• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tile spacing

Started by deanva, July 23, 2013, 03:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanva

How many tile space should be between a runway and a parallel taxiway to look realistic? Should I use real world measurements for examples when designing the terminals etc. Any help would be appreciated. I have seen some nice looking realistic airports on here and Simtropolis and wondered what everyone used.

Indiana Joe

Many people build full-size for realism.  Real-life runways are several thousand meters long.  The shortest runway for a major airport would stretch across most of a medium city.  Since each game tile is 16 meters on a side:

- 62 tiles (1000 meters) would only do for a smaller, regional airport
- 124 tiles (2000 meters) is a short major runway
- 188 tiles (3000 meters) is long enough for most international airports

But since that takes up so much space, some people scale it down.  It's a matter of preference of course.  There should be at least 4 tiles between the runway and taxiway for airports handling big jets; farther is better.

SC4 custom runways come from the RMIP2 packs, available on the Simtropolis STEX.  (You need to get the older, outdated RMIP as well if you want wider, concrete runways).  Most people use the ACB VLT Terminal packs for basic terminals (also on the STEX).  There are several passenger and cargo plane sets, as well as other addons on various exchanges.  You have to do some hunting, and there will be a lot of dependencies (thought I'd warn you  :P)

The RMIP packs come with picture guides for the spacing of runway markings.

Happy...uh...airporting, I guess.  :thumbsup:

deanva

Thanks for the reply Indiana Joe, I have a lot of the stuff downloaded from the STEX and LEX. Was wondering what my fellow players did for inspiration when they designed their airports. Like using actual dimensions like from Google earth for length and depth of the buildings.

art128

Quote from: Indiana Joe on July 23, 2013, 04:08:19 PM
- 62 tiles (1000 meters) would only do for a smaller, regional airport
- 124 tiles (2000 meters) is a short major runway
- 188 tiles (3000 meters) is long enough for most international airports

Isn't the length of the runway basically made from what the airport "flying stock " are? like There are international flight that use smaller planes than 747.

For your first question, I usually use between 6 or 8 tiles spacing.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

j-dub

With that in mind, I hope people are doing their own private jobs in the Lot Editor, because formerly doing 190 so tiles plopped down individually for modular purpose, takes forever, and I still say compromised my former city tile, but I didn't have enough property available anyway.