• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Windows 11 and the original game CD's

Started by FrankU, May 03, 2022, 12:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

Hi people,

After a long time I decided to take a chance in coming back.
Now I just bought myself a new laptop with Windows 11.
But...
now I have to get the game running.
As I suppose the secdrv.sys still does not work I tried to start it by hand.Not too difficult with the instructions found HERE
But when I try it I get the message that loading of the driver of the file is being blocked.
Might this be a virus protecting issue? Or something else? Does anyone know what I should do?

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: FrankU on May 03, 2022, 12:35:36 PMHi people,

After a long time I decided to take a chance in coming back.
Now I just bought myself a new laptop with Windows 11.
But...
now I have to get the game running.
As I suppose the secdrv.sys still does not work I tried to start it by hand.Not too difficult with the instructions found HERE
But when I try it I get the message that loading of the driver of the file is being blocked.
Might this be a virus protecting issue? Or something else? Does anyone know what I should do?

Hello Welcome Back

A lot has changed since your last visit. We have a Discord server where you can with other people and with the NAM Team. In addition to requesting assistance for SC4D Forum and LEX

This procedure to uninstall the update that blocks SC4 Disk is not valid for Windows 10 and 11. I recommend you to buy the digital version of SC4 from GOG or Steam (GOG is DRM Free)

mgb204

So whilst MS only removed the drivers on older Windows versions, 10 and later editions won't allow you to load it, because it's not a digitally signed driver. In theory you can manually do that, but it's neither easy nor a particularly good idea.

In reality you probably do need to consider buying the digital edition, I would recommend GoG over Steam since their version is DRM free and has some other advantages which just make setup easier, for example it will include all the languages including Dutch.

FrankU

Hi mgb204,
Thanks for your advice.

I was indeed wondering what version to buy. I don't know how Origin and Steam work.
And if it is not DRM free, what is the use anyway? Or does DRM free means it does not require the disc in the CD player and DRM unfree (??) does mean that I have to put the CD in the player? The latter sounds a bit stupid and certainly not practical as my CD player is external.

So playing without internet and without the CD in the player, but wit all the upgrades that make CAM (and all the other stuff of course) possibe is what I am looking for.

GOG is: www.gog.com I suppose?

Thanks in advance!
Frank

Ulisse Wolf

Quote from: FrankU on May 08, 2022, 11:57:08 AMHi mgb204,
Thanks for your advice.

I was indeed wondering what version to buy. I don't know how Origin and Steam work.
And if it is not DRM free, what is the use anyway? Or does DRM free means it does not require the disc in the CD player and DRM unfree (??) does mean that I have to put the CD in the player? The latter sounds a bit stupid and certainly not practical as my CD player is external.

So playing without internet and without the CD in the player, but wit all the upgrades that make CAM (and all the other stuff of course) possibe is what I am looking for.

GOG is: www.gog.com I suppose?

Thanks in advance!
Frank

Yes. This is GOG

Follow this guide for download SC4 Installer Offline

mgb204

DRM or Digital Rights Management is exactly what required the CD to be present to launch the game and the removal of the driver is the equivalent of loosing the key to your safe, it's no longer usable.

Origin and Steam have altered the DRM so you need to use the requisite launcher in order to play the game, both with an internet requirement although I know Steam allows some form of offline play. The Origin version should generally be avoided, it's missing the EP1 and NiteLighting official patches everyone else includes, but worse still you can't install these vital patches either. The Steam version is perfectly usable, but for me GoG's version is just outright the best one, but this is only 'packaging'. Some people seem to be under the impression that these different sellers somehow alter the game, when every copy of SC4 is ultimately identical in terms of the code.

As such, all mods work with all copies of SC4 identically.

FrankU

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the explanation.
So now I am extra happy that I followed ulisse99's advice. I bought the GoG version and it works like it should.

Greetings,
Frank