• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

P.R. Crastina's Travels

Started by evarburg, October 06, 2018, 07:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbieniu7

Nice! I repeat after Matt, this plaza around the gallery looks pleasant with this pattern :) Also, the church is an interesting addition, seems like a unchanged witness in a dynamically changing neighbourhood.

Btw, I feel like we have some more order compared to previous updates  ;D

PS. What is that black and grass-roofed building at this photo? Could you give some hint where to find it, please? :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

evarburg

Thank you.  ("Order in the city, order !" -- hammer banging  :P )

the green-roofed one ... Ah. Let me spelunk into my SC4 Stash (remember, all these CJs are from way back then.)

FOUND IT  ! (my filing system works, sometimes...) : it's the Center For The Performing [Preforming, hum] Arts by Xiloxadoria. https://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27885-center-for-the-preforming-arts/

evarburg

P. R.'s long week-end in Zinfandel was coming to a close, the buzz of the Big City was getting too loud for her country girl's ears. She was ready to leave, with a jumble of impressions stored in her mind (and camera). First and foremost : that city is almost infuriatingly clean, Switzerland-like clean. There was even a time when both its dumps were clean, though they partly process the garbage of Eden Bay -- there was talk of closing the big one down, but it would have been silly, so the Mayor stood firm. It made for Once-In-a-Lifetime pictures for the city Archives, though ; and people really don't mind living near.

They also don't mind living close to the waterworks, for that matter :

A last visit to the Central Balthazar Market, where one can find hundreds of delicious regional products ; it's close to the bunkery Courthouse (and its historical Archives) and to the university.

There are two rail stations in Zinfandel, the East Market station, the first one in Zinfandel when it was just a rather small town ; the market has disappeared but the name stayed.

And now the main one, Central Station, where people of a nocturnal bend can have a drink at any hour : it never closes).

And that's from there that P. R., not bright-eyed and bushy-tailed but having secured an invitation to come back for lectures and workshops, went back home -- she snored all the way back and almost missed her stop. Big Cities are exhausting.

PaPa-J

Nice entry.  Tell P.R. that I'm just as tired as she is.  LOL
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

evarburg

Did you ever have a city run away from you? Sandboxing to find new combos of buildings, rooting in your stash ("Hey, I never used this !") to see what works, what doesn't, what needs to be added, what is too weedy... and while it grows, you add this, you add that... and you end up with a full big or medium tile. Well, it happened to me too. Of course, I also ended up falling in love with that test city, and am now inflicting it on you. I had just become able to get night lights, going from Mac to a virtual Windows on a partition. I had not subdued Windows yet, as you'll notice if you look at the picts' bottom right corner (don't look too long!) and I was out of control, so lots and lots of night pictures ! Cities at night are magic...

Among all the cities and towns visited par P. R. in her travels, Poutine City is certainly so far the most utilitarian: a no-nonsense, daily-grind kind of city. Not actually a city in itself but the creeping Eastern borough of a larger metropolis, Caraway. Poutine is not even its real name (it is Caraway East), but that's what the inhabitants call it, because it developed quite quickly and a lot of people had to be housed fast, so the Mayor wanted un-fancy and sturdy : lots of prefabs and concrete buildings jammed together on a grid, the most people in the smaller space for your buck. Of course, with time, a few higher-end buildings sprouted up here and there. And there are still all the amenities: schools, sport fields, a rather pretty little city hall, a hospital (Poutine is home to 250 000 people), some commercial places, some industries linking it to Caraway West's industrial zone ; and even a few places where the citizens can breathe and relax at the end of a dutifully busy day, like the peaceful Bon Secours Church cemetery, or the Zoo (a small, urban affair, but the kiddies like it) ; or Windy Park – thrice windy, P. R. was told : named after the Mayor's daughter, no straight lines in sight and always sporting a refreshing breeze (yeah, I know ; the daughter's name is Wendy, of course ; but the Poutinians like bad wordplay).

evarburg

I had a grandiose region planned and half-filled when it crashed, aaargh etc.. Fortunately, I had taken lots of pictures of the center piece city, which was to be the skyscrapers runamok part of it – the rest was suburbs low and medium, and agri galore. I was very happy with that city, (hence the numerous picts) because I'd managed to grow a lot of skyscrapers I'd never grown before (Altura Tower ! Paeng-P4 !! Big residentials !!!). I'd named it Gardine, because I didn't want it to be just a porcepic of a city, I wanted it to have breathing spaces -- as many as I could, parks big and small, parkings, whatever. And last but not least, I was still in the happy daze of being able to have night lights ! I'd also discovered how to make the magic flying carpet pictures (alas, it doesn't work too well for night ones...)

----------------------

Gardine is a booming city, with mostly high tech, high paying industries cheek to jowl with residentials and commercials, and quite close to downtown.