• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ÆRDEN ~ new streets!

Started by vortext, May 31, 2013, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feyss

Just WOW!  :shocked2:

Is this really Sim City 4 ?

Everything seems to fit perfectly : the fields, the roads, the bridges, the rivers... And your MMP work is also awesome.

The city looks well designed too. I especially like this location at the confluence of the rivers and the little harbour inside the city walls.

This was a great OSITM this month. Keep up this awesome work my friend  :thumbsup:

Vizoria

Best. Medieval. City tile. EVAH!

I cannot wait to see the finished medieval town. Clearly this is Simcity 4 Medieval.

Out of curiosity have you altered JENX Poseidon's terrain paint tools?

FrankU

art128

These two mosaics -still WIPs- are already quite superb! This tile is really becoming a masterpiece of its own. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Mandarin(a)

Hmmm ... I think I want to live in the Middle Ages  ;) It is so nice to admire snowy fields when I still have to wait for them in the real life.

Simcoug

faux foundations?  completed cobblestone roads?  It's all stupendtacular!   :popcorn:

noahclem

I've been admiring this for days and it's difficult to express how much enjoy all the stuff you've done  &apls  I've learned so much and yet remain mystified on a number of things :D  Thanks so much for sharing this amazing OSITM with us! As always I'll look forward to what's next in this story--and all the tips I can glean from it ;)

belfastsocrates

Absolutely gorgeous work. I love the overview with the small farm holdings and I'm really looking forward to see the town grow and develop.

Fantastic!
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

seraf

What? Cathedral still unfinished? Lazy bastards! Let's throw them in a dungeon and see how fast will they work after a week in there  $%Grinno$%

But seriously now, this is great  &apls The mosaic with all those fields looks beautiful. The city also looks good. Well, I would like a bigger castle if I was to live in there... :D

Splendid work!  &apls &apls

kbieniu7

Well, that's a truly amazing...actually everything. To begin with the idea of building in medieval times, which is a very original way. It allows to imagine, to move back in time into that wilderness which is "no longer" present in our contemporary regions and cities, to observe how the settlement and routes were developing. By the way, I wonder how Traelonisk would look like if it was 2015 ;)

The snow-covered landscape is simply enormous.  :thumbsup:
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

mrsmartman

Fantastic. You've successfully broken the grid.

Kergelen

Wow, you've created an outstanding medieval atmosphere!
The selection of plugins and your own modding make your region so unique and realistic &apls

Links to SC4 websites

Gugu3

Themistokles

me see no mishaps there $%Grinno$% no, no, just excellent (and, as it happens, very inspiring for my own medieval city centre) views everywhere :D
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

Swordmaster

Nanami

Walled city with castle, small towns inside the wall and those fields really gives the medieval era of Europe atmosphere  :o.. Really amazing!  &apls &apls

vortext

Quote from: feyss on November 30, 2015, 03:33:37 PM
Just WOW!  :shocked2:

Is this really Sim City 4 ?

Everything seems to fit perfectly : the fields, the roads, the bridges, the rivers... And your MMP work is also awesome.

The city looks well designed too. I especially like this location at the confluence of the rivers and the little harbour inside the city walls.

This was a great OSITM this month. Keep up this awesome work my friend  :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the kind words! And yes, it's still the same game!  :D

Quote from: Vizoria on November 30, 2015, 03:49:51 PM
Best. Medieval. City tile. EVAH!

I cannot wait to see the finished medieval town. Clearly this is Simcity 4 Medieval.

Out of curiosity have you altered JENX Poseidon's terrain paint tools?

Thank you! And yes I took a bunch of SV's terrain textures and applied them to the terrain paint tools so they'd better match.

Quote from: FrankU on December 01, 2015, 02:00:09 AM
Fantastic work Erik!

Thanks Frank!

Quote from: art128 on December 01, 2015, 03:42:25 AM
These two mosaics -still WIPs- are already quite superb! This tile is really becoming a masterpiece of its own. :)

Though I do enjoy how the tile is shaping up, I still feel slightly peeved the previous mmp-ing is lost. . so thanks for the kind words! Much appreciated!

Quote from: Mandarin(a) on December 01, 2015, 10:17:50 AM
Hmmm ... I think I want to live in the Middle Ages  ;) It is so nice to admire snowy fields when I still have to wait for them in the real life.

Hmm, I don't know about that, no central heating. . no i'net. . no Simcity4!  ::)  :D Glad you enjoyed the winter scene! Thanks!

Quote from: Simcoug on December 02, 2015, 10:17:51 AM
faux foundations?  completed cobblestone roads?  It's all stupendtacular!   :popcorn:

Thanks Matt!

Quote from: noahclem on December 02, 2015, 02:27:24 PM
I've been admiring this for days and it's difficult to express how much enjoy all the stuff you've done  &apls  I've learned so much and yet remain mystified on a number of things :D  Thanks so much for sharing this amazing OSITM with us! As always I'll look forward to what's next in this story--and all the tips I can glean from it ;)

Thank you Noah, glad you enjoyed it!

Quote from: belfastsocrates on December 03, 2015, 02:24:54 AM
Absolutely gorgeous work. I love the overview with the small farm holdings and I'm really looking forward to see the town grow and develop.

Fantastic!

Thanks! The farms are probably my favorite as well, so gratifying to watch them grow.

Quote from: seraf on December 03, 2015, 09:54:59 AM
What? Cathedral still unfinished? Lazy bastards! Let's throw them in a dungeon and see how fast will they work after a week in there  $%Grinno$%

But seriously now, this is great  &apls The mosaic with all those fields looks beautiful. The city also looks good. Well, I would like a bigger castle if I was to live in there... :D

Splendid work!  &apls &apls

Hey now, building a cathedral is hard work, they deserve a break! And yes, I'd like to have a bigger castle as well, I hope you can help with that!  ;)

Quote from: kbieniu7 on December 03, 2015, 12:45:30 PM
Well, that's a truly amazing...actually everything. To begin with the idea of building in medieval times, which is a very original way. It allows to imagine, to move back in time into that wilderness which is "no longer" present in our contemporary regions and cities, to observe how the settlement and routes were developing. By the way, I wonder how Traelonisk would look like if it was 2015 ;)

The snow-covered landscape is simply enormous.  :thumbsup:

Yeah I really enjoy moving back in time as you say, and ponder where to put new streets, scout possible locations for settlements, etc. I hope one day to be able to show you how Traelonisk looks in modern times, though it'd be quite touristy I'd imagine. Thanks!

Quote from: Simmer2 on December 03, 2015, 12:50:33 PM
Excellent modding, vortext!  &apls

Thank you!

Quote from: mrsmartman on December 11, 2015, 06:11:08 AM
Fantastic. You've successfully broken the grid.

Thanks! What can I say, I dislike regular shapes!  :D

Quote from: Kergelen on December 13, 2015, 09:27:37 AM
Wow, you've created an outstanding medieval atmosphere!
The selection of plugins and your own modding make your region so unique and realistic &apls

Thank you!

Quote from: Gugu3 on December 14, 2015, 01:38:02 AM
Excellent work! &apls

Thanks!

Quote from: Themistokles on December 14, 2015, 12:21:28 PM
me see no mishaps there $%Grinno$% no, no, just excellent (and, as it happens, very inspiring for my own medieval city centre) views everywhere :D

Look closer!  ;) Glad I could provide some inspiration!

Quote from: Unconstantean on December 16, 2015, 04:07:50 AM
wow  :o &apls

Thanks!

Quote from: Swordmaster on December 17, 2015, 08:19:27 AM
Quote from: vortext on November 30, 2015, 03:15:45 PM
snip

Didn't know they had aerial photography in that age... Massive! &apls &apls

Cheers
Willy

Nice to see you stopping by Willy! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Quote from: Nanami on December 25, 2015, 08:18:02 AM
Walled city with castle, small towns inside the wall and those fields really gives the medieval era of Europe atmosphere  :o.. Really amazing!  &apls &apls

Thanks for the kinds words!

Alright, that were a lot of replies! Thanks again everyone!  &apls

So I wanted to do some kind eyecandy new-years eve scene for today (big bonfire, people milling around) but time eludes me. So why don't I show you some of my SC4 plans for the new year instead?

First, I've worked on Traelonisk's harbor quite a bit.

The left hand street has been moved one tile out so now there's a 2x8 space to work with, which made things easier. Consequently the 2x2 wide curve around the harbor became a 4x4 wide curve, which had the added benefit I could run a street from the 4x4 straight to the outer left 2x2 widecurve and make a nice city block. Stay tuned to see how it develops!

In addition I made a bunch of sandbox cities. . .

. . .some tiles require extensive eye candy work, other tiles I selected because I just want to do terraforming without any particular plan in mind. . .

No idea where this is going, really. The island was already there, just wanted to sculpt it and see how it looked! :D

. . . while for other tiles I actually have very particular plans. .

And as I said previously, I'm really not too fond of my current street textures. Initially I made them as placeholder textures, so I could start work in the region using the draggable street curves, but here we are three years later and I still have to make a new, proper set. Ideally I want a street texture which ties into the dirt road textures I showed some time ago. So. .

. . . not too shabby for a first try I reckon. I'm really looking forward to pick up and finish the cobble roads, if only because I want to have a complete set of dirt roads which are derived from them!  ;)

At any rate, as per usual there're a ton of ideas and plans left to discuss but that'd be rather boring. So for now I just say stay safe with the fireworks and I wish you all a happy new year!!
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

romualdillo

I was wondering how could I have passed your last update without commenting, but I think it was during my back problems, and I had no humor to sit and comment. Sorry!!!  :-[

The last updates are mindblowing. It's interesting how different Northern Medieval cities looked to Southern ones. Normally German-styled ones look fantastic in SC4, while Mediterranean ones look "fake". Looking at your MD I've discovered It's a matter of space: too wide streets make historic Mediterranean cores look strange. I'll think about it...  ;)

Please continue your great work, because it's inspiring!!  &apls