• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Buddybuds Expansive Attempts at Anything & Everything.

Started by buddybud, November 12, 2007, 03:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_a_guy

Those switches look great with the new texture. And I see you've added railings too.

Oh and thanks for the quick reply on my question above.
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

deathtopumpkins

Looking great, Bud! I think you got that texture down nicely now. :thumbsup:
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

CaptCity

Wonderful effort... Super textures... Great job!

tag_one

Nice job Buddy :thumbsup: Can't wait for the release!
btw, would you mind writing a tutorial about how you did all these magical things and share your knowledge with us ;) 

buddybud

thanx everyone

Quotebtw, would you mind writing a tutorial about how you did all these magical things and share your knowledge with us
Tag, there's lots going on in the mod so it would take some time for me to do. I've used many different modding techniques combined so i would have to cover numerous topics. Feel free to ask more specific questions if you want until i can put something on paper...  :satisfied:

heres the old progress chart

and heres the latest pieces...almost done.

after the next six pieces i'll then incorporate the sidewalk mod portion.

Bud

BigSlark

Amazing work, Bud! I can't wait to try these guys out!  :thumbsup:

Do you have any plans of adding signaling and electrical gear to the deck?

Cheers,
Kevin

buddybud

hey kevin, thanx

i would love to but don't know anything about it to be honest. The only thing i planned on around now was this pic of a bumper i found. I would appreciate any other suggestions or examples. It's something we can start looking into. I know swamper did some fine 3ds signal props...they may be appropriate.

Cheers bud

edit....progress

buddybud

Almost done all the rush hour components!....I've been slowed down by the highway intersections. The shadows are implemented differently for these pieces and its requiring me to make individual textures for these puzzle pieces. Got some seams i gotta take care of. Also the model supports on the medium need some tweaking....but it's almost there. Just the avenue and railroad after this.

Bud

choco

man, thats lookin good!  :thumbsup:

think i could ask a couple questions about the shadows?  id like to do some shadows myself, but haven't been successful..... :)

SimNation

Cannot wait to get my elevated rail system a nice visual update. (When I get my downtown built anyway). Looking fantastic

buddybud

Thankyou marcszar and SimNation.....

Quote from: choco on March 20, 2009, 07:40:58 AM
think i could ask a couple questions about the shadows?  id like to do some shadows myself, but haven't been successful..... :)

Hi choco!  Thanx for asking an easy question!

The shadows for all the pieces except the highway are done as follows. (i've only tried this with the elrail and swamper provided the initial information)

first you need your shadow. Create a network texture using black solid box and a alpha as seen below for the straight piece. (note+ the final texture will appear as a solid black texture but don't be fooled!)

give your created texture the same instance as the piece you want it to be a shadow of and then give it a group of "2bc2759a" .....thats it. (above example would become   7AB50E44  2BC2759A  08031504    ) also you need a texture for each zoom level or your model. I"m not sure but i think you can also use gradients of gray to get fading shadows also....but i haven't really attempted that. Oh...and i also use a black and white pallet when creating these to avoid weird pixels.

The highway pieces have painted on shadows and cut models cause thats how maxis did it. I assume because the bottom of the highway is roughly 1m off the ground and the shadows won't project onto it. For this i simply replaced the existing highway shadow texture with my own, with a new unique instance of course :P

Anyways good luck...

Bud

choco

her ya go, bud...... ;)

for anyone else: the file attached below is a basic bridge with no models.....not really worth much right now.  :)

BigSlark

Great work, Bud. Keep it up, I know that the entire community is at the edge of their seat in anticipation of this mod!  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Kevin

just_a_guy

Awesome work Bud, it seems your almost finished. Just a little more. Good luck and cheers!
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

buddybud

Just seeing if i can make something decent with the 256x256 textures....not sure, what ya think...tried to add a bit of detail and a third rail.

old 128 at top 256 at bottom. a bit fuzzy i think hmmm &mmm

deathtopumpkins

256 looks a bit too fuzzy too me.  %wrd

But I like the third rail and other details you added!  :thumbsup:
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

sithlrd98

Yeah , something looks a little odd...But like DTP said , I also like the extra details!

Jayson

BigSlark

&dance

Yes, the 256 textures are just that good...

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Kevin

superhands

looking good. it might involve changing the flags in the s3d/texture roll out or maybe not $%Grinno$%

beutelschlurf

moin buddybud,

that looks so much better and more 3d! :thumbsup:
nice step forward
well done!

b_schlurf