media.)

I got a very interesting pair of comments on Simtropolis from kschmidt and dedgren that made me think about the road itself.

QuoteSmooth out some corners, specially the 90°halfway
QuoteMaybe the use of some FAR stretches and S-curves to break up the "right, left, right, left" character of the main road.

These are very interesting. Looking at the road now I can see that it's very monotonous and doesn't feel organic enough. There are too much and too long straightways and not enough winding.
I've decided to restart that tile, give the mountain a better feel to it. Use more FAR and wide curves section and make the road smooth out along the mountain slope better. I'll be challenging, but I'll try my best.

Here's what I have now. The mountain was created with the in-game tool.. This is actually the best mountain I've ever modeled, considering I'm really bad at this, this is quite an achievement!
I'll start working on the road itself tomorrow since I'm tired today. (Just when I was finally getting some good sleep last night, my alarm rang.. It was 7AM already...)

Again, if anyone has any idea what to use for the pass top and mountain top (apart from antenna, I got that covered), I'd gladly use some thoughts about it.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kbieniu7

Yep, the tile looks quite pretty right now :) I wish I have modeled my mountains with better "scale" - I usually have them two in-game-times smaller, than that!

Again - I would like to see some sanctuary or a convent on the top of a pass - seems to be a good and quiet place for that, considering the fact, that any other facility, except agriculture, would rather locate down in the town. Or maybe... a space observatory?  ::)

Go, get some sleep! Don't force yourself for a game too much ;)

Regards!
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

seraf

You're bad at this you say? To me this mountain looks pretty amazing ;)

And I believe I didn't congratulate you on OSITM so, congratulations!  &apls

reddonquixote

6 OSITMs! Fantastic achievement, well done  &apls &apls

This is fascinating to see the region being developed like this, great work.

I love the idea of a space observatory, does such a BAT exist? I don't recall ever seeing one.
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

compdude787

Looks nice! How did you get those contour lines to show up?
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

c.p.

Congrats on the OSITM. &apls

I'm imagining some nice horse pastures in the mountain pass area. &Thk/(

Quote from: compdude787 on November 13, 2015, 02:05:33 PM
How did you get those contour lines to show up?
Control+C (if I remember right)

art128

Thanks for the comment. I noted about the sanctuary at the top and will be building one. I'll try to look for an observatory too.

compdude787, ctrl + caps + C ;)

Will start really building and treeing tonight.

Props & Texture Catalog

seraf

Looks good :) Shouldn't the road to the top of the mountain be more...winding? That's only suggestion, I think it looks good as it is too :D

art128

You're right Seraf. It was my first try with the FAR and slopes... it's actually quite hard. I've reworked the road and I think I got a good result.. At least I like it.

Some closeup of the road itself.

I'll be back for more. This has been a good OSITM week. :)

Props & Texture Catalog

SuperMessi

I like the road layout but what I like better is your little stream. They are always very nice.

Btw Art, what does OSITM means? xD

TheTeaCat

WoW nice work Art

The road looks much better now but not too sure of the Cherry Blossom along the roads. Along the river course the look right but imo not along the roads.

And yes working with FAR and slopes is quite how does one put it without swearing??? Difficult is what I use, but when no one is around well it's more like............ :angrymore:

Quote from: SuperMessi on November 15, 2015, 12:21:56 PM
Btw Art, what does OSITM means? xD
OSITM = Of Special Interest This Month!!

TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Girafe

Nice scene Arthur.

The road looks great  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

noahclem

Great update  &apls  The winding road turned out excellent and using the section of SAM on the hill works really well. Those mountain pass roads are indeed really challenging. I try to use a mixture or dragging from the top and dragging from the bottom or else I end up with one side of the mountain having lots of areas that dig deeply into the slope and the other side with roads elevated above the surrounding hillside :D

Excellent work with the dam and power station too  :thumbsup:

reddonquixote

I LOVE that dam, I've never seen it before. You have a done an amazing job getting it to work so seamlessly in the SC4 environment. Super realism!  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

manga rivotra

It's amazing what you can do in just a few days!  ::)
Great job with the relief: the road layout seems very natural. Even the FAR section is very well integrated in the village.  :thumbsup:

romualdillo

The road layout looks pretty realistic, but its sides look a bit empty... I don't know if you've thought about it, but perhaps you can plop transparent lots with overhanging props to reduce the space (and then fill them with MMPs). I have nothing against the cherry trees, I think they create an incredible scenic view when driving along the road. The town looks very cozy, and the stream and dam look wonderful, as always!!!  :thumbsup:

Themistokles

I think that curving road turned out very well! Especially I like the integration of the small industries, the hydro plant and the stream.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

kelis

Congratulations for that OSITM  &apls &apls

I like the last updates. especially the last one, the village is really well done I like the rural ambient  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Kergelen

Nice work on the Dam. I like the way the river turn to a narrow stream down from the Dam.

Links to SC4 websites