• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Haljackey's SimCity 4 Archives

Started by Haljackey, May 04, 2008, 06:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

A little bit before that video was posted, Vince had already been playing around with an RHW ramp meter prototype of his own (pre-RHW 4.0).  We'll probably have something along those lines in a future release--they'd be a nice addition to urban/suburban RHW systems.  However, I'm not sure when.

The group behind that video was actually developing a separate mod to compete with the RHW, using a conflicting IID scheme and RULs.  Most of their membership left once that project started, leaving just a couple stragglers.  Discussions between the remaining members and the NAM Team ultimately proved unproductive, and they disbanded in early 2010. 

-Alex

Haljackey

It's been an awfully long time since I've posted something here, but this project is about old and archived content.  :P

"Update" 16: NAM and RHW Changed our Game

This update will deal with content in the game rather than developmental states. The NAM and RHW have significantly changed the way we have built cities.

Believe it or not, that's RHW there, not one-way roads. RHW textures during the version 2 days allowed for dark asphalt appearances, something I wish was still available today.

The NAM enabled us to make crazy, mega-junctions like this:

One of my first applications of smooth curves ever. The lane-shift pieces vastly improved the look over one-tile swaps, and eventually led to the fractional-angle (FA) project for transportation networks.

Avenue roundabouts were a long time coming. I believe they were introduced in 2007 and were a huge asset to the game. Before them, you had to use a 4x4 block of One-Way road with 4 sharp curves, but you could still have a 2x2 median inside.
-Also note the one-way road to diagonal avenue transitions in this photo.

Dug this one up today. The first version of the RHW to be publicly released contained the actual highway and a small turnaround, but nothing else.

A first look at RHW version 3, noting the various widths of the network and the transitions.

Looking at a tight diamond interchange on a 'dual' highway. Simple ramps like this were not even possible to apply without the NAM, even though they existed for standard interchanges.

The beast of what is the NAM ground-elevated highway stack interchange complimented with a pair of t-bone interchanges.
-The compact size of this interchange meant that old cloverleafs could be easily replaced when a user downloaded the NAM.

This messy picture shows many of the pre-NAM issues associated with Simcity 4. Yes, this is how our many of our cities used to look like.

Version 4 of the RHW allowed for some seamless connections like this and could easily be added to content constructed with version 3.

Version 4 of the RHW also made RHW-RHW junctions compact for the first time.

Version 5 of the RHW has vastly improved the realistic look of our highways.
-Yes I know this is not old content but whatever I am showing it as a comparison.   $%Grinno$%

I believed this collector-express configuration was built with RHW 2.0. Before this release, making 'milti-RHWs' were notoriously difficult and were only successfully implemented by a select few.

The addition of raised networks in the NAM meant we were able to construct dense, complicated urban environments. All we could do pre-NAM was construct default overpasses over ground highways.

NAM turning lanes vastly improved the aesthetic look of our intersections. The TuLEP project would eventually evolve from the desire to create more realistic turning lanes.

RHW 3.0's textures. Notice the difference between the RHW-4 type 'C' on/off ramps. Those dashed lines would lead to the RHW cosmetic pieces we have today.

I'll end this update by showing a interchange built with RHW 2.0 and the European textures. It looks better than Maxis' junctions, eh?

jdenm8

I'm gonna have to pull you up on the first 'RHW 4.0' pic. That's actually RHW 5.0 :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Haljackey

Quote from: jdenm8 on October 23, 2011, 08:14:50 PM
I'm gonna have to pull you up on the first 'RHW 4.0' pic. That's actually RHW 5.0 :P

Bah you're right. Although those junctions were made using 4.0 but the pics were taken with 5.0 textures, so I'm 'technically correct'. :P

MandelSoft

The RHW v2.0 did show the Sidewalk bug far too often...

Quote from: Haljackey on October 23, 2011, 07:52:59 PM
RHW 3.0's textures. Notice the difference between the RHW-4 type 'C' on/off ramps. Those dashed lines would lead to the RHW cosmetic pieces we have today.

