• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

River's End - and other rural areas (Update 3 - November 27th, 2007)

Started by keyboardconfessional, November 11, 2007, 11:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboardconfessional

Hey guys...once again, quite late in the day for an update, but you git 'r done whenever you can, I suppose :P But to start...

Replies(well, reply):

Krio: Thanks! I wouldn't really call this an update, persay...more of an expansion pack. It's RH if the last update's SC4. :) Thanks again for the comment.

So yeah...like I said, more of a mini-update. Only 2 pictures. I did some experimenting with colour saturation and it turned out pretty well. Enjoy.  ;D

On my first day of work, I was dusting off some shelves at the back of the gift shop when I came across this really old black-and-white picture of what appeared to be Hemingway. Since I had just gotten into town, I hadn't had a chance to look around, and I hadn't really realized how nice the place was. It had a little bit of everything.

My boss, Antoine, quickly popped up beside me, making sure his newest employee was keeping busy. When he saw me looking at the picture, he just started to laugh.

"Deceptive, isn't it? Hemingway is a town that doesn't show you much at first glance, but once you dig a little deeper, has beauty in many places. Here, take a look at this one. My brother took it from his plane about a year ago." He handed me a picture out of his pocket.

"Wow...I've never seen anything like that in my life. I lived in Dickens' Cove beforehand, so I never saw any farms or anything."

"Dickens' Cove...sorry, you lost me."

"Don't worry about it. It's a tiny island way to the northwest...the only people who really know about it are the people who live there." I managed a small chuckle.

"It sounds...tranquil." Antoine ran a tight ship, and I could tell our chat was coming to an end.

"I'd better go sweep." I grabbed the broom and went, leaving Antoine with the picture in his hand and a slight smile on his face.

See, nothing too big. Have a great night and stay classy, SC4D.  ::)
Visit my MD - RIVER'S END.

Pat

Jamie a short and sweet update.... LoL well at least the boss wasnt like get back to work but was more or less proud to be living in the area... That in its own rights is cool.... See you on the next update - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

yes, a really nice update there! And good overview of that area also nice farm picture!

Looking forward to more...

TheTeaCat

Excellent updates you have done recently. Nice little storyline to go with it too.

One thing I have notice is your extremely deep rivers. is there a special reason for this? Does it lead to a port perhaps? Anyhow nice rural shots and looks like a town i could live in.  :thumbsup:

No coffee ffor me it mmmakes me jjjjittery  :D

So I'll stick the kettle on and make us a nice cuppa

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

jmyers2043

Hello Keyboard ...

Short stories or comments make pictures come alive. You may want to have a look at SFBT Street Tree mod. It will place random trees along the rural roadways. Go to the SC4D LEX and search in the Mods-Transport section.  It is well worth it for those who like to make Sim Rural Countryside. Good Luck.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

keyboardconfessional

Pat: Thanks again for the comment...yeah, the boss is pretty cool. Just like my boss :) I'm really lucky, hehe  :D See you on the next update.

bat: Thanks, buddy...always appreciate your comments!

TheTeaCat: Thanks for the comment. Umm...the deep rivers just came with the map I downloaded (Kerrynton County by tijn21, it's on the STEX) and I'm not sure why they're so deep. The ocean is really far away on the map. But whatever. I can't wait for this tea, I hope you are making Earl Grey with lemon  ;D

Jim (jmyers2043): Hi, Jim...downloaded the SFBT tree mod and it looks so much better, especially because there's an option for pine trees  ()stsfd() Thank you for the comment and for the tip.

P.S. Your farms should be showing up soon...for some reason all I can grow is SimGoober stuff, rather than you and BarbyW's...do you know why this is?

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, guys, but this is a really, REALLY busy week for me and I don't have anything to show you just yet :( It's midterm time up here in Canada  &cry2 And, on top of that, I have a gig to play on Monday! And the weekend of course, includes work and plenty of social time. Hopefully something will be done by Saturday/Sunday. Thanks for your patience, have a great Thursday and stay classy, SC4D!

Adept2Rock

Come to visit Sancerre French department with various European archtectural styles!

In French Forum:

http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=284520
In devotion Forum:  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2654.0

keyboardconfessional

Adept2Rock: Thanks, buddy! I'll be sure to make a few more for you in the future. :)

Well, guys, not much to show right now. This doesn't really tie in to anything, but here's what I've done so far in the region:

It's not much, but it'll be awesome someday. hehe  ::) Have a great night and stay classy, SC4D!

-Jamie

bat

Wonderful looking overview of that region! Great work :thumbsup:

sincitybaby

ha they think 4500 is big  :D

Wait til they see a skyscraper

Great storyline, lookin forward to more

keyboardconfessional

Replies:

bat: Thanks!

sincitybaby: I know...I live way up north in Canada in a small town so when I go to Toronto for shopping, it's a HUGE change. so I know how they feel! Thanks for commenting.

Once again, not much time at all today. So here's two quick shots. A little bit more story, too. enjoy!  ;D

Ernest Hemingway awoke in a small room on a tiny island in Albom Inlet, Faulkner at 9:04 a.m. He wasn't really sure what was going on, to be quite honest. Last time he had checked, the year was 1942. And yet, a calendar on the wall clearly stated it was November 27th, 2007. Something strange was going on.

At the same time, Charlotte Bronte was rising from her bed in a farmhouse in Barrie Point.

They were both wondering the exact same thing.

"What happened to me?"

Have a great day, SC4D.

-Jamie

bat

That farms are looking very nice! Wonderful pictures of them! Looking forward to more.

Adept2Rock

Come to visit Sancerre French department with various European archtectural styles!

In French Forum:

http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=284520
In devotion Forum:  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2654.0

keyboardconfessional

Replies:

bat: Thanks as usual, man. Love seeing those comments!  ;D

Adept2Rock: That's what I was going for. Thanks for the comment. :)

Here's another little bit of stuff. Enjoy.

It's been about a month since we moved to Hemingway. My mom and dad tracked us down somehow (I think Antoine might've got ahold of them) and we're corresponding now. They're worried, of course, but what can they do? Anyways, last week, Antoine sent me on a day trip to a tiny island called Fitzgerald a bit south of Dickens Cove. A woman who lives there makes spectacular wicker baskets, and I had to go pick up an order. Why she just couldn't ship them is beyond me, but what's a guy to do?

Anyways, I took a four hour train to the western coast to get to Fitzgerald. However, there is no ferry to and fro. A local makes trips across the Fitzgerald Channel twice a week to the train station. It was not one of those days. I was stranded at the station for two more hours until a local fisherman sat down beside me on the platform.

"Looking to get to the island?"

"Yeah. How'd you know?"

"The world-weary shadow upon your face was an instant clue. Are you ready now?"

I was in no position to refuse. "Sure, let's go."

Something about the fisherman was very familiar to me. He had weathered, leathery skin, and his clothes were nothing much. Despite this, he had an air of culture about him, and seemed well-read while we talked. He never told me his name, and before I knew it, we had hit the shore. I headed to the Fitzgerald Town Hall where the woman sold her baskets. I picked up the order and left them in the fisherman's boat: he has assured me a ride back to the station.

He had told me to meet him at the F. Scott Fitzgerald Library right off of Scott Street (the downtown corridor) when I was done my business. The library was compact but just emitted an aura of knowledge. In a village named for the writer of The Great Gatsby, I expected no less.

I saw him inside, sitting on a couch and clutching a copy of The Old Man and the Sea. A curious reading choice, but the Hemingway classic appealed to some, I supposed.

"Brian. I was wondering what your dinner plans were?"

It was 4:30 and I was starving. "Actually, I was going to eat on the ride home."

"Why don't you come to my home for some roast beef? I don't have anybody else to eat with, you might as well join me." How could I refuse? We walked for fifteen minutes before reaching the fisherman's house. It was a two story home built in the 1800's, full of charm and character. It was very sparsely furnished for such a large house.

The roast beef was amazing, and we sat and chatted over dinner. As my water was running low and we were about to call it quits, he made a very strange proposition.

"Brian, if it's not too much trouble...I was wondering if I could come back with you to Hemingway."

"I'm sorry?"

"I'll take the train back, and then head downtown. Some friends of mine are staying at a place called the Sherway. I'll have excellent accomodations, and I'll be no trouble at all."

I really had nothing to say. "I have no problem with it, but let's be honest here. I don't even know your name."

"My name?" He paused for a moment, then extended his hand. "Brian, I'm Ernest Hemingway."

Stay classy, SC4D.

-Jamie

dragonshardz

Thought I'd return the favor.

This is already getting to be very interesting, much more interesting than mine i'm afraid....

What would it be like to meet Ernest Hemingway....

BigSlark

Amazing MD, Jaime. As an English major and soon to be English teacher, this alternate reality where the great writers of the 19th and 20th centuries all reside in obscurity is a fascinating story.

And for your development, you've got the pocket-sized villages down pat.

Who would I like to meet? As a Mississippian and a Modernist the answer is William Faulkner, hands down. Apparently he was quite a colorful character...

I'm looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Kevin

keyboardconfessional

Replies:

dragonshardz: Thanks, buddy! Yours is very interesting too, I just happen to have more pictures @ the moment. ::) Have a great day.

Kevin (BigSlark): Thank you so much. I'll be an English major too (in a few months, and Drama too) and I'm glad to hear praise from my kinfolk  ;D It's funny you mentioned Faulkner...that's the name of my region!  :D Have a good one.

Have an awesome Wednesday, guys. Unfortunately I'm working right after school until 10:30 today so won't get much playing in  :-[ Stay classy, SC4D.

bat

TheTeaCat

Oh this is great. Here you are with one of my favourite Authors reading probably my most favourite book of all time. "The Old Man and The Sea" but oh dear you mentioned that tea  $%Grinno$% ( see signature)

Anyhows wonderful pics good storyline - well done &apls

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

keyboardconfessional

More replies:

bat: Thanks! (I know, I say that every time...horribly uncreative)

TTC: Lovely, lovely comment. You're a Hemingway lover too? I thought I was the only one!!  ;D and yeah, I mentioned the tea. today I had an African berry tea - not too bad! Thanks for the comment and have a great night.

Well, gang, I've got an update done but I probably won't post it until Friday, unless I get really bored between now and then. I'm going to take a break from playing Faulkner to have some fun experimenting, but we'll figure it out. Have a great night and stay classy, SC4D.  ()stsfd()

-Jamie