• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Saving cleared a tile?

Started by Kitsune, September 20, 2013, 04:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune

So I saved and quit in sc4 earlier today.. and when I reloaded the region the tile was cleared. Now I do have weekly backups that run on Sunday - so not everything was lost, but I did loss about 4 hours of work. The file size looks normal, so I'm wondering if there is any way of rescuing it? Especially as I wont be having a day off for atleast a month or more... &mmm
~ NAM Team Member

Kitsune

I fixed it.. I opened both my backupped copy and the corrupted copy in notepad... changed the first line in the corrupted region to match that of my backupped copy, and it loaded perfectly ok with no lost work.
~ NAM Team Member

Indiana Joe

Wow; that's awesome.  I'd be very interested in any further research on this, however I guess it's not so easy to corrupt cities on demand.

TheOtherRick

Quote from: Indiana Joe on September 20, 2013, 06:52:34 PM
Wow; that's awesome.  I'd be very interested in any further research on this, however I guess it's not so easy to corrupt cities on demand.
^----------<< This! (re: further research) Could this be a possible rescue of CTD instances as well?

mrbisonm

Quote from: Kitsune on September 20, 2013, 05:42:05 PM
I fixed it.. I opened both my backupped copy and the corrupted copy in notepad... changed the first line in the corrupted region to match that of my backupped copy, and it loaded perfectly ok with no lost work.

Wait a minute ???.......what do you exactly mean by "the first line" ? The strange symbols? I have a few corrupted regions myself and this could help me to get them back.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

Kitsune

Quote from: mrbisonm on September 21, 2013, 07:10:14 AM
Quote from: Kitsune on September 20, 2013, 05:42:05 PM

Wait a minute ???.......what do you exactly mean by "the first line" ? The strange symbols? I have a few corrupted regions myself and this could help me to get them back.

Fred

Yes... those strange symbols. Seems the first line tells it whether or not the tile is existing or net new. I think what corrupts, or atleast one way of corrupting them is when the game cant generate a region view of the city. It then takes this as a plain tile and kaputs the city and terrain. I also know from diving into these files, the last 20 or so lines were identical in both files. It also seems this first line varies from city to city.
~ NAM Team Member

lostwizard

When you say the tile went blank, do you mean you just got a blank tile for a single city in the region view? If so, did you try just loading the city anyway? I've had single tiles go blank in the region view once or twice but the cities themselves were fine when I loaded them. The next save usually fixes the region view.

I've noticed this usually happens when shifting the focus away from Simcity 4 while it is saving a city.

Kitsune

Quote from: lostwizard on September 21, 2013, 11:35:51 AM
When you say the tile went blank, do you mean you just got a blank tile for a single city in the region view? If so, did you try just loading the city anyway? I've had single tiles go blank in the region view once or twice but the cities themselves were fine when I loaded them. The next save usually fixes the region view.

I've noticed this usually happens when shifting the focus away from Simcity 4 while it is saving a city.

In region view it was blank, and the only option was to start a new city.. and it did start a new city. The file size clearly showed that the city was intact though... and thats why I went hunting for a way to fix it.
~ NAM Team Member