Not entirely true. I was bugged about the RHW markings for not allowing me to create realistic block markings near exits. So I decided to make the Cosmetic Pieces as soon as I had the knowledge to create them. And the section is still growing ;)

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

metarvo

It's nice to look back and remember where we've been once in a while.  For some reason, I kept visualizing RHW-8S and RHW-10 when I looked at that pre-2.0 multi-RHW pic.  I guess the only real reason to build multi-RHWs now is control of access to the inner lanes (HOV setups, for instance), or to simulate network widths that don't exist yet (RHW-12).
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mike3775

Reading through this thread beginning to end, it is simply amazing how much NAM has changed the game.  I used to rely on maxis highways for the longest, even after RHW came out, but now, I despise using the maxis highways unless I absolutely have to(I always place 2 tiles between the RHW routes to be used as express lanes if the highways get crowded).  I also like how the MIS system is capable of being used to make interchanges wherever and whenever you want as well and do not need to have a bridge over the road to connect to as well.

noahclem

Really nice update of NAM history Hal!  :thumbsup:

Haljackey

Quote from: mrtnrln on October 23, 2011, 11:30:17 PM

Not entirely true. I was bugged about the RHW markings for not allowing me to create realistic block markings near exits. So I decided to make the Cosmetic Pieces as soon as I had the knowledge to create them. And the section is still growing ;)

I was meaning that they really started to gain attention once RHW 2.0 was released. RHW 3.0 was the first to include them in the 'base' texture.

Quote from: metarvo on October 24, 2011, 07:01:26 AM
It's nice to look back and remember where we've been once in a while.  For some reason, I kept visualizing RHW-8S and RHW-10 when I looked at that pre-2.0 multi-RHW pic.  I guess the only real reason to build multi-RHWs now is control of access to the inner lanes (HOV setups, for instance), or to simulate network widths that don't exist yet (RHW-12).

Yes before the RHW-6, 8, and 10, you could only make RHW-4s (plus the ANT which was essentially the RHW-2). If you wanted a wider route, a multi-RHW was the only way to go. These days these are more cosmetic than anything, because they don't really affect the capacity too much since the C networks and the 8s and 10 are multi-tiled network with additional capacity.

Swordmaster

Great topic! Takes us back quite a while, eh?  ;)

apeguy

I just read through the entire thread. It's amazing how much effort and dedication has been put into this game over the years. Personally, some of these projects should have been finished. Who knows, maybe some may be revisited in the future. :)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Haljackey

"Update" 17: Maxis Highways Get a Bad Rep
(Part I)

It seems as though these days people want to distance themselves away from using the ground and elevated highways Maxis gave us as much as possible. While I completely agree that alternatives like the Real Highway Mod are significantly more realistic, both networks can look and function amazingly well in your city if you give them the chance.

Like many, I have used the Maxis Highways for 8 years. No, that is not a typo. With that much experience, along with custom content, you can turn this otherwise bland, constrictive network into something beautiful.

This update is dedicated to Maxis Highways, showing some of my creations throughout the years. While I too have distanced myself from Maxis Highways quite a bit, I still use them, and you should too!

Enjoy the large gallery of pictures. Hope I don't kill your browser!  :P

Haljackey

"Update" 17: Maxis Highways Get a Bad Rep
(Part II)

This is a video update showing one of my old cities that contains about as much Maxis highway as you can possibly cram into a tile. It may be miles away from being realistic, but this (original) playing style has a certain charm to it.

Fun fact, I started working on this city before I downloaded the NAM for the first time. Needless to say implementing NAM components was a challenge but I still got a lot of the road network retrofitted with new components. There was only room for RHW (Version 1.0) in just a few places, such as near the airport.

