• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

River's End - and other rural areas (Update 3 - November 27th, 2007)

Started by keyboardconfessional, November 11, 2007, 11:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardconfessional

Hi everyone...it's been a long time since I've done one of these, so please bear with me.  :) I have to go to work at 3:00, so I don't have much time, so I'm just posting one picture as a starter today. It's just a sample of the kind of areas I'll be showing in here. There will be a storyline coming up soon as well, so stay tuned for that, and have a great day!  ;D

Harvest time in River's End is always the busiest time of year. The trucks pull in and out, the merchants stock all the fresh produce and the few residents of the north end reap the benefits. Goods are sometimes hard to come by on the other side of the river, but not during harvest time.
Visit my MD - RIVER'S END.

sincitybaby

Nice Rural Area's

I'm far to lazy to get nice farms.  ;)

I'll be watching.  ()stsfd()

bat

That's a really good picture there!

Looking forward to more...

jayo

The hilly road is abit unconvincing,other than that,great start  :thumbsup:
I'm back

sebes

Nice colors!! Good luck, looking forward to your story  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

keyboardconfessional

Replies:

sincitybaby: I'm really lazy too...it took a lot of work to get all the dependencies in order. It's so worth it, though...those BSC farms are amazing. Thanks for the comment.

bat: Thank you! There's more to come where that came from. I'm just getting started.

jayo: I can't say realism is one of my strengths. :D I'm really more an eye-candy kind of person, and I'm not even too good at that! Thanks for the comment.

sebes: Thanks! I'm using IrfanView for some elementary effects, I hope everyone enjoys them. Thanks a lot for commenting.

Alright, so it's update time! I decided to jump right into the story arc I'm doing, so I hope you guys enjoy reading it. I look forward to your comments and constructive criticism, have a great night!

My name is Brian Dell'Erede, and I live on this island. Dickens' Cove, Faulkner County, population 142.

My family and I live in this brick home just off the main drag of Dickens' Cove, if you could even call it that. The main drag...when you've only got three streets in your entire town, there really isn't much choice.

This is where I spend most of my time: Christopher's Coffee House, a local landmark since 1956. You can grab a quiet corner table, sip a latté and plot your escape. Chat with Rachel, the long time manager, and hear her take on the outside world. Or just mingle with your friends, because there's always somebody you know at Christopher's.

For all of the seventeen years I've been around, I can always remember wanting to get out of Dickens' Cove, where the sea seems to be always holding you back. The shorebound train comes once a week, and with every week that goes by, I become a little more convinced I'm going to catch it one day.

TheTeaCat

Nice start you made here :thumbsup:. wonderful little island and story to go with it  &apls

I'll be keeping an eye out for this ;)

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Pat

Hey Keyboardconfessionals: you have a great start here to your MD... Loving the rural feel to it... I cant wait to see the devolpment of this.... - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Good start, creative story, and nice work on the pics. This is off to a good start, and I'll be keeping an eye on its progress.

bat

Wonderful update! And that town is looking very great! :thumbsup:

Schulmanator

This is shaping up to be a great little town!  &apls
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

keyboardconfessional

Hey guys! RL is totally hardcore lately what with midterms fast approaching and such, going along with work and keeping the social life and a relationship alive and well...so there's almost no time for SC4. Keeping that in mind, I do have some time for...

Replies:

TheTeaCat: Thanks! I think everybody should have a little island of their own. Just to escape, you know? And concerning tea...I work in a coffeeshop, so someday I may become a tea expert like yourself =) My favourite is golden chai. I can't wait to see your next comment.

patfirefghtr: Thank you for the comment. I've done a few CJ's over at ST, so I just have to remember how I did it before and then I'll be golden! Can't wait to see you back here!

threestooges: The pics will probably just be secondary to the story here, so I'm glad you like it! Have a great night.

bat: Thanks for the comment! When the next update comes (eventually) I hope you enjoy it as much as the last one.

Schulmanator: Thank you. Anytime I get the applause emoticon, I'm a happy guy. =P Looking forward to your next comment.

For those who are interested, the next update will probably come along sometime this weekend. I just have to finish up Hemingway with some farms and touchup work, and we'll spend a few updates there. After that...well, I'm not sure. Have a great night and you stay classy, SC4D!

-Jamie

Pat

Well Jamie you defitnly gotten my attention and will see you this weekend hopefully for that update - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

keyboardconfessional

Hey guys...I know it's a late hour but it's about the only time I can get work done. So here's another update. Enjoy!

but first...

