• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

From GSU to BAT/MAX | Checklist and tutorial

Started by ehbk2006, February 08, 2009, 02:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehbk2006

Here's a short tutorial for converting Google Sketchup Models to the BAT or 3dsMax.

What do you need:

• Google Sketchup Pro
  • The BAT or 3dsMax

Plan de campagne:

Step 1:

First use a proper modeling dimension for instance I always use millimeters. To set the units for your model (Window => Model Info => Units)

Step 2:

Build your model.

Step 3:

Check or all white faces are on the outside, all the purple ones need to be in the inside.

Use reverse faces or orient faces. Reverse faces reveres one face, orient faces can them all at ones.

Step 4:

If you textured your model, you need to check your textures. All the textures need to be in .bmp format and the name of the texture can't be longer than 8 characters. This way the textures will be exported and imported without any problems.

Make sure the top of the window is the same name as the name before the .bmp in the text box.

Note: If you are using materials GSU will export these automatically, though the name can't be longer then 8 characters.

Note2: You can't export transparent materials from GSU. Though you can export transparent colors.

Note3: When exporting from GSU to the BAT all colors get brighter, so make your colors a bit darker if this happends.

Step 5:

If all above is true, you can export it as a .3ds model. ((1 => 2 => 3)

4) Click on options
5) Copy settings, use the unit from step 1.
6) Click on OK and save it in the same directory as the textures and the .skp model.

Step 6:

Import your model in 3dsmax or the BAT.

Copy settings and check Convert units.

Check or the textures work by making a test render in Gmax or the BAT.

Checklist:

• Units
  • Faces
  • Textures/Colors

References:

http://www.pumastudios.nl/gtuts/onderdelen/su3ds.html

Enjoy and have fun.  :thumbsup:
My BAT Showcase: ehbk2006's traffic BAT's
My sketchup models on the 3d warehouse.
[RDY]: Veolia - Coal hopper + E189

TheTeaCat

Very nice clear tutorial.
Thanks for finding and translating this  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II