• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NHP Mini Maps Series - Coastal Theme - NEED YOUR VOTE !

Started by wouanagaine, January 15, 2008, 02:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What mini maps you'd like to see in the Coastal Pack

Coastal Map 1
8 (25%)
Coastal Map 2
4 (12.5%)
Coastal Map 3
11 (34.4%)
Coastal Map 4
8 (25%)
Green Creeks
21 (65.6%)
Krateria
7 (21.9%)
TributeToBesk
23 (71.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closed: January 28, 2008, 11:51:04 PM

wouanagaine

The New Horizons Production Team Needs Your Vote!

Currently, the NHP team has been hard at work in their laboratories creating custom mini-maps for a pack to be released to the general community. Entries have been compiled by nearly every member of the team into three categories. Land, coastal, and Island themes.

As a community member, we request that you take some time to browse through the selection of mini maps on display in this thread, then vote accordingly on which 3 maps you believe would best represent the package. One mini-map package will be released based on your vote.

The vote will remain open for 7 days!

Thank you in advance for browsing our catalogue of maps. We've been at this for nearly a month, and have put some pretty good efforts forth. All maps are NHP member created, using the latest in map making technologies. You'll be able to spot out certain member's characteristics, but you will not know who the map author is until the map is released in the pack!

Time to vote   ()stsfd()

And don't forget to look in the 2 others mini maps themes:
Land Theme
Island Theme

Coastal Map 1
Size: 1025x1025
Config:  4x4 lrg tiles
png/sc4m file size: 917kb/871kb

Coastal Map 2
png/sc4m file size: 846kb/915kb 

Coastal Map 3
png/sc4m file size: 951kb/907kb

Coastal Map 4
png/sc4m file size: 753kb/878kb

Green Creeks
png/sc4m file size: 733kb/913kb

Krateria
Size: 513x513
Config:  2x2 lrg tiles
png/sc4m file size: 152kb/122kb

TributeToBesk
Size: 513x513
Config:  2x2 lrg tiles
png/sc4m file size: 275kb/257kb

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

wouanagaine

there are some votes

Please be kind to post your opinon when voting, we'd like to have some feedback guys

New Horizons Productions

rooker1

Coastal Map 1, Coastal Map 3, TributeToBesk, these were my picks from this group.
Coastal Map 1, I my opinion 4x4 large squares is a big map.  This is the biggest size that I have ever worked on.  This map offers alot of places to build cities with ralative ease.  I'm not to big on hilly terrains when I biuld my cities.  So this one appeals to me beacause of this.  I would like to see the first row be medium sized squares as well as the ones that would be completley water so as to make the shore better positioned in the large square tile.
Coastal Map 3, Again, relativley flat in most areas and a beautiful shoe line.  But as above, I would like to see the large squares moved back a little to better position the shore line inside a large square.
TributeToBesk, I wouldn't actuall use this map for my use.  But it is damn beautiful and it is a tribute to Besk after all.  ;)

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

existenz

Ok I voted Coastal 1 and 3, and Tribute to Besk. I am new to SC4/RH so the few maps I have worked on tend to be rather flat. At least until I get better at the game. Also I agree that pushing back the tiles in order to have more seaport sounds good to me.Vote for Besk Tribute because it is a damm fine map and I would probably attempt it if I had played since 2004/2005. But they are all great maps. Well done.
Annie

beskhu3epnm

Thank you Robin and existenz for your comments. We really do appreciate it, as it validates our hard work!

wouanagaine mentioned in another thread that the packages will contain PNG's as well as SC4M's (an NHP first) to accomodate different config sizes (easier to adjust PNG's).

With the custom config sizes, Robin's views concerning proper placement of shorelines becomes much easier. The first coastal maps follow similar themes using the same methods, so they would be user preference entirely. This is one of the reasons we wanted to go for a vote!

Keep the votes/comments coming in!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

jeronij

I voted Green Creeks because I think it is the most balanced.... and just when I was hiting the submit button... I saw I had three choices...  ::)  :D :D
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

jestarr

My picks are 1, 3, and tribute to Besk.  My reasons:  1 and 3, while still having mountains/hilly areas, aren't excessively so.  I like to do most of my development on flatter land, but like a few mountains for preserve areas, etc.  Tribute to Besk is a beautiful map!  I may not use it, but I sure like the way it looks. :D

wouanagaine

Yes I won't pretend Tribute to Besk is easy :)

(edit by beskhu3epnm - spelled the shortform of my name wrong??!!)

New Horizons Productions

High5Tower

Green Creeks   Good coast for lite industry. Farming in the valley area.  Maybe a Mediteranean type theme so I could take advantage of all the great Mediteranean custom content that is available.

Krateria   Could be a great cattle ranch type of country side. Open grassland areas with remote grazing pasturelands.

Tribute To Besk   A ski resort theme. Big forest right down to the coast with cabins in the woods. One mountain lodge town. And of course hydronics under the pedestrian mall sidewalks.

blade2k5

rooker1 - Thanks for the votes and the comments.  Re-arranging the city tiles will be no problem what-so-ever :thumbsup:  Only thing is, you'll get 16 medium tiles and 8 large.

existenz - Thanks for the votes and the comments.  The configs for the coastal maps can easily be re-arranged.

jeronij - thanks for the votes and the comments.  What were the other two you voted for?  :P

jestarr - Thanks for the comments and votes. 

Hight5Tower - Thanks for the comments and votes.  Excellent ideas for the three choices you made, though it seems every time I sim a map, I can never keep it 'rural' or small, always ends up being a dense metro area :P

Thanks again to all those that have voted and left feedback for us.  Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

Pat

• Coastal Map 3 <-------- Just wicked and looks like a blast...
  • Green Creeks <-------- easy to build a port here and also i love the large city tiles allows for more growth
  • TributeToBesk <-------- good for higher elevation and a real challenge to add ports along that coast...

NB: had to add # 3 to coastal lol whoopsie.........

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

Coastal Map 4 --> That's a wonderful landscape with water!
Green Creeks  --> Also fantastic landscape with water!
TributeToBesk --> The mountain is looking great!!

Others are of course also fantastic, but the three above are in my view the best one of these.

just a question: why you can see the total votes here after you vote and at the other two polls not???

wouanagaine

Quote from: bat on January 28, 2008, 06:24:15 AM
just a question: why you can see the total votes here after you vote and at the other two polls not???
Because I setup the poll this way, as I think it is more fair, and give a little more fun and expectation until the closing day :)

Anyway thanks for your inputs, they will give us some directions for future maps  :thumbsup:

New Horizons Productions

Ennedi

For me:

1. Coastal Map 3 - maybe the most natural from this group (Coastal Map 1-4)
2. Green Creeks - Jeronij is right, it is very balanced, in addition the shoreline is fantastic to build many bridges  ;D
3. Tribute to Besk - Great map, but it will be a lot of work with it  :D

Other maps are very good too!
For example Krateria looks a bit strange because of these perfectly flat surfaces, but it will look completely different (and much more interesting) if somebody will start to fill these areas by cities and farmlands. Small rocky ranges will look perfect between cities, fields and forests.

It's very difficult to create both realistic and playable map - these goals are often opposite

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

wouanagaine

Ah Krateria :)
It is a special experimentation, which turn to an 'easy' playable map, not as good looking as others, but certainly easier. Which totally goes with your remark
It's very difficult to create both realistic and playable map - these goals are often opposite

New Horizons Productions

krbe

Yes! I picked the winners! (map 3, Green Creeks, Tirbute to Besk)

sebes

Tribute to Besk; the high mountains with snow in combination with the sea... always appealing to me.

And because I have to pick 2 more I believe:

Coastal 3; it somehow reminds to the Paarl-Stellenbosch-Strand area in S.Africa.

Coastal 2; a bit like 3, but with some less variation.
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

vester

My vote went to Tribute To Besk. There were no other that I would pick out.

beskhu3epnm

The results are in, and the coastal theme will be represented by the following 3 maps:

Tribute to Besk
Green Creeks
Coastal Map 3

Let's take some time to see who the authors of each map are:

Coastal Map 1 - blade2k5
Coastal Map 2 - blade2k5
Coastal Map 3 - blade2k5
Coastal Map 4 - blade2k5
Green Creeks - wouanagaine
Krateria - wouanagaine
TributeToBesk - wouanagaine

Yes, wouanagaine made a tribute to me, being a mountainous map. But that's backwards, I should be doing a tribute to him, as I would have never made a decent map without his programs... :-[ :-[ :-[

The packaging will be coming to a LEX near you!!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine