• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gn_leugim

I cant wait for spring then... because of the warmer temperatures off course ^^

EDIT:  You and me both, my friend.  I have it on good authority, though, that, at least for us folks north of the Equator, spring is on the way.  -de

abcvs

I have been rummaging around in my 'show posts' and found this...
13 November 2008

;D

EDIT: Craig, I've seen that before somewhere, I'm pretty sure.  Built, like SC4, to last, I guess. -de

apeguy

These peices look great, seems like the TTR is nearly complete in terms of puzzle peices. The news of STR set 2 is very exciting. ;D ;D

EDIT:  Currently 12 out of about 40 that could be included in the final set, Alex.  We'll see.  I'm averaging between two and three pieces a day.  The big ones are way over my original estimate of two hours- a recent one took about five. -de

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

Swordmaster

It's no good to be away from this site for a couple of weeks, especially when it coincides with major rail-geekery going on! This thread is really the railroader's dream, David. Fantastic stuff here.

Cheers,
Willy

EDIT: Thanks, Willy.  That's the thing about being gone for a bit, though- there's always something new to find and enjoy when you come back. -de

Haljackey

I've been lurking here since 3RR got back to speed in December. Not sure why I haven't posted since, but just wanted to add in saying that you're certainly doing some great stuff here!

Also I want to wish the best to you and your family. Through all the bumps in the road, there's a lot to learn and things you can't take for granted.

Keep up the good work! Nice to see 3RR chugging along!

-Ryan (Haljackey)

EDIT:  Ryan, thanks for the kind words.  While I think a lot about the things that happened last year, 3RR keeps me focused on moving forward, and it's really great that so many friends from over the years are still here. -de

carlfatal

How should i explain the silly grin on my face to all of my friends? But it is there and will not end...  $%Grinno$%
TTR and STR together, 2012 is the year my dreams come true... &apls  &apls  &apls
Greetz, Carl

EDIT:  Carl, as amazing a SC4 rail builder as you are, I'm sure both will be put to great use over in Waldey [linkie]. -de

dedgren

This is the time of year in 3RR that this George Winston great goes into heavy rotation.

I mean, there's only so much you can feed our winter friends.

The chickadees are getting to look like tennis balls with black heads and grey wings.

You can't see it yet, but you know if you're from around here that, in a little more than a month, the ice will start going out.

The air will warm.

And, just like that, another long winter will be behind us.

A couple more TTR/STR pieces will get done today.  We're making great progress, but there's a lot to do.

Within the next day, we'll be a quarter of the way from 900K to a million views.  I'll be doing a contest update shortly.

Thanks for stopping by.

UPDATE:  I've gone back and responded to posts over the past page or so.  The 3RR Regulars* are out in force these days, with over 300 posts- the most in a month in many years, in the month just past.

David

* If you don't know what it takes to be a 3RR Regular, let's do this one more time: At least one 3RR post over the years in this thread or over at 3RR-ST.  Over 600 folks have successfully done this, and we're sure you can too!

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

threestooges

Very nice. How far did you go to find the first signs of spring? The general look of winter is there, but you can start seeing the leaves and buds returning. I'm going to have to start taking a look around here to see what I can find. I also can't recall a time I've seen a bird that spherical before too. Is that normal for them after winter?
-Matt

EDIT: The breakup and buds I took on a 3RR outing last year (they look amazingly like what you would have seen if you'd been camping long the Denali Highway in Alaska around Memorial Day- funny that).  The chickadee- and yes, this winter they all seem to look like that: some of them have got to be having trouble getting airborne- pic was shot today.  We've had a lot of snow this winter and the darn things are so cute that I think everyone is feeding them.  PETA will probably be at my door tomorrow... -de

mike3775

Quote from: dedgren on February 05, 2012, 06:31:47 PM
You can't see it yet, but you know if you're from around here that, in a little more than a month, the ice will start going out.

Whats that stuff?  I know I am supposed to have some in my neck of the woods this time of the year, but this winter, I have seen very little of it, and the stuff that did come down, was not even around a week later  lol

gn_leugim

Quote from: dedgren link=topic=112.msg413132#msg413132
The chickadees are getting to look like tennis balls with black heads and grey wings.

img]http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8890/update12020503.jpg[/img]

So cute ^^

Lowkee33

Quote from: mike3775 on February 05, 2012, 07:36:19 PM
Whats that stuff?  I know I am supposed to have some in my neck of the woods this time of the year, but this winter, I have seen very little of it, and the stuff that did come down, was not even around a week later  lol

Indeed, we're still looking for signs of winter here.

There is starting to be a "Don't feed wild birds" trend in Massachusetts.  Something about weakening genetics.

noahclem

Winter ends so soon up there?! You're lucky. Lately days warmer than -25C are few and far between and it's been dipping down to -40 (F & C). We'll have snow on the ground til May but at least it's getting lighter outside!

