• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Exporting greyscale - all black?

Started by emilin, September 20, 2007, 06:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilin

I tried the exporting to 16b greyscale option in the terraformer, but the picture rendered is all black. Any ideas as to why it doesn't work?

I use Photoshop as my picture editing program so reading the png shouldn't be an issue.

Any help is appriciated!

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

beskhu3epnm

The image is not necessarily black. If you turn up the contrast of your monitor, you will see the details. The reason for this, is the 16bit PNG image has 65535 depths of grey versus 255 for standard 8bit images.

In SC4TF, the scale used to measure this is 0.1m per greyscale notch (to 6000m, then a cap is placed). This allows you to keep the resolution very fine, unlike JPEGs.

Sea level would then be 250/65535, equivalent to less than 11/255 (nearly black to your eyes). If your map maxes out at an elevation of 1000m, it would still appear very dark to the naked eye, @ 42.5/255 (dark grey). If your entire map is fairly close to sea level, you will likely never see the detail on it just by looking at the greyscale.

To the contrary, your image will appear white at elevations of 6000m, you can try this if you require verification.

So everything is fine, no worries!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

emilin

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine