• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

New tree controller

Started by Katten Gustaf, November 06, 2008, 05:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katten Gustaf

I have been working on a modified tree controler lately, It's not quite finished yet since the higher elevations still need some work but I wanted to show you what I made this far. I'm making this mod because I want to be able to plant a continuous forrest cover instead of the patches of woodland that most other tree mods produces at lower elevations.

This tree controler plants thick and predominantly deciduous forrest near sea level with occasional open areas in sunny places. As the elevation increases more conifers appear and higher up coniferous forrest dominates. Dryer areas tends to be somewath more open while dark, dense and sometimes moss-covered forrest grow on northen slopes and at the bottom of shaded valleys.

I made a small region for testing and to show what the results look like, region shot below.

Overview of a shallow river valley, showing the deciduous forrest that grows at low elevations.

Close up of the same river.

In sunny places there is some open meadow areas.

In these pictures you can see the transition to coniferous forrest with increasing elevation.

Mixed forrest in the transition zone.

Conifers in the mountains.

I hope you find this interesting, comments and suggestions are of course welcome and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

//Katten Gustaf

mrbisonm

Looks already very good, very *northern hemisphere* like. I will be surely one of the first to try it out, always love new treecontrollers.
<
mrb

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

bob56

very foresty. Cant wait!   &apls
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

papab2000

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

Gaston

I really like this.   Very Kool.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Pat

oooo you defintly caught my eye here Katten for sure!!! If you need a beta tester sign me up!!!  :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Toichus Maximus

Excellent! Hopefully this controller will actually work for me and not just plant lots of maxis pines...

mrbisonm

I mentioned it some time ago in another thread somewhere else and I will again here, seeing that there are still some folks that work on treecontrollers. No one actually has done a tropical or subtropical treecontroller yet. This is maybe something to think about for future creations. Mixed tropical woodlands with palms and other tropical trees, which many (and enough) models already exist, would just be a first in SC4's history.

This is just to put it to your attention, nothing more.

Excellent work, can't wait to try this t-controller above.

mrb ;)

Geronimo

Hey this is great work Katten Gustaf! Been thinking the same myself, why cant it be a more continous controller, and hey look what you came up with! It looks fantastic!

This gonna be very useful!  &apls

Flink pusekatt det...!  :P

Fatsuhono

WOW! I love it. I can't wait to use in my countryside in SC4 cities! :) :thumbsup:

RippleJet

Det var Katten... :thumbsup:

Maybe I should finally start using a custom tree controller as well... ::)

Lilojame

This controler looks realy promissing. I think that I shall be using it when it comes out (it would drasticaly shorten the time that I spend just planting trees, lol).

:thumbsup:

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

Toichus Maximus

A little off topic, but I was wondering... is it possible to use chrisadam's rrp flora (rye grasses, straw, different flowers, and maybe the johnson grass) to make a meadow god-brush? It could be great at the highest elevation for alpine zones if it were possible...

Katten Gustaf

Thanks for your replies everyone, it's nice to see that there is quite some people interested in this. :)

mrbisonm: Now then you mention it I remember reading something along those lines a while ago. Making a tropical tree mod is no technical problem but needs some (read: a lot) of editing with the reader and in-game testing to get it right, and you probably want to model some extra trees depending on what look you are after. It is nothing I plan on doing for the immediate future, but it is surely doable if someone wants to give it a try; I have taken notice and maybe I give it a go at some later time, but no promises, okay?

Toichus Maximus: Incorporating RRP meadow flora into a god mode tree controller shouldn't be any problem, and I think is quite a nice idea for generating highland meadows and moorlands. Is chrisadam's flora ordinary mayor mode plopable flora? I haven't had the chance to try them since the download links in the Rural Renewal Project thread seems to be broken for now, but I have a look at them once they come back online.

Andreas

Yes, Chris' RRP flora are regular BAT models that were modded as ploppable Mayor Mode flora, so it should be easy to use it in a God Mode tree controller as well. Unfortunately, Chris seems to be MIA again at the moment, but hopefully, they will show up at the LEX, once he's returning. :)
Andreas

SimNation

Looks pretty good to me. Might I make a suggestion? The Sub Artic Tree Controller (by Cycledogg) might also look good in the close to shore areas and also near those open meadow areas. I use it that way plenty of times and it gives a pretty good look.

mrbisonm

Quote from: Katten Gustaf on November 11, 2008, 09:19:03 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone, it's nice to see that there is quite some people interested in this. :)

mrbisonm: Now then you mention it I remember reading something along those lines a while ago. Making a tropical tree mod is no technical problem but needs some (read: a lot) of editing with the reader and in-game testing to get it right, and you probably want to model some extra trees depending on what look you are after. It is nothing I plan on doing for the immediate future, but it is surely doable if someone wants to give it a try; I have taken notice and maybe I give it a go at some later time, but no promises, okay?

No promisses?...No problem with me, I mentioned it only so that sup-tropical or tropical treecontrollers are missing, and maybe by mentioning it here and there, someone (hopefully for me and surely for many others) will have the time/patience and knowledge to create a controller one day, nothing more.
I studied the way treecontrollers are made, but found out that it is beyond my knowledge of file tweaking. (I already did some trees with gmax last year)

But thanks for having mentioned it ;) , appreciated.

mrbisonm ;)

emilin

Ser finfint ut! &apls &apls

That looks really good. I think the combination of fur/pines look better than any of the earlier tree controllers.

If you are interested in making more controllers when this one is finished I have a few suggestions... ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine