• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SWAP lots don't display properly

Started by IRW13, November 21, 2008, 10:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IRW13

Just installed the AC airports pack.  Looks amazing, but when I try to plop the SWAP small/medium terminals, jetway, hub, or walkway I just get a lot-sized piece of tarmac with no building on it.  I'm pretty sure that I downloaded all the dependencies.  What could I be missing?  Thanks

RippleJet

You probably miss the dependencies that weren't listed in the Readme.
This is quoted from the stickied Support Thread:

Quote from: RippleJet on September 15, 2008, 05:45:50 AM
I just rechecked the readme and the cleanitol file, and I have to admit that two essential model packs are listed in the Cleanitol file, but not in the Readme... &ops
The following files should have been listed in the Readme as well:

IRW13

FrankU

RippleJet,

Sorry to say so, but I have the same problem as IRW13. I downloaded the AC pack yesterday. I also downloaded all the neccesary dependencies. After having finished the installation I ran Cleanitol.
It said I missed the "BSCMegaProps - JES Vol05.dat", but that is a small flaw in the cleanitol file;
the dependency is called "BSC Mega Props - JES Vol05.dat". Mind the spaces!

But after having plopped the SWAP terminals I just got this:

and

and

and

and

etc.

There seems to be missing some textures and some props.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong? As far as I know I do not have outdated dependecies on my disk. And I checked the list several times.

BarbyW

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

RippleJet

The SWAP package has only two dependencies; bldgprop_vol1.dat and AC MEGA Props - Vol 01.dat.

bldgprop_vol1.dat can be downloaded under Support Files.

You need to read and accept Maxis' EULA by clicking I Accept the terms --> proceed to Maxis Tools and Updates.
After that you will see four sections, the first one of which is Lot Editor.
The explanation to the right of the says "bldgprop_vol1.dat and bldgprop_vol2.dat are available in this section".

If Cleanitol says you've got that file, then you need to check your City Details (under Graphic Settings in the game) and make sure they are set to "high".

FrankU

BarbyW, RippleJet,

Sure, I have all the dependecies that were listed in the readme (and a lot more...). And detail setting is high.
That's why I started wondering what could be wrong.
Do you have pictures where I can see what the lots are supposed to look like? Maybe I can then find out by myself?

Swamper77

After some poking around, I've figured out what the problem is. Maxis did not make props of every building, so there aren't prop versions of some of the reward buildings. Raphael made a fix for that long ago and it appears that this fix was used on the lots. You can get the missing plugin file from SimTrop's Modds & Downloads section: Plugin Landmark Props.

Missing in particular is the convention center building as a prop for quite a few of the SWAP terminals. Downloading the file from the above link will make it show up. You'll have to bulldoze the lots and replop them after downloading the linked file for the lots to appear correctly. If props are missing when you place a lot and you install the required files afterwards, the missing props stay missing until the lot is replopped or grows again.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

BarbyW

Thanks for solving that mystery, Swamper. I don't use those so had never noticed that things were missing and just went by the dependency lists we had.

FrankU

Quote from: Swamper77 on February 11, 2009, 10:35:36 PM
After some poking around, I've figured out what the problem is. Maxis did not make props of every building, so there aren't prop versions of some of the reward buildings. Raphael made a fix for that long ago and it appears that this fix was used on the lots. You can get the missing plugin file from SimTrop's Modds & Downloads section: Plugin Landmark Props.

Missing in particular is the convention center building as a prop for quite a few of the SWAP terminals. Downloading the file from the above link will make it show up. You'll have to bulldoze the lots and replop them after downloading the linked file for the lots to appear correctly. If props are missing when you place a lot and you install the required files afterwards, the missing props stay missing until the lot is replopped or grows again.

-Swamper

Ah, so this file is a kind of "bldgprop_vol3"! I indeed never downloaded it, but now just did. So it should be added to the dependecies list.

And the second part of your answer is very informative, although I thought already that this was the case.

Some time ago I tried to control what housing types would grow; I put all Dutch files I had (Haarlemmergold, Ten Doornkaat, etc) into my plugins folder and grew a neighbourhood with them. I made the lots historical. Then I moved them out, moved Simgoober's housing in and grew a neighbourhood with these housing. Of course I could, at that moment, see that the Dutch props were missing.
No problem, I thought: when the neighbourhood is finished I will move the Dutch plugins back and then I will see all lots completely. But I was wrong. I never saw the props come back. What a pity!

Since then I gave up to build a neigbourhood with just one type of housing. It is not possible.

Swamper77

It is sort of like a "bldgprop_vol3", but not quite. It just contains a few prop exemplars and it isn't an official file.

The reason it wasn't mentioned previously is probably because "it looks like Maxis, so it must be Maxis". SC4Tool would have shown it as dependency, but I don't think anyone had an idea of how to use the dependency scanner or just didn't care to.

Sometimes, I think I know way too much about the game and the related files &mmm

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

BarbyW

FrankU - I have BSCMegaProps - JES Vol05.dat in my folder and have not changed the name from the one installed.

RippleJet

I also double-checked that the 5th mega pack by Jestarr is indeed named without the spaces...
...maybe someone has renamed the file on your hard disk, FrankU? ::)

Quote from: FrankU on February 12, 2009, 04:10:37 AM
Ah, so this file is a kind of "bldgprop_vol3"! I indeed never downloaded it, but now just did. So it should be added to the dependecies list.

And it has been added to the readme and the Cleanitol list for AC Functional Airports 2.0.
Thanks Swamper, I owe you another one! :thumbsup:

FrankU

Quote from: RippleJet on February 12, 2009, 03:11:25 PM
I also double-checked that the 5th mega pack by Jestarr is indeed named without the spaces...
...maybe someone has renamed the file on your hard disk, FrankU? ::)

Yes, if the filename was correct it must have been me. Noone else plays or works with my computer. And I indeed do have some neatness-disorder and was probably irritated by the fact that the files were not named exactly the same way. Later I realised that renaming would make the Cleanitol useless and stopped the habit. Never thought of renaming back. I guess I should do that now.

Anyway, I did not have time to check the results, but I am sure everything will be fine now. Thank you all very much.

RippleJet

Quote from: FrankU on February 14, 2009, 04:38:33 AM
And I indeed do have some neatness-disorder and was probably irritated by the fact that the files were not named exactly the same way.

Sounds like me... I also used to rename certain BSC mega packs...
...for the sake of consistency, but that was before the age of Cleanitol... ::)