• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j-dub

http://simcity.ea.com.tw/viewpic.asp?src=content/game/rushhour/screens/screenshot_01_big
So, I assume this intersection on the left will be updated now with turning lanes for the road crossing as well?

Tarkus

Quote from: j-dub on February 19, 2008, 01:11:23 PM

http://simcity.ea.com.tw/viewpic.asp?src=content/game/rushhour/screens/screenshot_01_big
So, I assume this intersection on the left will be updated now with turning lanes for the road crossing as well?

Actually that really isn't related to this project.  That would have more to do with revamping the Avenue Turning Lanes (ATL) Plugin (not Turning Lane Avenues :D).

-Alex (Tarkus)

jplumbley

Re-writing the Turning Lanes Plugins is in my lap right now we will have something that is MUCH better trust me.  Optional Truning Lanes are coming and will be out before any of the TLA Project because so much of the TLA Project depends on the Road network and will not be compatible with the original NAM RTL Plugin, hence, the new Turning Lanes Plugin.  I am in exam week, and will have time next week... IF someone makes me some prototype textures I have been asking for.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

kassarc16

Quote from: Tarkus on February 19, 2008, 04:08:16 PM
Actually that really isn't related to this project.  That would have more to do with revamping the Avenue Turning Lanes (ATL) Plugin (not Turning Lane Avenues :D).

-Alex (Tarkus)

But the TLAs will still contain TLs for intersections, right?

This has got to be the one mod, even counting the RHW and SAM, that is a must-have for me. Not only will my avenues LOOK realistic, but FUNCTION too! The traffic sim will also be happier, I hope.

Pat

hmmmm something bigger and better I wonder what it would be??? Dang nam it, you all are great!!!   BTW Alex I noticed your new avay looking niiiice!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Tarkus

kassarc16, to answer your question, yes, the TLAs will still contain TLs for intersections.  And the coding on them will actually probably be rather similar to whatever we end up using for the revamped ATL Plugin (which I already have some idea of how to implement).  I'm also glad to hear you're looking forward to this project.  I am too, though it's always competing with the RHW for my attention. :D

And Pat, thanks as well for your support.  We appreciate it.  (And thanks for the compliments on my new avatar.)

I will be back with another development update here, hopefully in the not-so-distant future. 

In the meanwhile, I have updated my initial post in this thread (stickied at the top of every page), and have added a lot of new information, in line with what I did with the RHW thread.  There's now an FAQ section (which I will probably be adding more to in the future), and I've also included information on the types of networks that will be contained in the scope of the project, as well as their capacities.  Plus another old development pic of the TLA-5.  ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

kassarc16

I just noticed something else I'm liking about this. Sidewalks will only be in places that need them, and can change depending on zone and wealth! That's a nice side effect of basing this off roads!

AVE-2 - Could this be... not 2 lanes divided by a median?! I think I'm in love! Tell me I'm not dreaming!

Diggis

Quote from: jplumbley on February 19, 2008, 05:24:55 PMIF someone makes me some prototype textures I have been asking for.

I've got them and will look at them for you.  Keep your pants on.  :P

DFire870

Quote from: kassarc16 on February 20, 2008, 12:23:20 AM
AVE-2 - Could this be... not 2 lanes divided by a median?! I think I'm in love! Tell me I'm not dreaming!

Actually, that's the TLA-3. ;) I think the AVE-2 is like a road, but instead of a double-yellow line there's a median. (Which will work great in neighborhoods)

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

el_cozu

woohoo!... it's finally begun to get some form... i think the release is close now!  :thumbsup:

kassarc16

Quote from: DFire870 on February 20, 2008, 05:21:53 AM
Actually, that's the TLA-3. ;) I think the AVE-2 is like a road, but instead of a double-yellow line there's a median. (Which will work great in neighborhoods)

Whoop, that's what I meant. I knew TLA-3 is just a road with a TL, but I hadn't realized what AVE-2 could be until that moment. That had actually been one of the things I wanted to see since back in the days of the start of the RHW project. One of the mod geniuses (maybe it was Tarkus) had shown a pic of a road override that used two side-by-side roads and placed a median in between.

j-dub

Wait, I just thought of something, because they can turn across with no intersection does that mean puzzlepieces like streets can lead up to this thing, technically not attaching and still be functionable continuosly?

el_cozu

Quote from: j-dub on February 20, 2008, 05:50:54 PM
Wait, I just thought of something, because they can turn across with no intersection does that mean puzzlepieces like streets can lead up to this thing, technically not attaching and still be functionable continuosly?
dont exactly get what ur saying...  :-[

Filasimo

Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

jplumbley

Quote from: j-dub on February 20, 2008, 05:50:54 PM

I have to agree with the last two posters... Im not 100% sure what you are asking but here is an answer for my interpretation.

Lets say you have 2 side by side networks, one is a TLA-5 and the other a street, both running parrallel to each other.  Now, they dont have any "physical" intersection between the two since they are parrallel.  A car cannot "jump" from the TLA-5 to the Street using the path system that is currently setup.  This is because the Street doesnt have a path that "joins" up with the left turn path from the TLA-5.  If we modified the path file for the Street tile though and made a "joining" pathto the left turn path from the TLA-5 it would allow such a "jump".  Technically it would be following a predetermined path like every other car, but avoiding intersections.  This is how wider RHWs will work aswell and still be able to be on sloped terrain.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

j-dub

Oh, I see what your saying, I can't guess I can't explain nor proove what I have seen with some weird stuff happen in my game. Because I have done that where there was a puzzle piece, the glr in avenue, a road used to be attached to the avenue, but it got detached, not my choice, so the continuous texture stayed there, and cars would drive over it still and disapear into the avenue, but the query showed it was still used. When you demolish something, the game should detach it so theres a u-turn. The reason I asked is I have seen other wierd stuff where the highway is parralel to a road, but the arrows indicate they jump off the hwy to the road, even though there is no physical connection, but this may just proove the arrows are innacurate because it can't interpret the way cars use the interchanges. And incase anyone wonders what else is goin on down there bottom right, I would just call that stuff all a glitch.

jplumbley

J-Dub... That lot, it must be Transit Enabled for something.  Now you see what my problem is with Transit Enabled Lots when they are used as network pieces.  This may not be a TE Lot for Network tile, but it shows what happens and how it can screw up the pathing.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jplumbley on February 21, 2008, 06:24:32 PM
J-Dub... That lot, it must be Transit Enabled for something.  Now you see what my problem is with Transit Enabled Lots when they are used as network pieces.  This may not be a TE Lot for Network tile, but it shows what happens and how it can screw up the pathing.

Um Jason, that a building showing traffic leaving it.  Just like any other normal Residential building, traffic can leave from any direction it wants to so the sims can go to work.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

jplumbley

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 21, 2008, 06:35:09 PM
Um Jason, that a building showing traffic leaving it.  Just like any other normal Residential building, traffic can leave from any direction it wants to so the sims can go to work.

Dude... Im so dense tonight...  My eyes are droopy from getting 4.5 hours of sleep in 2 nights due to homework.

Street Addon Mod - SAM

Tropod

Quote from: j-dub on February 21, 2008, 04:32:48 PM...........The reason I asked is I have seen other wierd stuff where the highway is parralel to a road, but the arrows indicate they jump off the hwy to the road, even though there is no physical connection, but this may just proove the arrows are innacurate because it can't interpret the way cars use the interchanges........

As the saying goes; a picture paints a thousand words ;).
There are some (existing) instances in which this can & will happen, due to faulty/inaccurate handling of pathing with the game. There are many instances in which Maxis had to hardcode some junctions & other various items due to path jumping.