• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bixel's CAM & Normal HK Residential Monsters!!!

Started by bixel, June 18, 2007, 02:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bixel

SSPSwede

Quote from: RippleJet on October 01, 2007, 12:10:44 AM[...]My suggestion is that we make it a reward, being offered when e.g. 5 residential CAMeLots have grown.
Just 5? What about when we start getting cities like this?  ;)
I will be using that school all the time, gotta be able to handle the dense cities :)
SkyscraperPage & SkyscraperCity moderator

mightygoose

for fudges sake thats crazy, no base on these megalots???
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

shinkansen1

Quote from: SSPSwede on October 19, 2007, 03:06:33 PM
I will be using that school all the time, gotta be able to handle the dense cities :)

That's not fair to some people who can't use the CAM. ()sad() :'(

snorrelli

Quote from: shinkansen1 on October 20, 2007, 09:15:39 PM
That's not fair to some people who can't use the CAM. ()sad() :'(

Didn't you see my post on the previous page? Just use the "you don't deserve it cheat" and the great "injustice" you fear will be averted... ::)

Seriously, "not fair to people who can't use CAM"? I think Bixel, more than any other creator, has gone out of his way to make things that are both CAM-patible and Maxis standard. If I were him, well... let's leave it at that.
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.

RippleJet

Quote from: SSPSwede on October 19, 2007, 03:06:33 PM

It was actually increased to 10 in the last version that is now with Marius for lotting. ;)

bixel

OK. Sceneway Gardens is released on Simtropolis. I will make a CAM version for the LEX, that will include both CAM and non-CAM versions. Still having some problems with my Commercial Office vs Residential growth in my CAM cities, but mostly it may be a stage growth problem. I am unsure exactly how cam works but I am guessing certain numbers of buildings at certain stages and certain occupancy 'unlocks' greater stage growth. If this is the case perhaps the residential growth needs to be slightly easier to unlock imo. Since I have higher population of office occupation than I do people -- which is weird.

RippleJet

For residentials the stage limits are thresholds based on the regional residential capacity.
For commercials the stage limits are thresholds based on the regional commercial capacity.

The relationship between residential and commercial thresholds are roughly in the ratio 8:5.
In other words, the same stages should appear for R and C when the commercial capacity is about 5/8 of the residential capacity.

In Rush Hour that ratio is 1:1, which means that residential skyscrapers develop sooner than commerical ones.
Since the workforce is just 40-60% of the population, you will always reach a certain residential capacity sooner than the same commercial capacity.

M4346

I've just sent off the HKSAS Primary School LOT and other files for testing and will ask that Tage sent them to you. :)

Here are some images:

I've also made a custom icon for it:

What do you think?  ;D Let me know if you want it changed. :)

It is truly a magnificent BAT Bixel!  &apls &apls

If you're not happy with the LOT, let me know. ;) Also, if you'd like me to create the Readme and Installer for you, you know where to find me. Just send me the information and I'll do it for you.  ;D
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Shadow Assassin

Mmm, I like how the lot looks. :P

It adds some much-needed greenery to the lot, while making it appropriate for use in an urban environment. Good job!
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!

M4346

Yes, I was torn in two because MEGA Schools like that are uncommon in South Africa, and even the urban schools here have a lot of open space, trees and greenery. So I tried to balance out the two.  :)

I didn't want to add too much greenery (it is after-all urban) and I didn't want the lot to be too busy and thus detract from the truly magnificent BAT. So I kept it clear and clean-cut (I think)  ;D

I fell in love with the BAT while LOTting and testing, it is really beautiful. The textures are so clean and clear, and the various details of the BAT is amazing. This deserves to be a special reward, and deserves to be in EVERY CAM city.  &apls &apls
New Horizons Productions

Shadow Assassin

The lot suits the school well.

But ditch those flags. :P (forgot to suggest that earlier)
New Horizons Productions
See my uploads on the LEX!