TTR and STR progress is looking great! I'd still really like to see more splitters, especially TTR-to-2xTTRs....

Looking forward to more  :thumbsup:

EDIT:  Oh, no, Noah- it's breakup in 3RR, which straddles the 49th parallel, that starts in March.  Here in south-central Alaska, which is where I'm at when I'm not spending time in the region,our snow cover is gone anywhere from mid-April to early May, with ice persisting on lakes about two weeks longer.  We're having (in Alaska) a warm spell right now, with temperatures of 30 degrees (F)/-1 (C) expected all week.  Stay warm! -de

dedgren

Just a quick post to let you know I'm going laptop shopping...

...my trusty HP's fan failed late yesterday.  I think a month of non-stop work on graphics had something to do with that.  Don't worry, I can still use the current computer for short spells- there's no data loss or overheating damage, but I need to bucket brigade stuff off of here ASAP.

By tonight I should be back up and running.  I'll let you know.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

mike3775

Even with a broken PC, 3RR finds a way to persevere.   David is like a Timex, he takes a licking and keeps on ticking  :)

metarvo

Ouch, that's no good!  &mmm  I hope you're able to get this sorted out without losing anything.  I guess that proves that what you're doing is much too extraordinary for a mere mortal computer.  ()stsfd()
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Gringamuyloca

um, ehm...  ???

Did you invest in a can or 2 of compressed air and clean out fans, fins, etc?  %confuso

I have salvaged more than one desktop/laptop just by 'blowing it out'...(Turn off the power and ground the pc/laptop) getting crazy with either a can or two of compressed air or the vacuum cleaner. (It's amazing how such little dust can become a 'heatsink' and cause the graphics card to fail.)

This might not apply to your situation David, but might help others.  ;D

(It's so good to see the added buzz around here! What you bring to 'the game' is pure bonus!)  :thumbsup:  ()flower()
Tamara

Tarkus

Quote from: dedgren on February 07, 2012, 03:13:22 PM
...my trusty HP's fan failed late yesterday. 

My last laptop that turned into a veritable toaster oven was an HP as well.  Except it wasn't the fan that failed, but a cr-ptastic nVidia nForce motherboard that overheated and slowly cooked through the components one by one, just after the warranty expired, too.  Sorry to hear you're having to replace yours, but at least it sounds like it's semi-functional enough to retrieve everything off before it goes supernova.

Quote from: Gringamuyloca on February 07, 2012, 07:30:29 PM
I have salvaged more than one desktop/laptop just by 'blowing it out'...(Turn off the power and ground the pc/laptop) getting crazy with either a can or two of compressed air or the vacuum cleaner. (It's amazing how such little dust can become a 'heatsink' and cause the graphics card to fail.)

I actually had a power supply in my old desktop fail due to dust, about 10 years ago.  Some of the dust settled in one of the PCI slots, causing Windows ME to think it was a card of some sort--it actually tried to install drivers for it!  (It called it a "Early PCI Non-VGA Device".)

-Alex

dedgren

Just lost a much longer post because I'm trying to baby my laptop along and didn't switch tabs in Firefox.  I have installed a great freeware program called RealTemp [linkie] and at least I have some sense of how close I am to frying my processor and GPU.

Didn't buy a laptop today- still looking.  What does anyone think about the HP Pavilion dv7-6c43cl [linkie]?  I'd appreciate your thoughts- I found prices far more competitive than I expected.  The dv7-6c43cl is only (US) $750 at Costco [linkie].

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

threestooges

No specific comments for the particular computer, but I know people who have had great success and great frustrations with HP computers. A friend of mine picked up a similar model (not sure if it's the same one or not) and has been having chronic problems with the graphics card; then again, sometimes technology hates him. I like the wide screen (a definite plus to photo editing) and the number pad is useful too. If you've had good luck with HP in the past, I can't see much wrong with this one, but reliability has been hit-and-miss with them from my observations. Then again, I've stuck with Dell. Decent reliability, but a great 5-year full replacement warranty, so if you buy it to last, it will.
-Matt

CasperVg

Well, I have a HP Pavilion dv7 myself (not the same model tho) and am having overheating problems too. In fact, it's even worse than what you showed, David. Mine regularly hits ~95°C whilst playing SimCity, Minecraft, etc. and easily gets into ~80°C while browsing the web or editing word documents. It idles at around ~65°C. If I don't downvolt/downclock the processor for playing, it will regularly shut down to protect itself from going over 100°C. I use the TechPowerUp ThrottleStop utility to turn off the i7 processor's Turbo mode and never  let it go over 1000 MHz/core (instead of the 1600 MHz/core it's supposed to deliver). On top of that, I also use an active laptop cooling pad. That brings the max temperatures back to around ~85°C. ::)

I think HP has since been trying to combat such overheating though, but it remains a problem with high-capacity laptops, because there can never be enough airflow I think.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube