• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Random Crash issue

Started by Shark7, November 30, 2012, 08:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark7

Guys I'm having a problem with the game randomly crashing.  Now its always done it, but it has gotten worse of late (crashed 5 times last night alone).  Just going to see if anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing it.

The crash is not specific, but it always seems to happen when I open one of the menus.  It is not consistent with a specific menu, but it is consistent in happening when opening a menu.

System:

Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core I-7
16 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 7770 video 1 GB DDR3 Vid RAM
Drivers are all up to date

I'm running the game on hardware acceleration with all graphics (save sims/cars) set to maximum.

The only thing I've done lately to my plugins folder is to remove a few lots I no longer use, add in the plobbable farm fields pack from the STEX, and repack it with the Data Packing tool.  I did not remove any dependencies as they are used by other lots I'm still using.  I wouldn't have thought this to be an issue, since it did happen from time to time when I hadn't done anything to my plugins folder for months.

So I guess the real question is have I done something by removing or adding the lots, or is this possibly something related to hardware conflicts?

Shark7

OK, it took me several months, but I finally fixed my problem.

Turns out it was not a plugins conflict at all.  Rather the game did not like my new system...or rather specifically the video card.  After finding a tutorial over at Simtropolis about how to tell the game to play nice with my video card, all is well.

Anyway, I'm playing again, which is all I wanted.  :)