M4346

Ah, but as I've said in my LOT thread, the flags use the Peg OFMN mod, so you get the flag of your choice on the LOT.  ::)

The National Flag is a fixed feature on South African schools, that's why I added it.
New Horizons Productions

SimFox

well of course it is a matter of personal opinion and tastes, and I want to stress this before I start telling anything else. I sincerely hope it wouldn't be taken as an offense.

Few things with this lot don't sit well with me.
First of all those props that do not receive shadows. I think they either have to be edited to do so, or just left out altogether. That glow in the dark look is really distracting.
Also such a proliferation of round shapes doesn't sit well in the space their are put it. That is apart form that green patch (with road going around). even grass patches under the trees don't quite fit in (I guess partially because of the color  - same as trees themselves) but also they size and relevance to the location. But particular eyesoar is that stick on the circular base - not quite sure what is it - streetlight or something else. In the shadow they look really offensive and basically serve no purpose. I also don't like the use of all those potted plants. First of all they are grossly out of scale with anything in game. Second, again, totally irrelevant for the lot.
I also can not quite get logic according to which since it is an urban school there shouldn't be much of trees.
Generally about foliage placement I find it odd and unnatural that one at the time and spot approach. Unless you're on Versailles terrace trees tend to be grouped together and they crowns unite in one. Particularly in such a wet subtropical/almost tropical location like HK is, but also in most other places as well.
Lot is actually quite busy. You know it is not the total number of element s that make it so, but the variety and that the fact that they are all mismatched in terms of color, shape, brightness. Also that each pretends to be a thing on it's own  due to somewhat illogical and inconsistent placement.

I sorry, really am, if that is a very bitter reading, but I really think it is a true one. And I hope you'll not just get offended, but will either try to may be remedy some problems, or find your own reasons for things being the way they are and be also able to, say, wright them down here. Such a verbalization of a concept is a very important step as it helps you to create a structure and spot problems in the design, cause when you start pushing things in Lot editor it is easy to get lost with all the names and lists and tinny window in which you can not see overall effect.

M4346

Quote from: SimFox on October 28, 2007, 04:12:40 AMwell of course it is a matter of personal opinion and tastes

Exactly. ;)

There's always the LE for those who don't like it.
New Horizons Productions

bixel

well, the circles with the pole is the tether ball, however, I made the circular part -.25 so it shouldnt be raised, in this case M4346 raised it, perhaps accidently. It should be lowered almost level to the 0 line. The only reason I left the circle in there is to create a proper shadow for the prop. The bike racks do look pretty bad. I think M4346's LOTting is very nice, yet at the same time the early renders of the entire LOT BATted looks better. Perhaps I could rerender the BAT, as in the earlier version, take out the road and have the TE automata. But it would require some testing...howveer I still like M4346's LOTtin...I think this is worthy of uploading.

M4346

I say keep it as is Bixel. You've already devoted enough and considerable time and energy on this project and despite some people's constant fault-finding, it is perfect.

As I've said, there's always the LE for those who do not like the LOT, props and alternative schools for those who do not like the BAT. I and many others love the BAT and we are truly excited about it.  :thumbsup:

Also, I didn't raise the tether ball props, I just placed them and that is how they look. I also don't think there's anything wrong with them and they are more to-scale than the existing Maxis one.

I'll create a Readme, Installer and package today then, and have it sent to Tage.  :thumbsup:

And while I'm at it, let me reply about the HK Flag...

I'll include it as an optional file in the Zip (not the installer) that HK users can install (provided they understand its use and the need for the dependency). I don't want it to be installed automatically because I can just imagine countless people complaining about the HK flag showing up everywhere. So I'll link the PEG OFMN Mod and include the HK Flag as an optional extra for those who wish to use it.  ;D
New Horizons Productions

RippleJet

Quote from: M4346 on October 30, 2007, 01:29:28 AM
I'll create a Readme, Installer and package today then, and have it sent to Tage.  :thumbsup:

Highly appreciated, M! :thumbsup:

sebes

This is a great school, and imo it is very nicely lotted as well. I love the bike parkings. If this was a dutch school, probably the first 2 floors where bike parkings  ;)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN