• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rob's ghetto!!!

Started by tragicomicus1, October 27, 2008, 02:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tragicomicus1

Hi SC4dvotees,
I used to be pretty active at ST a few years ago. I was starting to get halfway decent at modeling and a bit of texturing. Then RL kicked in and I had less time. Couple that with a major computer crash (lost my whole hard drive) and what you get is a guy that doesn't feel like messing with it anymore.
Well, now I have some time (and a new computer) so I dusted off my old sc4 disc and downloaded the BAT. I was pleased to see that my inactivity hadn't gotten me kicked off the NDEX team so I figured I might as well try to earn the tag. So without further adieu....
I really like the grungy look of Glenni's and Gascooker's BATs. I'm pretty good with Photoshop so if I can figure out UVW maps and sub-object modeling and texturing I might be able to do some work that is close to par with those guys. Maybe not. Guess we'll see.
Rob

RippleJet

Quote from: tragicomicus1 on October 27, 2008, 02:56:37 PM
Hey,
I think I will start small with some midwestern style w2w bats that you might see on main street in many small towns in America. Screenshots will be forthcoming.

I'll be looking forward to them, and welcome to Devotion, T! :thumbsup:

tragicomicus1

Well,
As promised here is a screenshot of the latest thing I started working on. It's your typical low-rise office building that you might find in the midwest. It's pretty bland I know. I need to dirty up the textures and add some detail (there isn't even a back wall yet). I have found that bouncing between 3ds max and gmax works for me as far as doing things I can't in the BAT. I tried the BAT4MAx thing but I guess I am not smart enough to figure it out.

Shiftred

Welcome back. I like your current direction in buildings. We always need more Main Street W2W.   :satisfied:

Yoder7652

I think I remember you...aren't you from Indiana? If I remember right...Kokomo? Seems I recall such a conversation on ST. I am originally from Kokomo myself. Are the w2w's going to based on downtown?

tragicomicus1

Ha, Good memory Yoder!!! Yeah, I am from K-town. And no, not specifically based on Kokomo.At least not any RL buildings. Although the old Armstrong London Building would be pretty easy to BAT. Just the architectural style. It suits my limited BATting skills  :P. I am curious to see the response to the idea. So far it has been positive.

tragicomicus1

Here is an updated pic of my latest creation. A little realism with an old coke ad fading with the years....

spa

Not a bad start. It looks to me like your building might be a tad large over all.

Pat

wow another great returns!!! sweet that building is looking good there with the ad fadding away....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tragicomicus1

Think so? It should fit on a 2x3 lot. Here is a ss from the perspective viewport.

I dunno... Maybe. I was never very good at the whole scale thing. Are there any general rules of thumb? I inserted some people and they are approx 3 meters tall.

Pat

I think so T I have some of your stuff!!! about the people I dunno I heard something about the scale around here was TBD about 2.5 or something like that I dont know for sure but maybe Tage or Lee could better let you know for sure on that!! Otherwise I like the progress...

~~~Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

tragicomicus1

HA!!!! You see in my sim world people are 9 and a half feet tall. I have to make the buildings HUGE so they can fit inside. But, seriously I scaled it down. It looks more realistic now but tiny....

RippleJet

Quote from: tragicomicus1 on October 31, 2008, 07:52:36 PM
It looks more realistic now but tiny....

Plop some of spa's buildings next to it in the game to get an idea of the accuracy of your scale.
Not only the scale of the whole building, but especially the vertical scale.

In RL modern houses and offices have a ceiling height of around 2.5 m (8'3").
Add half a metre of trusswork to that and you get a floor spacing of 3 m (10').
Old §§§ buildings usually are taller, and the first floor in a commercial building is always taller than the upper ones.

For buildings in the game not to look squashed, the vertical scale needs to be stretched some 130...150%
In other words, a 3 m floor spacing would mean some 4 to 4.5 m in the game.
That would fit the 10 ft tall in-game people, who are also stretched vertically.

Your building does look like it would fit well on a 1×2 lot though.
If the width is now 16 m, you might want to stretch the building vertically to get a floor spacing of at least 4 m.

Finally, I like the brick texture on the side, but I think it's too fine. How does it look in the game?

tragicomicus1

Here is an ingame shot after a test render. Good suggestions about the scale. I think however this BAT might end up as a "warm up" kind of thing. I am not happy with it really. But it has served as a nice refresher to GMAX. Might make part of a w2w prop pack. I plopped it next to some of JbSimio's "Smalltown USA" bats and it matches up pretty well scale wise.

tragicomicus1

Here's a sneak peek at something I've been tinkering with.

RippleJet

Quote from: tragicomicus1 on November 05, 2008, 10:42:43 PM
I think however this BAT might end up as a "warm up" kind of thing. I am not happy with it really. But it has served as a nice refresher to GMAX.

Good purpose! :thumbsup:

Quote from: tragicomicus1 on November 06, 2008, 10:57:40 AM
Here's a sneak peek at something I've been tinkering with.

Raising my head to take a look at the ground floor... Naw, the image wasn't 3D... $%Grinno$%

tragicomicus1

Ha, yeah I was short on time earlier and didn't have time to "mosaic" the pic. I'll update it in a bit. I need to figure out the BAT4MAX stuff so I can just use that. I read the tutorial but.... Is there a newer version of that somewhere. The only one I found was on stex.

callagrafx

Simfox has done some minor tweaks to it and his is available on STEX...Chris Adams has also done some major enhancements, but has yet to release them, and unfortunately has gone MIA.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

tragicomicus1

Yeah, I found it. Unfortunately I am using max 2009 and there are apparently still some compatability issues. I am sure I could find someone to render for me if I model in 3ds max....

Until they get those things worked out I will just use gmax. I can still use 3dsmax for things like lattice and poly editing though and just import into gmax.

tragicomicus1

Here are a couple of pics of the new Skyscraper I have been working on.....