• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Prop pox.

Started by Dreamcat, August 22, 2009, 09:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcat

Ah, yes...I believe it was only a few CAM Industrial dependencies and .SC4models because I was growing some boxes.  Shall I be more specific?

Diggis

Dreamcat

BSC MEGA Props Gascooker Vol02

Pretty sure that's it, sorry.  Should I tell you the .SC4model files I got too?

BarbyW

The model files should not be a problem and I have checked BSC MEGA Props Gascooker Vol02 and there is nothing in there.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Dreamcat

Hmm, what now?  Should I tell you everything in my plugins sans the models?

Dreamcat

Eh, I think this is worthy of a bump.

Recently I've decided to just give up on my Plugins folder, and I'm going to go and delete everything and redownload things, this time writing down EVERYTHING installed.  And then, maybe after like...oh, every twenty-so installations, seeing if my city gets prop-poxed.  But how would I test if my current plugins caused prop-pox?

RippleJet

Quote from: Dreamcat on August 31, 2009, 04:01:12 PM
But how would I test if my current plugins caused prop-pox?

It cannot really be tested before you actually get it, while playing, saving and reopening your city.

If you, on the other hand, would be able to get the prop pox to strike again, it might help us knowing what you've installed in between.

And feel free to post your city whenever you'd like, and I'll take a look at it, seeing if it is poxed or not.

Dreamcat

Well, I do have the SC4 savegame explorer, so I can at least tell if I have the pox or not.

Hmm, how about installing a few files, letting the game run for about ten years, then seeing if it's poxed?  Would that work?

RippleJet

Quote from: Dreamcat on August 31, 2009, 05:12:03 PM
Hmm, how about installing a few files, letting the game run for about ten years, then seeing if it's poxed?  Would that work?

Sounds like a plan! ;)

Dreamcat

Dear Ripplejet & others:
I seem to have found the source of the pox, but that's up to you to decide.  I have installed several items, listed as so:

CSX MEGA Props - Vol02
Network Addon Mod (Windows)
SFBT Essentials
BSC MEGA Props Misc Vol02
BSC Essentials
BSC MEGA Props CP Vol01
BSC Textures Vol 01
BSC TexturePack Cycledogg V 01b
Little Asia Condo's
BSC MEGA Props D66 Vol01
BSC MEGA Props - SG Vol 01
The Maxx
BSC MEGA Props - Misc Vol01
BSC CAMelots bixel Model Pack Vol16
Orange Burj Al Alam World Tower BSC
Pencil Towers
Al Burj
NYC Housing Projects Set 2
HKBAT bixel MEGA Pack Vol19
Elwood Towers
BSC Textures Vol 02
BSC CAMelots bixel Model Pack Vol19
CSX MEGA Props - Vol03
BSC Textures Vol03
HKABT Bixel MEGA Pack Vol16
CSX MEGA Props - Vol06
Colossus Addon Mod (Windows)

All of them can be found on the LEX.  I installed all of those, nothing more, started up the game, let the city run for ten years, saved and exited, and reloaded the file.  Both SC4 Save Explorer and the game showed signs of prop pox.

Here is the file, post-poxed:

http://rapidshare.com/files/274125589/proppox.zip.html

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

RippleJet

Could you also see what happens if you run your un-poxed city for 10 years, without adding any new prop packs or other custom content to your plugins?

Dreamcat

:bomb:

Yah dah dah dah dah.  So, I got that city you requested.  Positive it was the right one, it said it was prop-pox free.  I started up the file, and I saw prop pox immediately.  I saved and exited.  Prop pox was here, it said.

The Plugins folder was COMPLETELY empty.

RippleJet

Feels like we're banging our heads into a brick wall with this... ()sad()

Dreamcat

Should I just reinstall the whole thing?

RippleJet

I have your unpoxed city, so in case bap or someone else would like to continue to explore it, I'll hand it over.

As we most likely will not be able to cure Abingdon from the pox,
I'd say you probably will feel better if you start a new one now, rather than wait for our feeble attempts to find a cure.

Dreamcat

Yes, I had given up on Abingdon a long time ago.  I just want to make sure this won't happen again.  Will it?

RippleJet

Quote from: Dreamcat on September 01, 2009, 02:33:40 PM
I just want to make sure this won't happen again.  Will it?

For the time being, the only prop pack we know that for sure will cause the prop pox, is the Beach Development Kit, BDK by Pegasus.
As long as you never have the BDK in your plugins, you should be safe.

With a slight reservation though... there is probably something out there that we still haven't found...
something that existed even before the BDK was made.

Dreamcat

OK, thanks for all your help...I'll just pray that this region doesn't acquire the prop pox, and backup often.

sithlrd98

As I was curious , I also downloaded the city. I am unsure of how to find that offending prop (saw the hex #) as I still don't fully understand how to find it in the prop listing. Is there a document out there for deciphering results?

Jayson

RippleJet

Quote from: sithlrd98 on September 01, 2009, 04:12:10 PM
As I was curious , I also downloaded the city. I am unsure of how to find that offending prop (saw the hex #) as I still don't fully understand how to find it in the prop listing.

You can sort the props by clicking the IID or IID1 column heading in the Prop Record View.

Quote from: sithlrd98 on September 01, 2009, 04:12:10 PM
Is there a document out there for deciphering results?

Real programmers like Wouanagaine never write tutorials or manuals... $%Grinno$%