Anyways enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/v/xfpTdRDJZIM

Link for more info and HD playback: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfpTdRDJZIM

In the next update it's back to developer content, both released and unreleased.

apeguy

Nice blast from the past there Hal, interesting to see a city built during the NAM's infancy. :)

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

mike3775

Maxis highways still serve a purpose in the game, RHW simply took a market share of it.  I still prefer Maxis at times(especially for river crossings), but prefer RHW for everything else.  I also use Maxis as express lanes for the RHW when it gets to congested, which has its usefulness

Will12

Hey Hal it's great that you give a good rep to the Maxis highways I like them a lot too more than other people. In some of your earlier and some of your later updates you posted many pictures like the OWR-1, NMAVE-4, and TLA-5 and now we all use them in the great NWM 2.0 release.

Haljackey

"Update" 18: Highway Interchange Guide - The Old Way

For those who may or may not know, I run the show over at the RHW Interchange Guide section of the site. While it's kind of stalled while I contemplate how to move all the content over there, all the guides follow a basic step by step formula.

After randomly stumbling on some of my past work, I realized what may have inspired me to make that guide. This precursor is, in fact, not made with the RHW, but standard highway system Maxis included in the game... With NAM additions, of course. This junction was originally showcased in the Greater Terran Region (GTR) City Journal / Mayor Diary that has long since been retired.

What is found below is the bulk of the entry where I showed, step by step, how I converted an old cloverleaf into a depressed stack interchange.

With any luck, the 'click for full resolution' trick that I used way back when may work for your browser. It's functionality has been iffy since SC4D did it's last major site update.

Here is the interchange in its current state.  I quickly constructed this ground highway cloverleaf in order to establish a temporary connection to Witburg.  I knew some day I would need to upgrade it.
-Although its a cloverleaf, there is no weaving as only one of the four loop ramps are being used by traffic.

Pretty pathetic eh?  I will be constructing a sunken stack interchange where this cloverleaf once was.
-Here, I have demolished the interchange and sunk the ground.

The stack interchange fits perfectly into the new depression.

Time to "hook it up" with the existing highways.
-Note the use of double-height elevated rail at the top of the image.  Without this feature, this interchange could never have been constructed here.

Adding some snazzy support walls and a overpass.

Adding lights, signs, and other eyecandy.

A closeup of some of the new signage.  As you can see some of it is extra-large sized to ensure drivers know where they are going.

The sunken segment is extended further east to connect with this avenue.

A zoom out of the interchange in its current state.  I have also begun to add roads to this area in preparation for zoning and development.

The location of the new interchange in the region view.
-Sorry, this image is not available in full resolution.

Original entry found here for those who want to dig deeper: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=3340.msg225575#msg225575

Anyways that will do it for now. I always like searching through my archives to see how far things have come.
-Ryan (Haljackey)

Haljackey

Not really an update, but I wanted to post a link to an old thread that is relevant.

The 'original' multi-lane RHW (Multi-RHW) guide and thread: http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/14874-multi-lane-rhw-rural-highway-guide-thread/

Most of the images are intact, and it shows the old way such roads were made. It also shows how primitive the RHW mod was back then, along with my city building skills. :P

It may not look like much, but that little tutorial lead to the creation of the RHW Interchange Guide among other things. Bet you didn't know that!  ;)

Haljackey

I think this warrants a post. My last diagonal section of the original RHW. After all these years it's still intact and functioning. It may very well be the last of it's kind in the SC4 world unless someone can match me.

Enjoy the pic! Even did a little photoshopping on it, which is very unlike me :P

Un-photoshopped zoom-out if interested: http://i.imgur.com/JtplQ.jpg

Tarkus

Glad to see the Legacy Support getting put to solidly nostalgic use! :thumbsup:  It's kind of weird seeing those old textures of yore today.  Sure, there were jagged curves and the really long center stripes . . . but they were enough to open my mind to the idea of an alternative to the Maxis Highways way back when.  Hard to believe that we're approaching the 7-year anniversary of the original RHW release . . . and the 5-year anniversary of the MIS.

-Alex