• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Building a new PC, advice wanted

Started by jdenm8, September 11, 2011, 11:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Yeah... NewEgg doesn't post to Australia. Actually, most US online retailers don't. I haven't looked into parcel forwarders, but I think it'd be cheaper to buy it locally.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Kitsune

Quote from: Andreas on September 14, 2011, 01:24:43 PM
Again, I am not talking about the max. amount of RAM that a system can handle (some mainstream chipsets even support 64 GB now), but the need to throw out your old RAM modules if you just have two (or three) RAM slots. Modern chipsets always make use of dual or triple channel RAM access, so you need pairs or triplets by default. But as I said before, it's not that much of an issue if you buy a mainboard that has more slots.

.... next gen will be quadruples, 8 slots.
~ NAM Team Member

Shark7

Quote from: Andreas on September 14, 2011, 01:24:43 PM
Again, I am not talking about the max. amount of RAM that a system can handle (some mainstream chipsets even support 64 GB now), but the need to throw out your old RAM modules if you just have two (or three) RAM slots. Modern chipsets always make use of dual or triple channel RAM access, so you need pairs or triplets by default. But as I said before, it's not that much of an issue if you buy a mainboard that has more slots.

Right, I get it.  I misunderstood before.  Now with my 6, so long as the each set of three matches exactly (though its better to have all memory sticks the same) you can do as you say.  I believe mine is triple channel in that its in sets of 3.

I wonder if there is a program out there that can actually utilize a full 64 GB of memory...that's a lot.  ???