• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Buddybuds Expansive Attempts at Anything & Everything.

Started by buddybud, November 12, 2007, 03:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddybud

Hello to everyone.

As the title suggests this is page for my future projects ranging from this and to that. Some will be familliar with some of my previous work and various attempts, the latter comprising the majority.
    My first attempt at a project a couple years back was to try to deal with the empty green areas under elevated network tiles. this never got completed due to various reasons, however i learned many things during the initial attempt. well in short after some time away dealing with rl i have returned to sc4 and developing my ideas. Since i was forced to start anew due to a hard drive failure and a lack of backing up i decided to start fresh and revisit the first project. i soon learned of new advances and specifically the mods by MIncroabl, ArkenbergeJoe, and ardecila. each had a different but unique approach to modding the underside of networks. i decided to combine all three's ideas in an attempt to make a more realistic el-rail.
    This is a pic of the el-rail i based the initial model on.

heres what i got so far.

essentially these props and textures represent low wealth. the plan would be to introduce a bunch of random props under the networks and add different variations for different zones and or wealth. im going to have many questions along the way as ive yet to create models or implement them. ive run into a few problems though minor. for instance the props for avenues do not appear when i drag the el over an avenue...but do appear when i drag an avenue under an el?.

the big question for now is to expand the number and pattern of empty lots under an el from 2 to atleast 4. this would be so i could try and add as much variation as possible underneith the network tiles.  as stated there are presently two. one with a pylon and one empty. i image this could be expanded and manipulated by using the same methods incorporated in designing a bridge. i will check into this next. with otheres help of course. :thumbsup:

anyways ill keep an up to date journal here of my adventures and discoveries. take care.

rooker1

I am so glad you have started something over here.  I think you'll find a lot of help here, as well as great people.   ;)
Your project looks very good, I think I could find a way to use this in my city.

&apls &apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

jeronij

Helo Buddyb, fantastic to see another of your projects alive and running  :thumbsup:

Welcome to SC4D  ;)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

BigSlark

Welcome, buddybud. I love your older work with underpasses and overpasses and I'm very glad to see that you've started on another project.

I'm zero help in the BAT'ing/Modding department but you have created a good looking model and are off to a great start. I'll keep tabs on this thread to see whats next, I'm sure you'll succeed.

Cheers,
Kevin

Meastro444

looks awesome  :thumbsup:

i do hope you will return to the tunnels/subway/traffic converter ;)
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

buddybud

Thanks all for the warm welcome.  ()stsfd(). heres a minor update. though a big breakthrough for me. it took a while to figure out how to do this. but it was simple once i got my head around patching  the exemplars and models. textures need some work.

Filasimo

woah thats dirty chris! you gotta tell us more about this latest update  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

buddybud

dirty dirty...lol...
anyways to tell you a bit about it wont require much. i essentially copied the exemplar from the road under light rail nam plugin over to my mod then simply changed the model entries in it to point to the default light rail straight piece. added my props and a new road network prop via a new t21 exemplar. so essentially what you see is all props except for the top which is a default maxis lightrail model. make sense? ill give more details if needed.....cheers.

SimNation

Great to see the return of this great idea with a big update. Those look so great for elevated rail espically since I am a fan of using elevated rail in a few of my cities. Cant wait to be able to use these will make elevated rail far more good/realistic to look at then the default.

buddybud

heres another small update and an annoying problem.

this is the replacement corner junction from the nam road under light rail piece. the network texture of this prop has to be adjusted but thats not the problem. this is the problem.

i can't get the flipped prop to show up. ive followed these instructions i found in snorrelli's thread with MIncroabl's work.

MIncroabl Except for that the base prop doesn't appear on mirrored tiles... I suspect this has something to do with the kPropertyID_FlipsAllowed and/or kPropertyID_RotationsAllowed parameters, but couldn't figure them out.

Memo Regarding the mirroring problem, IIRC, you need two T21-Exemplar files which both link at the same network tile. The first one needs to have the property FlipsAllowed 0x02 for the non-mirrored version of the tile. The second one must have the value 0x01 for this property and is the flipped version. Therefor the game rotates the props by 180°, but I'm not sure about this though. If flips aren't possible for a particular tile, then only one exemplar is necessary with the value 0x00 for the aforementioned property of course.
Swamper For flipped tiles, you also need to have a flipped model of the prop. Since your tile props appear to be symmetrical, add the property "Resource Type Key 1xm" with the model reference TGI of the existing prop model to the exemplar of your prop.
QuoteMincroabl Yess!! We're in business! That worked perfectly! Than you very much! ...I'll stop shouting now...

anyways ive not been able to make this work. but its possible i missed something. ill keep you posted. cheers.

jeronij

I am sure you will solve this soon  ;) .... impatiently waiting for more development.... ;D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

buddybud

thanx jeronij.

just an update. ive been incredibly busy but managed to get some more pieces done.

cheers

rooker1

That looks incredible, great work.  I may decide to use this when you are finished.

&apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

jplumbley

Dude,  your awesome!!

I have a quick question about how this is working.. I am definately interested.

Are you making these like you used to as offest lots?

Are you using Type 21s?

From experimenting and theoretical ideas Tarkus and I have been scheming over time, it should be possible for us to make under El-Rail scenary much easier and not waste space.  What we have been toying with is the idea of making El-RHW parts as T21s.  Using the T21s we can force certain pieces to appear on certain tiles and look as if it were the actual network.  Now, due to this being a T21 and not a network model, it allows us to define textures for these tiles.  These textures can look like anything and with the T21s we are also able to add props.

EDIT:  Oh I also forgot to mention this would be 100% draggable under-Network scenary.

Just a thought... Is this useful information?
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

RippleJet

Quote from: jplumbley on December 17, 2007, 08:37:19 AM
Are you using Type 21s?

Isn't it obvious they are T21's... ::)
...he is referring to MIncroabl's modding! :thumbsup:

And:
Quote from: buddybud on November 13, 2007, 11:00:32 PM
dirty dirty...lol...
anyways to tell you a bit about it wont require much. i essentially copied the exemplar from the road under light rail nam plugin over to my mod then simply changed the model entries in it to point to the default light rail straight piece. added my props and a new road network prop via a new t21 exemplar. so essentially what you see is all props except for the top which is a default maxis lightrail model. make sense? ill give more details if needed.....cheers.

jplumbley

LOL... Im horrible.  I read all the posts with pictures (the important ones right? WRONG!).  ::)  JP wake up smell the coffee, tea, whatever.. just smell it.

Awesome work there man!  It definately look like they were T21s but I wanted to make sure.

Again, Im sorry for being so slow  &scl() sometimes.  I have a million ideas running through my head all the time and am just trying to help out where I can.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

SimNation

Looking great man  :thumbsup: good to see you sorted out the interchange problems with it. Looks flawlessly good. Love the cement on the hill such a great touch. Great to see you made it able to go over the pedestrian mall tiles as well, im sure a lot of people will appreciate that.

Keep it up..oh yea one question...when the Dual El Pieces are made will you attempt to make this work for them as well? Im pretty sure those are gonna be more NAM puzzle pieces.

Jack Bauer

i like your job this metro looks like the metro of chicago or NYC

buddybud

rooker1 :Thanks rooker
jplumbley : Glad ya got that worked hot..lol cheers.
RippleJet : Your are absolutely correct
SimNation : Thanks and yes it would be possible. just concentrating on finishing the existing pieces still.
Jack Bauer : thats what i was aiming for. thanx.

little update. played with textures and models to ensure flexibility. cheers all.

Silur

Hi, Buddybud - Great Artist of many earth bridges ...
Merry Christmass to You and Best regards with Your extremely beautiful work !!!
Thank You !!!