• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Graphic Problems with Win7

Started by Rady, April 12, 2013, 10:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rady

Hello all,

I just reinstalled a fresh (bought and downloaded from Amazon) copy of SC4 Rush Hour, and now I am experiencing serious graphic troubles, as there are:

• the intro screen "flashes" (the animation, logo, etc. are displayed, then they vanish, then they are displayed again just like a "warning" sign
  • the region overview (from where you select the city tile to play) flickers
  • within the city tile, when scrolling, some props disappear (they appear again when I stop scrolling)

The latter is noted in the download's readme file, but however I'm curious if anyone encountered (and managed to solve) those problems.

I'm running Win7 64 bit (6.1) with an AMD Radeon HD7950 graphic card and DirectX 11.

And in addition, the F-keys for altering the terrain tools (size and effect) are not working, instead e.g. F1 removes the menu.

If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Shark7

Switching to software mode will eliminate the problems, so long as you are ok with the software renderer.

I had the same problem with a Radeon HD 7770 and swapping to software renderer fixed it.  Though it anyone does know a way to get the hardware rendering working with this, I'd love to know it as well.  I'd prefer hardware mode if possible.

APSMS

Quote from: Rady on April 12, 2013, 10:59:45 AM
Hello all,

I just reinstalled a fresh (bought and downloaded from Amazon) copy of SC4 Rush Hour, and now I am experiencing serious graphic troubles, as there are:

• the intro screen "flashes" (the animation, logo, etc. are displayed, then they vanish, then they are displayed again just like a "warning" sign
  • the region overview (from where you select the city tile to play) flickers
  • within the city tile, when scrolling, some props disappear (they appear again when I stop scrolling)

The latter is noted in the download's readme file, but however I'm curious if anyone encountered (and managed to solve) those problems.

I'm running Win7 64 bit (6.1) with an AMD Radeon HD7950 graphic card and DirectX 11.

And in addition, the F-keys for altering the terrain tools (size and effect) are not working, instead e.g. F1 removes the menu.

The F-keys adjust the menu. You have use shift+F# or shift+# (#=number) to adjust the size/effect of the terrain tools.
Did you make sure the game is patched? (I can see you've playing awhile, but better safe than sorry)

Not sure about the graphics issues (obviously #3 is here to stay-the single thread nature of the game makes it impossible to utilize modern computing power properly). I know my game will quiver (like an earthquake) in region view if I reach the edge of the map and the map is noticeably rectangular, but I've never had screen flickering issues (that didn't cause a crash, that is). Maybe make sure the game is running in DirectX mode?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

callagrafx

You don't have to run software mode, just use ALT-TAB to get back to the desktop, then click on the minimised SC4 icon in the bottom toolbar to bring the game back up.  It's caused by the game switching resolutions improperly or something...
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Rady

Hi all,

thanks for your help. After applying your suggestions, it seems I'm moving forward and back at the same time  :P

@ APSMS: LOL. You made me laugh. On myself, ofc. Only 1 and a half year of not playing this game, and already forgot so much  :D I applied the patch, but encountered a warning message:

"Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file content do not match"

The patcher then seems to go through the SimYity_x.dat files, and reports "SC4 has been updated to ...". However, I cannot see a change in the file date (explorer), so I guess no update has taken place? Is there any possibility to check the patch status of SC4?

As for software mode: I changed to software mode, which makes my game CTD when loading the city tile. I guess there's a thread on that around somewhere here, have to look for it.

And for the F-keys ... well, file it under "brain malfunction" ... I really thought it was F# and SHIFT-F# ..  $%Grinno$%

EDIT: I think I also need the Bldg_Props_Vol1 and Bldg_Props_Vol2 .. any idea where to find them? They don't seem to be available at Maxis/EA anymore...
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Shark7

Quote from: callagrafx on April 13, 2013, 04:21:45 AM
You don't have to run software mode, just use ALT-TAB to get back to the desktop, then click on the minimised SC4 icon in the bottom toolbar to bring the game back up.  It's caused by the game switching resolutions improperly or something...

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try and see what happens.  You learn something new every day.  :)

NCGAIO

Quote from: Rady on April 13, 2013, 05:09:55 AM

. However, I cannot see a change in the file date (explorer), so I guess no update has taken place? Is there any possibility to check the patch status of SC4?

Check the version of Simcity 4.exe. If  are it updated  then version 1.1.640.0 must be shown

EDIT: I think I also need the Bldg_Props_Vol1 and Bldg_Props_Vol2 .. any idea where to find them? They don't seem to be available at Maxis/EA anymore...

"$Deal"$  - Maxis Official Updates and Tools

Rady

Quote from: NCGAIO on April 13, 2013, 10:44:01 AM
"$Deal"$  - Maxis Official Updates and Tools

Thanks for the version hint - it seems to be patched. As for the Bldg_Props_* ... maybe it's me beeing a little stupid , but I can find only those things here:

• Lot Editor
  • BAT
  • and the Patch

but not the Bldg_Prop*?   %confuso

whatevermind

It's under the Lot Editor page. There's some lightly colored fine print that says that, but it's not the clearest.

Rady

Quote from: whatevermind on April 13, 2013, 07:41:55 PM
It's under the Lot Editor page. There's some lightly colored fine print that says that, but it's not the clearest.

Thanks, found it!