• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

smoncrie, that's absolutely brilliant!  I'd say that project is worth continuing! :thumbsup:  The other possibility that might work would be a "camouflage" puzzle piece, that plops over an RHW-4/Ground Highway transition to make it look like an RHW-4.  Though it doesn't have the ease of having the Maxis Highway automatically covered up like the prop/T21 method.

Haljackey, to answer your question, it wouldn't replace any Maxis Highway bridges.  It would be built with the Maxis Ground Highway, but would look and function like an RHW-4.

-Alex (Tarkus)

choco

smoncrie: thats a great idea!!  if you gave it new IDs, you could just add the RHW4 path files of the same IID....would eliminate the diagonal vehicles during the transition. 

smoncrie

Haljackey,  no it would be a new Ground Highway bridge, and it would not replace any other bridge.  I would probably call it the "Plain RHW-4 Lookalike bridge".

Choco, half of the path/lane change is outside of the bridge in the RHW-4 <=> Ground Highway transition,  so I can not change it, unless a puzzel piece is used.

I have used existing RHW-4 bridge models for the entire bridge, and copies of RHW-4 bridge paths for all but the end pieces of the bridge.

Tarkus, a puzzle piece would solve all the problems, except that the bridge might be non-functional without it.   A puzzle piece would be worth it if there were several versions of RHW-4 Lookalike bridges, and they were popular.

[EDIT] There were several posts made between my composing this message and when I posted it.

deathtopumpkins

that is a great idea smoncrie! I definitely think you should pursue it further. I'd use it.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

choco

if a rotation ring could be created, there could be plenty to occupy it.....it would enable bridges like the Manhattan Bridge to use ped paths......also was thinking of a double decker rail bridge as well.....this could allow many different bridge configurations......

allan_kuan1992

I wonder... are we going to use only the "copied" raised bridge model or can we have some different choices (e.g. swamper77's viaducts) for the bridges?

- Allan Kuan

io_bg

Great idea, smoncrie! One suggestion about the paths: what about if it's an avenue bridge instead of highway? Both RHW 4 and Maxis Avenues have 4 lanes.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Korot

Avenue has lower capacity than RHW-4, ground highway equal or more, so to avoid a bridge that is more congested than the RHW-4 leading to it, you'd need ground highway, another thing is that, although they have the same amount of paths, those paths are on different spots (RHW has an 'emergency lane' which is wider than the side walk of an avenue), so the cars would still drive out of place.

metarvo

All I can say is this.  The longer it takes for the RHW 3.0 to be ready, the better it will be when it is.  At least, that's what I keep telling myself.  At any rate, RHW 3.0 is definitely going to be one of the highlights of 2009 for me.  After that, who knows?  The prospect of "FARHW" is quite thrilling, indeed.  Take as much time as you need, Alex, and don't wear yourself out, either.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

cityhawk

Wow, tremendous work being done here! I've been away from here for a while due to college and me not being able to play SC4 anymore because something happened to my computer, and I'm seeing awesome work being done here! If I ever get another computer then I'll definitely be using this stuff! Thanks to all those giving up their time to work on this project!
God is awesome!

Jonathan

Well if th cover up of the FHW/RHW transition was covered by you could have your own paths on the transition, so there'd be no need to transition back and forth.

Great work on the bridge though Smoncrie!

Jonathan

j-dub

RHW being built by a ground highway, hmmmmm. Don't know if this helps, but when I have used on-slope pieces, and got rid of the slope, the transition between two networks is eliminated. Sometimes the RHW will be able to connect without transitions. I recall having success getting a ground highway RHW without doing a transition, I also know doing the disappearing on-slope to an avenue, the RHW can connect to that. Maybe the bridge can be built by using those other means?

Haljackey

Well, the RHW thread has now surpassed 200,000 views!   :)

This, compiled with another 100k from the ST RHW thread, means there have been over 300,000 views on the entire RHW development project!  An impressive number indeed.

Well done!

Best,
-Haljackey

girlfromverona

Quote from: smoncrie on January 04, 2009, 11:21:02 AM
Is it worth doing more work on this bridge?

Most definitely!!  :thumbsup:

And congrats on the page views milestone! Shows just how popular this project is.  ;D

Sartoris

Quote from: Haljackey on January 04, 2009, 07:26:52 PM
Well, the RHW thread has now surpassed 200,000 views!   :)

This, compiled with another 100k from the ST RHW thread, means there have been over 300,000 views on the entire RHW development project!  An impressive number indeed.

Well done!

Best,
-Haljackey

Sorry, I think I accidentally hit F5 about 100k times.   :D

Patricius Maximus

300000 views? Now, if I'm right, there's 280000 users at ST and around 10000 here, then that would be about 1 view per user. Of course, that is not accurate, but every registered user in the SC4 community could have viewed the project at one point or another.

Fantastic statistic, Tarkus, and congratulations. I'll have furthur praise when 3.0 is released. It appears to be near-release now (I won't say imminent  :P).

Ryan B.

Congratulations, Alex - you've made imminent the hottest buzzword of 2009 - and we're only 5 days in!

gn_leugim

that's a nice bridge there.. brilliant work :p

and I like to define imminent as: close XD

Blue Lightning

Everything looks so nice. All I have to say is keep up the good work. :thumbsup:
I define imminent as "sooner than you think"
Weel, we should stay tuned! &opr
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

smoncrie

When I created a ground highway bridge that looks and works like a RHW-4 bridge, I thought that people might think it was weird or too complicated.  I did not want to make it depend on a special puzzle piece for the ends of the bridge because that would make it a bit more complicated.

It looks like I should not have worried.

I shall create a puzzle piece for the ends and I will probably create another bridge of the same kind.   How would people like a suspension bridge?   It will take a while to make it.

I used a ground highway bridge instead of an avenue bridge because it has more capacity.  I can define any paths on a bridge, and the ground highway bridge shown already has (mostly) 2 lanes.  On the other hand, an avenue bridge would be a bit simpler to connect at each end.

Choco, in Simcity4, a double deck rail bridge would have exactly the same capacity as a single deck rail bridge. :(
A double deck bridge carrying two different kinds of traffic can be built, but major problems must be solved before it is practical.  :(