Replies(or reply, rather):

patfirefghtr: I love to get people's attention. Someday I'll be a celebrity, you'll see  $%Grinno$% Can't wait to see your next post.  :)

So now...update time!

"Kelly, we agreed that if you came with me, you'd have to speak as little as possible."

"Sorry, Brian."

Kelly is my twelve year old sister. I suppose I should get you caught up on what's happening. Remember when I told you about how someday I'd get out of Dickens' Cove? Well, that was a month ago, and I'm out. I was halfway across the river when Kelly popped out of the cargo hold.

"Kelly, what the hell are you doing here?"

"You're not going to tell Mom and Dad, are you?"

"I think it's a little late for that now, seeing as how we're already a good 20 minutes out of town...well, there's nothing I can do. Grab a seat."

It's been a while since then, and we've been bouncing around the county looking for somewhere to settle for a bit. We finally arrived in Hemingway yesterday, a nice little centre of about 4500 people. Kelly and I were just getting off the train when the aforementioned exchange took place.

We have no methods of transportation other than our feet, and I need to head to the bank, so we get a move on.

You know, if I didn't know better, I'd swear I was at home. It's got kind of the same feel. Except at home, it's colder."

"Yeah, and it's a million times cooler here! There's more shopping, and more people, and bigger houses..." I shot Kelly a look and she quickly clammed up. "Sorry, Brian."

The bank was a grand old structure built in the classical style almost 100 years ago. When they first built the town, they thought Main Street would be closer to the shore, so they built the bank accordingly. When they moved it further inland, however, the bank remained, and it has to this day. Faulkner Credit Union is a regional institution and Hemingway is one of its centres.

I've been saving up the meagre sum I receive from my parents each month for almost a year now and I still have enough for the both of us to live off of for a while. I pull about $300 out of my account and head out of the bank. Kelly and I are backtracking now, heading back to downtown and looking for a small flat to crash in for a while so we can figure out our next moves. Luckily, we found just the thing.

$150 in rent a month, and there's a gift shop downstairs I can work in while Kelly goes to school across the river in Hemingway Centre. Not too shabby. After all this movin' and shakin', however, I'm ready to hit the hay. It's just my luck that the flat already has two beds set up. I climb under the sheets and I'm sound asleep in a matter of minutes. It's been a trying couple of weeks.

Well, I desperately need to sleep now. (gotta be up early in the morning, opening up the coffeehouse tomorrow!) Have a great night/early morning, and if you've got any questions, comments, or concerns, please let me know.  ;D

P.S. For those farm lovers...a treat for you is coming up.  ;)

bat

Another fantastic update there! Great work! :thumbsup:

Pat

Jamie a very good story line and again perfect matching up to the pics.... OK I know you are going to cater to the farm lovers, well are you gonna cater to a nature lover lol hehehe, naw that aint no hint or nothing lol... Good job here Jamie and will see you again - pat

sebes

I enjoyed your very nice updates Keyboardconfessional  :thumbsup:  The story is great, and I cannot wait to find out how Brian and Kelly will go in Hemmingway. Imagine being stuck on 142 people island with just one coffeehouse for 17 years  ?=mad)=
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Sober

Very interesting MD keyboardconfessional, the rural areas are great and that's a great use of trees to dot the landscape. And will we ever see or hear more about this mysterious outside world, or will we see Brian finally catch that train? ;)

-Kelvin

keyboardconfessional

Hey, all...working the 3:30-close shift again tonight. (8 hours!  ()sad()) But I do have time for some...

Replies:

bat: Thank you! I really don't know what else to say. (Have a great day?  :P)

Pat: Subtlety is clearly one of your specialties.  ;) Can't wait to read your next posts, always encouraging.

sebes: Thanks for the comment. Glad you're enjoying the story, because I know some people don't like it when there's almost as much text as pictures.  :D And Christopher's has actually been there for 51 years, but they've had competition from outside sources. Tim Horton's even tried to move in once, but their mochas were cheap and gross, so everybody abandoned them. Have a good one and thanks again!

Kelvin (Sober): Thanks. Cycledogg's conifers = love, hehe. And if you think those rural areas are great, just wait until we get some actual farms kicking... :party: And as for the outside world...well, that just happens to be where our last update took place! He caught the train!   ;D Have a great one, and I'm looking forward to your next comment.

Well, gang, no update today, what with being busy and all, but there should be one by...Wednesday or Thursday. And as a treat for Pat, I might have some sweet stream shots or something kicking...  ::) Have a great afternoon/night and stay classy, SC4D!

Krio

Quite good and interesting MD. Waiting the next updates.